2 Pages V  < 1 2  
80s Impro..., ...sorry for creating another thread
kjutte
Aug 8 2008, 06:18 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 10:29 PM) *
Hey all. Thought I'd share this improvisation I did over the same backing as TJchep.

Critique, please! laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YJgiUvZoGg

Timing some of the legato and faster picking - since you asked for it.
Must say I loved the jam man, great job!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2008, 12:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Aug 8 2008, 04:58 AM) *
That's hard for me to answer because I have never used a GT6.

It looks like a POD xt live or something. Is it a modeling device like that?

I use a Line6 UX1 for recording and a Line6 Flextone 3 for playing live. What I have learned about amp models when recording is less is more in some cases. The patches I use with my live rig are nowhere close to the ones I record with. They are toned down quite a bit. When I work on a tone I listen to it through the UX1, Gearbox and the DAW. When it sounds good I record. Then I render it to mp3 and listen. Do it and you will see what I mean? What you hear when you are recording, sounds different after the recording and render. If it doesn't sound right I adjust and repeat the process.

Now to try and help based on what I hear and your settings. If that was my recording I would.......

I like Marshall models or Saldano for an amp. A Rectifier model like your using seems to record harsh or fuzzy to me (can sound really good with the live rig though). Cabinet choice makes a big difference in tone as well as the mic distance and type. Watch out with the compressor. I don't even use it when I record. It makes things sound fuzzy and takes away the natural tone and picking dynamics of your playing if you're not careful. EQ I wouldn't worry about till after you record and you get nit picky. You can always change that with a VST EQ and it will give you more flexibility. The same goes with adding delay and reverb. Record with less, you can always add more with a VST.

If it were I would back the high end off (Presence), no compression (or very little), turn off the EQ (if the amp doesn't sound good without it then maybe choose another), delay in the mix turn up a little and add some reverb (that will give you depth and warmth). Try something medium to big and play with the mix to dry. This can make a big difference.

Hope this was helpful. I will shut up now and go to bed.

Thanks for the help, man! Yes, it's very much like the Pod XT.

I will try and follow some of your advice, though I could have told myself about the reverb.

When recording videoes though I do not record the audio in Cubase and make a audio track there and then afterwards add it to the video. I just record it all in one file with the program that came with my webcam. It is a bit easier, to be honest.

Anyways, thanks for the help, I'll be sure to look into it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:05 PM