What To Buy?
Heyuintheshirt
Mar 27 2008, 06:42 AM
GMC:er
I've been looking to buy an audio interface for my computer and I was wondering what type of interface is considered the best firewire, usb, sound card, or is it just preference? Also what would you recommend for $200 or less.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 27 2008, 07:33 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Well, I use the Echo Audiofire 4 soundcard. That's the best I've tried so far (and I've tried a few..) smile.gif
It's a little more than $200, I think it's around $300 actually..

Very easy to use and very good firewire soundcard!
There are smaller and bigger versions of this soundcard, but this is what I recommend!

link: http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire...Fire4/index.php

For $200 and under I'd probably recommend E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 soundcard as I've tried it and heard it in action a few times and it's really good smile.gif I think that's around $200, check it out smile.gif

link: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?ca...p;product=15185

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 27 2008, 08:03 AM
Singing Instructor
I would go with E mu 0404...I am a E mu fan. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 27 2008, 09:25 AM
Instructor
And check some M-Audio PCI models, Audiophile and Delta smile.gif

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=produc...D=PCIinterfaces

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 27 2008, 11:06 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I would recommend line6 toneport interface..You get various software simulations etc..It acts as external soundcard doing playback and recording smile.gif Its very straightforward.What do you want to record ?

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Mar 27 2008, 11:54 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 27 2008, 11:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've been looking quite a bit on external firewire soundcards myself just rescently.

After asking around and reading up I found that Presonus Firebox and TC Electronics konnekt8 has all I need.
The usual inputs and MIDI and they are said to be stable soundcards. I was also recommended Motu but that's out of my league, they cost a lot and the quality is supposed to be very high.

if you go to Presonus they have a neat demo there.

I was supposed to use the soudcard with MIDI keyboard (got USB aswell), mike, POD X3 and headphones including possibility to connect to PA or mixer. Firexbox and Konnekt8 had all of that.

But in the end I bought the POD X3 to start with and noticed it works brilliantly as a soundcard on it's own. It brought new life to my computer that saw sagging, when I recorded five audio tracks + Vsti drums - it was dead.
The X3 handles both recording and playback brilliantly, which my Guitarport couldn't which would record but not keep up on the playback simultaniously (I suspect it left that part to the internal soundcard)

So I'm sticking with the POD X3 for the time beeing, I don't see that I need a soundcard as it is now and the POD can record vocals aswell, and bass. The keyboards I'll run through the USB. Not a big sacrifice for me.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 27 2008, 12:09 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 27 2008, 11:44 AM) *
I've been looking quite a bit on external firewire soundcards myself just rescently.

After asking around and reading up I found that Presonus Firebox and TC Electronics konnekt8 has all I need.
The usual inputs and MIDI and they are said to be stable soundcards. I was also recommended Motu but that's out of my league, they cost a lot and the quality is supposed to be very high.

if you go to Presonus they have a neat demo there.

I was supposed to use the soudcard with MIDI keyboard (got USB aswell), mike, POD X3 and headphones including possibility to connect to PA or mixer. Firexbox and Konnekt8 had all of that.

But in the end I bought the POD X3 to start with and noticed it works brilliantly as a soundcard on it's own. It brought new life to my computer that saw sagging, when I recorded five audio tracks + Vsti drums - it was dead.
The X3 handles both recording and playback brilliantly, which my Guitarport couldn't which would record but not keep up on the playback simultaniously (I suspect it left that part to the internal soundcard)

So I'm sticking with the POD X3 for the time beeing, I don't see that I need a soundcard as it is now and the POD can record vocals aswell, and bass. The keyboards I'll run through the USB. Not a big sacrifice for me.

Oh yes, I forgot about those..
Presonus and TC Electronic has some good audio interfaces as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 12:18 PM
Instructor
It is basically all down to what you really need. DO you want to record something with it right away? Is this your first card? There are some nice options in the price range, but audio interface is a wide term also. Must know for what you'll be using it so we can give you some detailed advice. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 27 2008, 12:19 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 27 2008, 01:04 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 27 2008, 12:18 PM) *
It is basically all down to what you really need. DO you want to record something with it right away? Is this your first card? There are some nice options in the price range, but audio interface is a wide term also. Must know for what you'll be using it so we can give you some detailed advice. smile.gif

Absolutely - it would help if you can let us know how many inputs and outputs and what types of connections and what you want to connect. Also do you only want an external interface, or doesn't it matter and what computer will it connect to (pc or mac or linux etc). Is it 'just' an interface or do you also need it to come with recording (ie sequencer) software, effects etc? I realise this can sound like a lot of info but the more you can tell us the better we can help as there is an awful lot to choose from smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Heyuintheshirt
Mar 28 2008, 02:05 AM
I appreciate all the advice so far. This is my first sound card so I don't really know much about what I'm getting and I'm using a PC with windows. I plan on using it just to record some of my own music that I've made. I believe I'll only need one input just for my guitar. If possible I'd like for it to come with some programs, but I was wondering if there are any free programs I can download. Also I know a guy who is selling all of his guitars and equipment and he has a PreSonus Firebox and I may be able to get it deal on that, do you think that would be my best option?

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 28 2008, 02:44 AM
Instructor
I havent tried the Firebox myself, but i've heard good things about it.

For free programs you can download, you can try out Mu.Lab Free. It's only got 8 tracks, but it supports vst's and all.

http://www.mutools.com/products.html

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 29 2008, 01:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Heyuintheshirt @ Mar 28 2008, 02:05 AM) *
I appreciate all the advice so far. This is my first sound card so I don't really know much about what I'm getting and I'm using a PC with windows. I plan on using it just to record some of my own music that I've made. I believe I'll only need one input just for my guitar. If possible I'd like for it to come with some programs, but I was wondering if there are any free programs I can download. Also I know a guy who is selling all of his guitars and equipment and he has a PreSonus Firebox and I may be able to get it deal on that, do you think that would be my best option?

As a suggestion - for guitar you should make sure that the interface has a HiZ 1/4 inch jack input if you want to record the guitar direct. For versatility an XLR input would help - that way you could use a microphone to record your amp as well. Sorry I've never used a Firebox but I've heard good things about it and Presonus are a good make- if you can get a good deal though then it's worth a look. Maybe ask the guy if you can try it out just to make sure it works for you though? If it doesn't I'd suggest going to a music shop and talking to the staff there about interfaces and what you need - they should help and let you try some software etc out smile.gif .

Software wise - take a look at the stickie on the Recording forum page for freeware/shareware. To record with your pc you will need a sequencer (bit like a virtual mixing desk and multi-track recorder). Most software sequencers also come with some additional software - instruments (ie synths and drum machines) and effects (ie distortion, reverb, echo plug-ins) for recording - and if you need more there are again lots of extras available from freeware through to commercial software.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 29 2008, 10:42 PM
Instructor
for 200 $ you can buy sound card from audio gy with panel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2008, 11:06 PM
Instructor
I recommend Toneport UX1 in that price range. It is generally a very decent option. You can find a review on the Gear Review Board too. It has one instrument input, one Microphone input and even lets you record them simultaneosly. Also ita has Gearbox guitar modelling software that is decent for some quick pilot stuff and comes bundled with ABletone Live Lite.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
man0mule
Apr 3 2008, 09:10 PM
I dont have much experience with audio interfaces. I did buy an m-audio jamlab originally. it's a little box with a 1/4" in for guitar and 1/8" out for headphones. it's nice but didn't really give me what i wanted. Plus after a few recordings i noticed that the metronome was bleeding out of the headphone jack and into my input. (i could hear it on the final recording.)

so i looked around for something else. My friend had a presounus firepod. after playing around with it I decided I wanted one as well. Problem is they arn't made anymore. The newer Version of it is the Presonus Firestudio Project.
8 simultaneous in is more than i'm going to need but i wanted more than 1 in so if i had company i could record everyone at once. I think they retail for about $400 but i got mine on sale around christmas for $320. The only problem I have with the interface is that they havn't released vista 64 drivers for it yet.

The presonus Firestudio project might be more than your looking for, but i thought i would mention it. Also wanted to mention how happy i am with the product. If the quality of the cheaper presonus models are as nice as the Firestudio Project than i would highly recommend them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Apr 3 2008, 10:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Well i just bought a lightsnake and there flipping awesome no drivers nothing usb into your computer 1/4 jack plug with splitter the easiest thing in the world to use all you need then is a recording prog check it out guys review coming soon

Light Snake

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:44 PM