Bias Head, Positive Grids new amp (Kemper competitor)
Chris Harrington
Mar 4 2016, 10:10 AM
Instructor
Hey Everyone! biggrin.gif

Just woke up to a load of new videos in my sub box about the new Bias Head by Positive Grid. I've been using Bias Amp (plug in) for a while and have been amazed with the tones I can get with it. It has a lot more to offer than Guitar Rig which i've used a lot in the past.

This new Bias Head by positive grid looks to be along the lines of 'Kemper' but matched with the editing ability of the Bias amp software. The Bias amp software can already clone amps and the FX plug in also allows you to clone pedals too but this allows you to load them into a head you can gig with etc.

The pre-orders on it are a little close to Kemper prices apparently.

I love using the software as its hassle free great tone for recording but for live maybe this gives the Kemper some competition?

Anyone else using Bias?

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris Harrington: Mar 4 2016, 10:11 AM

--------------------
Check out my LESSONS.
My YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 4 2016, 01:11 PM
GMC Founder
Looks promising! I like the fact that the company dares throw out an A/B comparison in their own promo video - it's a good sign. Bias has a great resume of quality amp software, so this should be a serious attempt at competing with Kemper.

I am not that impressed they choose to design it so closely looking to the kemper toaster though, but I guess that's fine.

I have never tried any Bias product myself but I know others here have.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 4 2016, 03:29 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I wouldn't consider it a Kemper competitor since it doesn't have cabinet emulation. Probably the closest competitor is the Marshall Code, except the Bias unit doesn't have a cabinet or effects. And it costs more than twice as much as the Code!

I'm not sure there are many people out there who would want a hardware modeler with no cabinet or cabinet emulation, but it's interesting to see someone try to carve out a new niche in the market.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 4 2016, 03:34 PM
GMC:er
Never tried the kemper but doesn't it take a sonic snapshot (sampling) while bias requires to select components like the program?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 4 2016, 03:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 4 2016, 04:09 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 4 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Never tried the kemper but doesn't it take a sonic snapshot (sampling) while bias requires to select components like the program?

The Bias head has amp matching. But that's not very useful without cabinet profiling. The only thing it's useful for is the strange example Fluff demoed in the video: you must match the amp head through the same cabinet you intend to use the Bias head with. That means it wouldn't be useful to someone else, so there's not much point to sharing it, which means it's really only useful to do amp matching of heads you already own. But the bigger problem is: if you're going to take your cabinet with you to your gig, why would you take the Bias head instead of the real head you used for the amp matching?

+Quote Post
Chris Harrington
Mar 4 2016, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 4 2016, 03:09 PM) *
The Bias head has amp matching. But that's not very useful without cabinet profiling. The only thing it's useful for is the strange example Fluff demoed in the video: you must match the amp head through the same cabinet you intend to use the Bias head with. That means it wouldn't be useful to someone else, so there's not much point to sharing it, which means it's really only useful to do amp matching of heads you already own. But the bigger problem is: if you're going to take your cabinet with you to your gig, why would you take the Bias head instead of the real head you used for the amp matching?

I think they're trying to build a similar community as Kemper. Their Bias Amp and Bias FX already have thousands of cloned amps and pedals by the users so I guess the user will be able to get clones of amps they don't own.

--------------------
Check out my LESSONS.
My YouTube

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 4 2016, 04:42 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Chris Harrington @ Mar 4 2016, 03:13 PM) *
I think they're trying to build a similar community as Kemper. Their Bias Amp and Bias FX already have thousands of cloned amps and pedals by the users so I guess the user will be able to get clones of amps they don't own.

Unlike the Bias software, you can't load up the matching cabinet IR into an IR player. Unlike Kemper or an AxeFX, the profile doesn't include the cabinet. So it doesn't make much sense to share a cloned amp for use in a Bias head. In other words, the mystery is: what does Fluff do next in his video? It would make no sense for him to buy a Bias head to take to a gig instead of his Peavey MH head. He might as well just take the Peavey he already owns. If he wants flexibility or convenience, he would be a lot better off with a Kemper Powerhead or Marshall Code or an AxeFX plus a power amp instead of a Bias head plus a cabinet. Those alternatives to the Bias head are either far cheaper or far more powerful.

Sometimes when nobody else makes a product like yours, there's a good reason for that smile.gif.

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Mar 4 2016, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
Chris Harrington
Mar 4 2016, 04:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 4 2016, 03:42 PM) *
Unlike the Bias software, you can't load up the matching cabinet IR. Unlike Kemper or an AxeFX, the profile doesn't include the cabinet. So it doesn't make much sense to share a cloned amp for use in a Bias head. In other words, the mystery is: what does Fluff do next in his video? It would make no sense for him to buy a Bias head to take to a gig instead of his Peavey MH head. He might as well just take the Peavey he already owns. If he wants flexibility or convenience, he would be a lot better off with a Kemper Powerhead or Marshall Code or an AxeFX plus a power amp instead of a Bias head plus a cabinet. Those alternatives to the Bias head are either far cheaper or far more powerful.

Sometimes when nobody else makes a product like yours, there's a good reason for that smile.gif.

Yeah true, as i said before though it isn't that you would only load your own cloned amps into the bias head there is a 'tone cloud' so you could download Fluffs Peavey etc like the Kemper community does.

Totally agree though I think the flexibility for live comes with CODE amps as the price and tone possibilities are great.

--------------------
Check out my LESSONS.
My YouTube

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 4 2016, 05:27 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Chris Harrington @ Mar 4 2016, 03:56 PM) *
Yeah true, as i said before though it isn't that you would only load your own cloned amps into the bias head there is a 'tone cloud' so you could download Fluffs Peavey etc like the Kemper community does.

I think you may be missing the importance of the cabinet. Fluff is playing through his cabinet with his mic, placed and recorded a specific way. If he shared his amp clone with you, you could load it into a Bias head, but it would sound nothing like his because you have a different cabinet, mic, etc. In other words, the only reason the A/B comparison at the end of the video sounded the same was because he was using the same cabinet and mic in both cases.

With a Kemper or AxeFX, a shared profile includes an IR to capture those factors. A Bias amp clone does not include an IR. With Bias software he could share an IR that you could load into an IR player to capture the cabinet, but you don't have that option with the Bias head.

P.S. One other option with the Bias head would be to use it with a Torpedo IR player. But that would mean spending a lot of money for a modeler rig that doesn't even have effects smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Chris Harrington
Mar 4 2016, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 4 2016, 04:27 PM) *
I think you may be missing the importance of the cabinet. Fluff is playing through his cabinet with his mic, placed and recorded a specific way. If he shared his amp clone with you, you could load it into a Bias head, but it would sound nothing like his because you have a different cabinet, mic, etc. In other words, the only reason the A/B comparison at the end of the video sounded the same was because he was using the same cabinet and mic in both cases.

With a Kemper or AxeFX, a shared profile includes an IR to capture those factors. A Bias amp clone does not include an IR. With Bias software he could share an IR that you could load into an IR player to capture the cabinet, but you don't have that option with the Bias head.

P.S. One other option with the Bias head would be to use it with a Torpedo IR player. But that would mean spending a lot of money for a modeler rig that doesn't even have effects smile.gif.

Ah I get you! I didn't think of the capturing process, with their FX plug in you play in straight through the pedal into the soundcard so it only picks up the FX this is a bigger problem with the amp. I know Fluff uses two notes torpedo but again thats just emulating a cab. This does seem pretty open to customers having a headache down the line.

I'm glad you could shed some light on this biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my LESSONS.
My YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2016, 03:23 AM
This is really just the hardware version of their plugin it seems. It's basically a stripped down computer running the plugin it seems. Handy for what it is, especially if you already are a fan of the plugin and such. It does seem a pinch pricey considering that it lacks fx and cab ir. I wonder if they offer such things in the next release or amp update?

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 5 2016, 01:58 PM
Experienced Rock Star
That's a good point. The Bias head won't be available for sale until August. My comments are based on what I could learn about it when it was announced last September. A lot could change between September and August.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2016, 08:51 PM
True smile.gif Lots can change. But they are showing a unit being demoed by folks so I'm guessing it won't be too far off. Still, if you love the plugin and want to take a lunchbox amp with you to a gig instead of your laptop, this would do the trick smile.gif To be honest, I am starting to think even a pod hd bean (bought one recently) with foot controller would work fine for small gigs just going to the mixing board and it's a lot less stuff to tote around. I used to not mind at all toting a half stack and rack of fx but now I mind. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 5 2016, 07:58 AM) *
That's a good point. The Bias head won't be available for sale until August. My comments are based on what I could learn about it when it was announced last September. A lot could change between September and August.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 5 2016, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 5 2016, 07:51 PM) *
To be honest, I am starting to think even a pod hd bean (bought one recently) with foot controller would work fine for small gigs just going to the mixing board and it's a lot less stuff to tote around. I used to not mind at all toting a half stack and rack of fx but now I mind. smile.gif

If tones are setuped at home with good monitor or headphones, it would be great smile.gif There are many bad comments on processors on gigs sounding bad but I feel this is mostly related to user mistakes.

By the way, I read somewhere they're (bias) working on the pedal too that works like this amp. I guess that would be more interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2016, 02:40 AM
So many folks seem to be moving to processor/direct to front of house mixer these days. I guess it just makes more sense finacialy that paying to ship large guitar rigs around the country. Periphery sometimes tour with just their axe fx rack and their own monitor mixer to be sure to hear themselves onstage.

My 11 rack sounds better than the pod HD IMHO, but it's also a larger rack mount device that needs a rack to live in. The pod bean HD can live anywhere, even on the drum riser etc. just needs a power plug and bam instant rig and no sore back the next day smile.gif The pod HD bean has a good size/tone balance it seems. E.g. sounds pretty goood for it's size.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 5 2016, 03:29 PM) *
If tones are setuped at home with good monitor or headphones, it would be great smile.gif There are many bad comments on processors on gigs sounding bad but I feel this is mostly related to user mistakes.

By the way, I read somewhere they're (bias) working on the pedal too that works like this amp. I guess that would be more interesting.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:02 AM