2 Pages V   1 2 >  
With Friends Like These...
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 31 2011, 12:52 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
We went to the UK for a week to attend a wedding. Whilst we were away some of my wife's friends from the UK stayed at our house for the week. We got back on Thursday to hear them complain that

1/ The car is 'not road safe'.
They used our car, without permission, to tour and in 1 week drove over 1200kms. The day before we got back they had a minor crash and claimed that the footbrake didn't work, hence the crash. It had just passed its ITV and been serviced last month. We got a mechanic to check the car over - nothing wrong with it at all. Their comment,' well maybe we're not used to driving on the wrong side of the road and hit the accelerator instead but that's not our fault...'

2/ 'We ran out of water'. Our house is fed from 2 wells, each was full when we left and a full well is enough for 6 weeks of water. The wells take time to refill so we've had to have water brought in by road tanker.

3/ 'We couldn't find the cat food.' It's in a big bin labeled Cat Food in the kitchen and there's extra in the pantry. Even so they didn't go to town and buy any they just didn't feed the cats.

4/ There's ants in ther kitchen. They spilt food and drink on the floor and the work surfaces but didn't clean it up.

5/ It was too hot to walk the dog. Not if you walk him early morning and late evening...

I could go on but suffice to say I don't think they'll be visiting with us again anytime soon.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 31 2011, 01:13 PM
Instructor
Hell, that's a nightmare.. that's like something out of a Jack Dee sketch isn't it ? These are people you read about or hear comedians talk about but you can never quite believe they really exist.

I truly can't believe that about the car. Not only that but, regardless of what side of the road you drive on, the foot controls stay the same. dry.gif

That must have been so awkward.. society dictates that you have to retain that politeness with people even when you're seething inside.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 31 2011, 01:32 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Do you still call them "friends" ?
Their behaviour clearly is far from what you would expect from grown-ups...
This makes me wonder: should you tell people to feel like home when they visit you? Would be safer if you knew how their home looks, I suppose.
I hope your cats and the dog are well at least...must have been quite a week for them as well!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 31 2011, 02:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow...they sound like a real piece of work....I doubt they will get an Invite babk again...at least they didn't touch your Guitar...did they? ohmy.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 31 2011, 02:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
hey , I am looking for a place for my wife and 7 kids to vacation at , and i hear you are the one I need to talk too ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 31 2011, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 31 2011, 03:48 PM) *
hey , I am looking for a place for my wife and 7 kids to vacation at , and i hear you are the one I need to talk too ohmy.gif

Lol ,that's priceless ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 31 2011, 04:10 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
They forgot to set your house on fire.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 31 2011, 09:16 PM
Instructor
I would've probably fainted or smthing sad.gif I am super obsessed with order and the way my home is kept smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 1 2011, 11:37 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 31 2011, 01:13 PM) *

That must have been so awkward.. society dictates that you have to retain that politeness with people even when you're seething inside.

Very true Ben - at one point my wife was actually apologising to them until I stopped her rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 31 2011, 01:32 PM) *
Do you still call them "friends" ?
Their behaviour clearly is far from what you would expect from grown-ups...
This makes me wonder: should you tell people to feel like home when they visit you? Would be safer if you knew how their home looks, I suppose.
I hope your cats and the dog are well at least...must have been quite a week for them as well!

Well my wife does. We've since talked about our approach to having guests. Up to now we've always assumed that people will treat our home etc the way we would treat theirs. Now we think we might have to put n some basic guidelines...

Cats and dog have all survived, though the cats are noticebly thinner. All of them were very pleased to see us smile.gif .

One astute comment from my daughter. At meal times all the cats go and sit next to their food container so it's impossible to miss it unless the cats weren't allowed in the house dry.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 1 2011, 11:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 1 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Very true Ben - at one point my wife was actually apologising to them until I stopped her rolleyes.gif

Well my wife does. We've since talked about our approach to having guests. Up to now we've always assumed that people will treat our home etc the way we would treat theirs. Now we think we might have to put n some basic guidelines...

Cats and dog have all survived, though the cats are noticebly thinner. All of them were very pleased to see us smile.gif .

One astute comment from my daughter. At meal times all the cats go and sit next to their food container so it's impossible to miss it unless the cats weren't allowed in the house dry.gif

My dogs would've probably eaten the friends with their clothes and all biggrin.gif they sure know how to ask for food biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 1 2011, 02:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
some people... ohmy.gif

And what amazes me is that two of the same kind can be equally irresponsible. Or maybe that's the reason why they paired up in the first place.

Just curious, did the at least fill the car up after their joy ride? I'd be surprised.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 1 2011, 02:58 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 1 2011, 02:32 PM) *
some people... ohmy.gif

And what amazes me is that two of the same kind can be equally irresponsible. Or maybe that's the reason why they paired up in the first place.

Just curious, did the at least fill the car up after their joy ride? I'd be surprised.

Oddly enough they were a mother (61 yrs) and daughter (32 yrs). Oh and nope they didn't put any petrol in the car rolleyes.gif . The mother did complain that my daughter drank a can of coke that her daughter had in the firdge though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2011, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Well, it's different with different people, if they are not used to the way you keep your home. Could they be possibly "spoiled" by the urban life or something smile.gif

All jokes aside, those comments from them definitely show lack of care.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2011, 07:11 PM
Instructor
hahaha that's not exactly what you can name friends.... it's so weird... and even more if you know them well and you didn't imagine that this could happen.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 2 2011, 12:35 AM
The Dark Canuck
WOW....

the nerve of some people. I'm leaving shortly for vacation and I've had the same friend take care of my house for the last 10 yrs... he's my pooches "Dogfather" as he affectionately calls himself. I am very lucky as he is very responsible and loves my puppers as much as me smile.gif He never complains... unless I forget to have freezer full of popsicles LOL!!

I could only imagine coming home to such an ordeal... I probably would have had to have been held back if I came home and my dogs were neglected... that would be a "Susan Smash!!" kind of event LOL!!

Sorry you had to go through that Tony... but hey next time ya need a house sitter I'll do it smile.gif I just need airfare wink.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 2 2011, 12:38 AM
Instructor
wow my friend, that's too much, i would have screamed my life out in your situation, im happy your pets are good, that's so so so so so bad.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 2 2011, 04:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 31 2011, 02:48 PM) *

I am sorry ,is it too soon laugh.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Aug 2 2011, 04:18 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 2 2011, 04:46 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you never see them again then it was probably worth the aggravation.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2011, 10:24 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 2 2011, 04:16 AM) *
I am sorry ,is it too soon laugh.gif

Asked the wife and she says it's ok if you pay your own air fares, don't mind sleeping in a tent in the field (might be shared with some sheep and a sheepdog), bring/hire your own transport, buy your own food and water, and take us out for a couple of expensive meals (you pay) as a thankyou smile.gif .

Seriously though, over the years we've had loads of people come visit both whilst we're here in situ and whilst we've been away. Most are fine and the odd one or two are awful.

One of the best was always positive about everything and where we live and he was both generous and great company. He insisted on taking us out for a meal and also paid for the weekly shop as a thankyou. When he got back to the UK he sent us an icecream maker as an extra thankyou. He can always come again smile.gif .

One of the worst was my wife's sister and brother in law. They don't drive so we had to collect them from, and return them to, the airport (2 hours away). They, and their 2 children, stayed with us for 2 weeks and in a hotel at the beach for 1 more week. Because they couldn't drive and because our car can only seat 5 we had to hire a 7 seater for the 2 weeks - we paid for it and ended up driving them around every day. Our daughter had to sleep with us for the 2 weeks because they insisted that their 2 girls needed a bedroom each. During that time they continually complained about the weather, the food, Spanish TV, Public Transport, the house, where we live, the local town, the local cities and were rude to our Spanish neighbours... (One time the brother in law ordered an asparagus omlette in a restaurant and then complained that it had asparagus in it rolleyes.gif . He called one neighbour 'an ignorant peasant' to his face assuming that the guy couldn't understand English: wrong, he did his Masters in the US and is neither ignorant nor a peasant.) They also broke several ornaments of ours but didn't tell us. When I collected them to go to the airport they had left the hotel without paying. Then they said they had no money and claimed that they hadn't realised they had to pay for the room - duh yeah it's a hotel - so I paid. Took them 6 months before they gave me the money back. Oh and he's a vicar.

You can at least chose friends wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2011, 12:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 2 2011, 12:35 AM) *
I'm leaving shortly for vacation and I've had the same friend take care of my house for the last 10 yrs... he's my pooches "Dogfather" as he affectionately calls himself.

That's awesome !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 2 2011, 10:24 AM) *
One of the worst was my wife's sister and brother in law. They don't drive so we had to collect them from, and return them to, the airport (2 hours away). They, and their 2 children, stayed with us for 2 weeks and in a hotel at the beach for 1 more week. Because they couldn't drive and because our car can only seat 5 we had to hire a 7 seater for the 2 weeks - we paid for it and ended up driving them around every day. Our daughter had to sleep with us for the 2 weeks because they insisted that their 2 girls needed a bedroom each. During that time they continually complained about the weather, the food, Spanish TV, Public Transport, the house, where we live, the local town, the local cities and were rude to our Spanish neighbours... (One time the brother in law ordered an asparagus omlette in a restaurant and then complained that it had asparagus in it rolleyes.gif . He called one neighbour 'an ignorant peasant' to his face assuming that the guy couldn't understand English: wrong, he did his Masters in the US and is neither ignorant nor a peasant.) They also broke several ornaments of ours but didn't tell us. When I collected them to go to the airport they had left the hotel without paying. Then they said they had no money and claimed that they hadn't realised they had to pay for the room - duh yeah it's a hotel - so I paid. Took them 6 months before they gave me the money back. Oh and he's a vicar.

You can at least chose friends wink.gif

That's beyond acceptable ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:14 AM