Shooting Multiple Scenes, Your experience requested!
SirJamsalot
Aug 8 2010, 05:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok,

I can shoot a single video take for a REC program - cool. Now for the bigger picture. Let's say that I want to shoot my main riffing on top of train, and my solo from the top of the Empire State Building in NY.

How does sincing audio with video work in situations where you have totally different locations - Do you record audio and video from both at the location your at, then record audio and video from both at the other destination, then splice the audio and video together from both locations at a good punch-in time, or do you "lip sinc" the final production in video?

I'd like to spice up my videos a bit - this is all new to me, and I don't want to look like I'm "lip sincing" my guitar takes. I'd like them to be really be me playing.

thoughts on the matter? I'm using Sony Vegas and a standard camera - my DAW is Cubase and I record the video the same time as the audio DI into my DAW, then replace the audio from my video using the exported version recorded in Cubase.

Thanks!
Christian A.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
zen
Aug 8 2010, 08:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
By the sounds of it, you're interested in making a music video. smile.gif
Do you really think all music videos are made by playing & recording everythin live? wink.gif
Even the best of the best and who's who record audio separately in a studio etc and then shoot video clips separately (if the recording isn't from a live gig)
At the end of the day, if it isn't for a competition, or GMC REC etc, then this is the standard that everyone uses to entertain their audiences.

But you can still record audio and video live at both locations, if you don't want multiple clips or fast changing frames as we see in music videos.. then it could work...

I've been recording everything live till now but would like to experiment the above idea when I plan to shoot outside or on top of a train smile.gif ... So i guess to sum it up, you can go either ways, depending on whatever feels comfortable and convenient.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 8 2010, 10:01 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
We'll you can always record one angle and video live and then "guitar sync" the extended angles. I guess you need to use the actual recording and play over it in order to achieve the perfect sync in the end video. If you do that, generally you will actually be playing the piece once again (just not recording that audio). Then you can mix angles and have a good sync in all of them.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 8 2010, 03:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
In terms of synching - make sure if you are playing live or lip synching or miming you always have the same backing track playing and audible on the camera mic. Then it is simple to synch the separate videos together, and mute the camera audio and replace it with the production version itself.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Aug 8 2010, 03:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
All good stuff. Thanks for the insights guys!
I think I get it - makes sense.

Christian A.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 9 2010, 09:26 PM
Instructor
just record the whole song on both locations, and choose each part accordingly,

record both video and audio on both locations,

only the backing track will be the same on both,

then on sony vegas just open two video tracks, and two audio tracks, sync them with the backing track (which is the same) and choose the parts that you want to leave on your final video...

since you want to record a different part of the song on each location, there won't be a problem

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2010, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Record both locations, and record entire song on both of them using ear or any other monitoring (that is not viewable in the shot). Then sync that with the actual song.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Aug 12 2010, 12:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Awesomeness. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm learning soooo much just from your descriptions on the subject. If I make an MTVless video, I'll be sure to post it for your critique. I may need some leather studded volunteer actors for my video shoot tho, cuz I look terrible wearin it! haha.

Christian A.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:01 PM