Ibanez Rg655 And Headstock Tuner
liveOASISforever
Mar 30 2016, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
Recently I have being really tempted in purchasing a Ibanez RG655. I have played cheaper Ibanez guitar before and did not really take to them. However I dear say a MIJ will be a different story. From what I have read it is all good news so far. I know we have some massive Ibanez fans here at GMC. What is you're input.

Attached Image

I was looking for one with the maple fretboard. I know they exist but doesn't seem that they are available in the UK.

Also between the 3 available colours that I have seen there is a price difference of £100 and the one I like the most is the dearest laugh.gif

Below is the different colours
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/search-resu...asp?search=true

I was also looking into buying a headstock tuner. Has anyone any suggestions. Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Chris S.
Mar 30 2016, 09:53 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not much help when it comes to Ibanez but as far as headstock tuners go this is what I use:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...MF-adType%5EPLA

I've had that thing for 7 years, only had to change the battery once or twice - and I find it as accurate as any pedal tuner I've used so far.

smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 30 2016, 10:00 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Yes, there's a step up in quality with the Prestige MIJ models, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And it has those premium pickups. I recently put a Tone Zone in one of mine, and I'm very happy with it. They've switched the bridge recently on this model to the Edge, which is a tried-and-true design. The maple fretboards can be nice, but it depends on the body color, whereas the rosewood always looks good smile.gif.

The CBM is a deep metallic finish, which doesn't seem to show in your picture, so you may get a pleasant surprise when you see it in person smile.gif. Sorry, I've no experience with a headstock tuner.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 31 2016, 12:00 AM
Slight detail maybe but I've always prefered rosewood if the guitars neck doesn't use binding, the hand slides better when touches the corners of the neck.

I have mixed feeling for the air-norton but aside that such guitar should serve you well for years as mine did. They should be shred ready from factory but a pro setup after purchasing always makes a difference.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 31 2016, 12:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2016, 03:58 AM
That's a fine axe smile.gif The MIJ ibby's are a pleasure to play for sure. That's a nice one there. You maybe be able to find a better deal used of course, but then you really need to play it first, especially with that kind of expenditure. But not matter how you slice it it's a fine axe and you won't regret owning it IMHO smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 30 2016, 03:29 PM) *
Recently I have being really tempted in purchasing a Ibanez RG655. I have played cheaper Ibanez guitar before and did not really take to them. However I dear say a MIJ will be a different story. From what I have read it is all good news so far. I know we have some massive Ibanez fans here at GMC. What is you're input.

Attached Image

I was looking for one with the maple fretboard. I know they exist but doesn't seem that they are available in the UK.

Also between the 3 available colours that I have seen there is a price difference of £100 and the one I like the most is the dearest laugh.gif

Below is the different colours
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/search-resu...asp?search=true

I was also looking into buying a headstock tuner. Has anyone any suggestions. Cheers

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 31 2016, 07:29 AM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Mar 30 2016, 09:53 PM) *
I'm not much help when it comes to Ibanez but as far as headstock tuners go this is what I use:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...MF-adType%5EPLA

I've had that thing for 7 years, only had to change the battery once or twice - and I find it as accurate as any pedal tuner I've used so far.

smile.gif

Cheers Chris. That is mostly what I was looking for. One that would match up to a pedal.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 30 2016, 10:00 PM) *
Yes, there's a step up in quality with the Prestige MIJ models, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And it has those premium pickups. I recently put a Tone Zone in one of mine, and I'm very happy with it. They've switched the bridge recently on this model to the Edge, which is a tried-and-true design. The maple fretboards can be nice, but it depends on the body color, whereas the rosewood always looks good smile.gif.

The CBM is a deep metallic finish, which doesn't seem to show in your picture, so you may get a pleasant surprise when you see it in person smile.gif. Sorry, I've no experience with a headstock tuner.

Yeah I really like the pickups in this guitar. Looks like I am going to have to settle for a rosewood fretboard as the only ones i can find are in the US and import plus delivery charges are very costly. Cheers mate smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 31 2016, 12:00 AM) *
Slight detail maybe but I've always prefered rosewood if the guitars neck doesn't use binding, the hand slides better when touches the corners of the neck.

I have mixed feeling for the air-norton but aside that such guitar should serve you well for years as mine did. They should be shred ready from factory but a pro setup after purchasing always makes a difference.

You know I have never had a pro setup on my guitars. Overtime I paid someone to give it a setup I wasn't very pleased with it. I do know someone that has got a very good reputation and have considered in the past to take to him but never did. Maybe I should start now I really would like to see the difference smile.gif

Cheers mate

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2016, 03:58 AM) *
That's a fine axe smile.gif The MIJ ibby's are a pleasure to play for sure. That's a nice one there. You maybe be able to find a better deal used of course, but then you really need to play it first, especially with that kind of expenditure. But not matter how you slice it it's a fine axe and you won't regret owning it IMHO smile.gif

Todd

Thats good to know Todd definitely think I have my heart set on it. I will go and try it first especially because the value of the guitar. I don't mind spending £300 to £400 on a guitar and not liking it and selling it on at a loss.

I think I am going to buy it new I don't mid spending the extra money smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 31 2016, 08:30 AM
Its really about communication, for example I pick really light so prefer the strings to be very close and the neck streight as possible.

With the distortion I use, string buzz on E or B strings produce a nice sound as the thick natured dimarzio PU (using same PU's on that guitar but modified) helps this. The Jackson's PU's for example are really bright compared and I can't get that string buzz to sound as nice with the same setup.

So a luthier can't know these personal preferences, the guy I usually go usually plays safe and can't help it even if he knows what I like smile.gif he does an overall good job (basic setup, fret polish/level...adjusted the nut of my jackson recently) and I tweak the setup after him smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2016, 12:48 PM
I'm dying to know!! Did you by that killer IBBY? smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 30 2016, 09:58 PM) *

Todd

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 8 2016, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 8 2016, 12:48 PM) *
I'm dying to know!! Did you by that killer IBBY? smile.gif

Hi Todd

A little update for you. Tomorrow I am going to try one out and see if I like it. I have being checking out other ibanez guitars in the same price bracket and this model has caught my eye

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg652ahm-ng...oE4MaAsHl8P8HAQ

Only problem is I think it was mainly set for the US market and it is not the easiest to get a hold of in the UK. I contacted Andertons music shop and they had one due in on May but it is already reserved. The next one is due June time. There is also one with a fixed bridge. A gibralter standard II I believe it is called. I would prefer the one with the trem tbh. Not sure whether to wait for the RG652 or just get the RG655.

The main reason I want a Ibanez is for the thin necks. I have problems with my hands and forearms with pain and them seizing up. I broke a bone in my hand when I was younger and never went to hospital.It has healed with a lump sticking out my hand that recently has being giving me problems. So am hoping a Ibanez neck will make things a little easier for me smile.gif

Here is the guitar in action

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:22 AM