Practicing!
adam b
Jan 29 2008, 01:23 AM
GMC:er
Ok so I have been playing for about 2 years.I just started using a metronome like two weeks ago. I also just started learning alternate picking (I'd been using economy). I am in the military and on my free time I like to play guitar but I noticed some bad habits I picked up. I hardly ever work on rythtem guitar and it shows. I have almost no rythem when it comes to chords. I work mostly just running up and down scales, and just playing around on the lower frets not even staying in key. I think when I make up stuff from scales it all sounds too similar and it gets old. I am stuck here and need some advice on how to get away from just scales!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Feb 11 2008, 05:34 AM
I think you have to know the scales before you can get away from them.
Famous quote : Satriani - "Learn the rules, the break them"
It's GOOD to practice scales, then you know where to go for that sound your looking for, plus they're great for technique.
As for your chord rhythm...what I do, is I stole a paradiddle drum book (drum exercises) and I replace RIGHT HAND with UPSTROKE and LEFT HAND with DOWNSTROKE and I play with rhythms...
Check those out smile.gif

(if your bored of scales, mix 'em up)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 11 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
I was starting by running up and down the scales just like you. Later i started creating exercises and found out that just one major scale can bring you hundreds of hours of fun smile.gif Keep doing what you are doing and you'll eventually see a huge improvement smile.gif Also learn some solos from other guitarists and you'll see that what you are learning is actually same thing they are playing but you'll learn something about phrases and sequences by learning solos smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
adam b
Feb 13 2008, 05:43 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 11 2008, 07:00 AM) *
I was starting by running up and down the scales just like you. Later i started creating exercises and found out that just one major scale can bring you hundreds of hours of fun smile.gif Keep doing what you are doing and you'll eventually see a huge improvement smile.gif Also learn some solos from other guitarists and you'll see that what you are learning is actually same thing they are playing but you'll learn something about phrases and sequences by learning solos smile.gif

Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:37 AM