How Much Counts Experience?
chast
Jan 29 2008, 12:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

I just was on my way home, and thought about that question, how much experience counts at guitarplaying and I didn't come up with a conclusion.
Just for example lets say, 2 guitar players, player 1 plays guitar for 10 years and listens to music intensely, now player 2 plays guitar for 5 years and listens to music intensely aswell and both players practiced the same amount of hours.

So, player 1 listened to music 5 years longer than player 2.

What do you think about it ? Is it important to listen to music ?

That's actually not what I really wanted to ask, but it's hard to explain in english and maybe some of you already know, that I can't get my thoughts written down very well wink.gif

Greets Max

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 29 2008, 01:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
At live performance - experience plays the great roll..Also listening to a lot of music is great and affects your playing.But than again if your just playing at home your friend won't be significantly better than you just because he played 5 years longer... (if you both practiced the same and studied same things which is impossible)...It all comes down to individual players and their talent and determination.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Jan 29 2008, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (chast @ Jan 29 2008, 06:08 AM) *
Hey,

I just was on my way home, and thought about that question, how much experience counts at guitarplaying and I didn't come up with a conclusion.
Just for example lets say, 2 guitar players, player 1 plays guitar for 10 years and listens to music intensely, now player 2 plays guitar for 5 years and listens to music intensely aswell and both players practiced the same amount of hours.

So, player 1 listened to music 5 years longer than player 2.

What do you think about it ? Is it important to listen to music ?

That's actually not what I really wanted to ask, but it's hard to explain in english and maybe some of you already know, that I can't get my thoughts written down very well wink.gif

Greets Max

This question has been asked many times to professional musicians through the years. There are actually 2 schools of thought about this.

The fist says That by listening to a lot of music you can pick up a lot of different influences and therefore enhance your playing.

The other one says that by listening to a lot of music keeps you from finding your own sound and style. Better to isolate yourself from other influences and concentrate on creating your art.

For me being a beginner, I find it is better to concentrate on a narrow spectrum of music at a time or I get lost in all the possibilities. I think that once one aspect is absorbed then you go with other techniques/influences and learn those as well.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 29 2008, 10:01 PM
Instructor
Listening to music is probably BIGGEST part of being more creative,
spreading views which means more experience as well.

My 2 cents. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 29 2008, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
I'll agree with H^i^m.

For me if I listen to a song and jam over it a new idea instantly pops out, that sort of sounds like the person I'm playing against but still with my own flavor.

And just listening to something will sway my playing for that day. I think listening to music is ALMOST more important than actually learning the technique on the guitar. Some pro guitarist say that their music comes secondary to others.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 29 2008, 10:48 PM
Instructor
In order to find your own style, you need to explore all possible styles first smile.gif

But speaking about experience, when you do something for longer period of time it becomes more natural to you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 30 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
The guitarist who plays 10 years is certainly the more experienced one. You can feel it while he plays. As for the music, it is a very relative subject. The musician who listens to music 10 years - again - logically - is more aware of the music than the one who is listening to music for 5 years. I think you made your answer while asking...

BTW, there are a lot of factors that are involved, like the more experienced one is more mature with music - certain music had the time to lay down in his mind for a while, and the other very relative factor is that humans are very different and all have different perceptions on a lot of things - not just music. All this affects our behaviour (and playing) as well. I better stop now...this is not going anywhere wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:01 PM