Collaboration Guidelines, For Leaders & Participants
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 16 2007, 09:47 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Collaborations - what are they? How do they work? This post will hopefully help with these questions!

What is a GMC Collaboration?

Collaborations are a fun way of sharing in creation of a unique piece of music. Its also a great way to get your feet wet in recording. Each collaboration is started by a leader (usually but not always an instructor). The leader posts the backing track, and each participant records some guitar work over the backing track and posts it back to the thread. When all participants are done, the leader will post a final mix of the collaboration and often post comments on the individual participants performances, what they did well and how they can improve.

Collaborations Explained for the Leader

If you want to be the leader of a collaboration, you need the following things:

1. Recording and mixing facilities
2. Ability to write record an original backing track

That's it!

So how does this work in practice?

1. The Leader creates a backing track in mp3 format, and decides the number of participants that can play on the track
2. The Leader creates a new thread on the collaborations board, posts the backing track, gives the backing track tempo and describes the sort of feel or vibe he is going for
3. Participants sign up on a first come first served basis - the leader says who is in or out and makes sure he has the right number of people. When enough people have signed up, the Leader will set a deadline for the recordings to be complete by.
4. It is often difficult to keep track of who has signed up, so I suggest you create one thread for signups only, and a second thread for discussions, maybe a 3rd thread for uploads only.
5. As each participant posts his solo, the Leader imports it into his DAW to play against the backing track
6. When all contributions are received, the Leader makes a final mix of the track and posts it to the thread, with detailed notes on the performance of each participant (for an example see here)
7. Finally, the comments and finished track are also posted to the "Completed GMC Collaborations" thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Collaborations Explained for the Participant

If you want to be a participant, you need the following things:

1. A method of recording to a backing track using a Multitrack recorder

That's it!

1. After you have signed up for a collaboration, take the backing track, import it into your DAW
2. Practice and practice until you can record your best effort and make GMC proud!
3. When you have a finished recording, you need to make 2 audio files - mp3 format please
- The first is a recording of your section of the solo played against the backing track - this for reference so the leader knows what it sounds like
- The second is just your guitar, no backing track. This is the actual recording the leader will use, he cannot use the one with the backing track already on it
4. When you have to 2 tracks, upload them to the collaboration thread in the forum, and wait for the final mix smile.gif

Tips & Tricks

The hardest problem to solve is synchronization of the imported backing tracks. If we stick to these guidelines, the import will be perfect every time!

1. Instructors, record your backing track at a fixed tempo, and publish it. Ensure that your backing track begins on an exact bar line.
2. Participants, set your DAW to the same tempo as the instructor publishes. When you import the nacking track ensurethat it starts at an exact bar line
3. Participants, when rendering or exporting your solo, make sure that the exported file begins on an exact bar line (there is usually a way to set the exported range using markers in most DAWs)
4. Instructors, when importing for the final mix, align the file to a bar line, use the solo with backing track as a reference to make sure you get the timing right.

Hopefully this explanation is clear - if not, ask questions and we will develop it over time!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: May 29 2008, 09:23 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
Apr 21 2008, 03:07 PM
GMC:er
when you say mixing facilities would reaper be sufficient?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 21 2008, 03:11 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Bluesrock @ Apr 21 2008, 03:07 PM) *
when you say mixing facilities would reaper be sufficient?

totally mate smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
Apr 21 2008, 08:48 PM
kewl thanks smells

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Apr 21 2008, 08:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Andrew,

I think it is important to say that when a GMC member says that is going to participate , he/she should upload something, the instructors make a big effort on this collab and I think is a disrespect with them when someone says that is going to participate and never upload their takes.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Apr 21 2008, 08:54 PM

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 8 2008, 11:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Apr 21 2008, 09:53 PM) *
Andrew,

I think it is important to say that when a GMC member says that is going to participate , he/she should upload something, the instructors make a big effort on this collab and I think is a disrespect with them when someone says that is going to participate and never upload their takes.

Thanks.

I agree with Coffee. This also counts for the collab leaders, a collab leader has to finish it's own collab in time. If he doesn't have enough time he shouldn't have started in the first place. For both participant and leader we have to keep in mind that sometimes things happen you can't forcast, that would count as a good reason for not uploading it think, right?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
May 8 2008, 01:53 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 8 2008, 12:56 PM) *
I agree with Coffee. This also counts for the collab leaders, a collab leader has to finish it's own collab in time. If he doesn't have enough time he shouldn't have started in the first place. For both participant and leader we have to keep in mind that sometimes things happen you can't forcast, that would count as a good reason for not uploading it think, right?

I agree.For example,my deadline was to 5th,but my asio drivers on new card just went dead,and I had so many problems to fix it.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Paddy Irvine
Mar 27 2009, 01:01 AM
jus a quick question> What is "DAW" ?

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 27 2009, 01:04 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Paddy Irvine @ Mar 27 2009, 12:01 AM) *

Digital Audio Workstation. eg, Cubase, Pro Tools etc

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 27 2009, 01:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paddy Irvine @ Mar 27 2009, 01:01 AM) *

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation !

Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Pro Tools etc

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:53 PM