Fusion Jam Advanced Or Any Fusion Stuff, Just Confused
theultrazone
Apr 9 2010, 05:09 PM
GMC:er
Hi Muris,

I do enjoy your Fusion stuff and it's really fun to play this kind of things..
But there is one think that made me crazy.

I didn't understand what you are playing.
I am feeling like a parrot just copying your licks.

But that is not my Target.
I want to Jam along by myself.. on my own licks.

To take for example your Backing Track and Jam with my own stuff..

But that didn't work like it does in the Pentatonic area.

I am really wondering what i need to do to made my own jammings.

Please can you help me understanding how this music works and what are the key points i have to learn or to train or to listen to get a selfmade jam?

Cheers
Alex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 9 2010, 09:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hmmmm, I don't really see what You mean with the term "Fusion" here, since there are a lot of sub-genres. Eg. there are rock-fusion, jazz-fusion, fusion between african music and jazz, latin-fusion etc. The term "fusion" is really a meltdown of different styles, and to play it a broad knowledge is recommended imo.
One of the most essential knowledges though, is to master the fretboard and the modes - most fusion is based on key changes played kinda modal. It is really a very free kind of music, but if You desribe more in detail what kind of fusion we're talking bout, I can be more precise.

//Staffay

EDIT: Sorry Muris, I didn't saw that it was Your thread.... ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Staffy: Apr 9 2010, 09:23 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
theultrazone
Apr 10 2010, 02:00 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Apr 9 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Hmmmm, I don't really see what You mean with the term "Fusion" here, since there are a lot of sub-genres. Eg. there are rock-fusion, jazz-fusion, fusion between african music and jazz, latin-fusion etc. The term "fusion" is really a meltdown of different styles, and to play it a broad knowledge is recommended imo.
One of the most essential knowledges though, is to master the fretboard and the modes - most fusion is based on key changes played kinda modal. It is really a very free kind of music, but if You desribe more in detail what kind of fusion we're talking bout, I can be more precise.

//Staffay

Hi Staffy,
thanks for your reply.
I was playing the lesson where Muris teach the "Fussion Jam Advanced" and after i do everythink he showes, i was wondering: "what the hell do i play here??
It sounds amazing but i didn't understand it."

I don't know if it's Rock Fusion or jazz fusion a mixed up thing between african jazz and latin music...
I am not so far that i could catigorize this jam but it would help me a lot to understand what he is playing.

You wrote something about to master the fretboard an the modes.
that is what i do for a long time but it didn't help me when i didn't know when and how to use these things.

as i already write. I feel like a parrot putting the things together and let them sounds good but i didn't understand them sad.gif and that is not my satisfaction in playing guitar.. i just to copy and that makes me sad sad.gif

You write something about key changes too.
That sounds interesting.
Tell me more about it. or is there a lesson here in GMC where i could learn more about that?

Kind Regards
Alex

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 11 2010, 02:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Apr 9 2010, 10:08 PM) *

//Staffay

Not a problem, glad you jumped in! smile.gif

QUOTE (theultrazone @ Apr 9 2010, 06:09 PM) *
Hi Muris,

I do enjoy your Fusion stuff and it's really fun to play this kind of things..
But there is one think that made me crazy.

I didn't understand what you are playing.
I am feeling like a parrot just copying your licks.

But that is not my Target.
I want to Jam along by myself.. on my own licks.

To take for example your Backing Track and Jam with my own stuff..

But that didn't work like it does in the Pentatonic area.

I am really wondering what i need to do to made my own jammings.

Please can you help me understanding how this music works and what are the key points i have to learn or to train or to listen to get a selfmade jam?

Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex. smile.gif

This with Fusion cannot be explained in one post as it requires far more
analyzing, playing, composing etc.

But I can give you some tips regarding Fusion Jam Lesson tho.

It's in a key of Bm and yes, you can use Bm pentatonic as well.
The problem is whatsoever if you over use it, you might end up sounding more bluesy or heavy metal
since "fusion" sound that we are after is a bit more than just a pentatonic scale.
Next choice is B Dorian which I used a lot in the lesson.
I hope you do have some modal knowledge so I will miss to explain Dorian mode.
You can push your views a lot further by using neighbor tones,
that way you get more chromatic and more fusion flavor.
And if you succeed to use all possible neighbor notes you'll end up by using a full chromatic scale,
you'll have all 12 notes at your disposal, now it's just up to you how to use them.

And don't be afraid of using mine or anyone else's licks,
it's quite impossible to play your own licks without learning from others before that.
I have done that and I'm pretty sure everyone else have so go for it,
expand your lick library and you'll be there sooner as you think. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
theultrazone
Apr 19 2010, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 11 2010, 01:56 AM) *
Not a problem, glad you jumped in! smile.gif

Hi Alex. smile.gif

This with Fusion cannot be explained in one post as it requires far more
analyzing, playing, composing etc.

But I can give you some tips regarding Fusion Jam Lesson tho.

It's in a key of Bm and yes, you can use Bm pentatonic as well.
The problem is whatsoever if you over use it, you might end up sounding more bluesy or heavy metal
since "fusion" sound that we are after is a bit more than just a pentatonic scale.
Next choice is B Dorian which I used a lot in the lesson.
I hope you do have some modal knowledge so I will miss to explain Dorian mode.
You can push your views a lot further by using neighbor tones,
that way you get more chromatic and more fusion flavor.
And if you succeed to use all possible neighbor notes you'll end up by using a full chromatic scale,
you'll have all 12 notes at your disposal, now it's just up to you how to use them.

And don't be afraid of using mine or anyone else's licks,
it's quite impossible to play your own licks without learning from others before that.
I have done that and I'm pretty sure everyone else have so go for it,
expand your lick library and you'll be there sooner as you think. smile.gif

Hi Muris,
thanks for your reply,
I think i need to get more into this music to get the feeling and the understanding of it.

hope you will go on and post more of this stuff..
What impresses me is, that you could take for example songs like canon D or Sunny by bobby Hebb and change it into a fusion thing like you and greg howe did.

by the way.. if you got a idea for sunny let us know smile.gif

Yours
Alex

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 20 2010, 02:41 AM
Instructor
It comes with time, the more you play "fusion" the more you become comfortable
to make your own variations and adaptation of certain song towards "fusion" sound. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Apr 20 2010, 04:08 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Apr 20 2010, 02:41 AM) *
It comes with time, the more you play "fusion" the more you become comfortable
to make your own variations and adaptation of certain song towards "fusion" sound. smile.gif

Sorry to interrupt.....just wanted to say I'm glad you are still alive Muris.....\m/\m/
smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:32 PM