2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tattoos - Getting One Or Not?
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2012, 12:57 PM
Instructor
I started this thread, due to accidentally running into the Shredneck.com site where, guess what? Aside from the shrednecks biggrin.gif they have these FAKE TATTOO SLEEVES biggrin.gif

They look cool don't they?

This made me think about why we would get a tattoo or not?

Over the centuries, people have used these because of religious reasons, social reasons or sheer fashion - look at the maori for instance, their ancient warriors were tattoed head to toes. The yakuza members, which have that undercoating of tattoos and so on.

Now I am facing a bit of a dilemma here smile.gif I would like not one but many tattoos, BUT, what if at some point I don't want them anymore? Then what?

I know that there are many of you guys here having tattoos - Ben comes to mind first and Christian (gitarrero) - guys what drove you to get them and how significant are they to you?

I am very interested to hear as many stories as possible smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 21 2012, 01:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
That's a great question and an imprtant topic when you think about getting a tattoo.

As you guys know I have two tats on my arms. My Ibanez guitar on my right arm and a grizzly bear on my left arm/shoulder.
I was thinking of getting a tattoo since I was 20 years old, but didn't have a clue what I would get.
When my father passed aways in 2003 and gave me the Ibanez guitar as my last birthday present I started to think about getting a guitar tattoo. At that time I thought I didn't have a really close relationship to my father, since we didn't talk that much (unluckily, I must say today). But after a couple of years, when I started to play guitar more and record my own stuff (after discovering GMC) I realized how much I resembled my father and how much he has given me by teaching me to play guitar and giving me various guitars as presents over the years.
My ex-girlfriend always opposed the tattoo idea so after the break-up it was one of the first things I tackled, just to get out of the misery I was in at the time. I didn't get the guitar tattoo right away but talked to the artist, had it drawn and then had to wait for 3 months to get it done. So for me, this first tattoo shows the connection to my father and reminds me that I can get through hard times (like the break-up) and grow stronger afterwards.
I am actually thinkign about getting flames tattooed around the guitar to show my passion for music and the instrument.
As for the grizzly, this was my first tattoo idea when I was twenty for various reasons. The grizzly bear stands for strength, and for me it is also a reminder of how I overcame a hard time (break-up, unsatisfying job) and it made me realize thaat I can accomplish my goals when I just stay strong and dare to go new ways. I have always been very interested in bears when I was a kid and would read and watch any documentary that was bear-related (another thing that I have in common with my dad, but my mom as well).
I can say for sure that these two tattoos will be something that I can always relate to, and I will always like them cause they remind me of my parents and of my own strength to change my life for the better.
As you can see, I thought for a long time about these tattoos which I strongly recommend, cause you will have them forever.
I can't say whether or not I am going to get more tattoos in the future (except maybe flames around the guitar), but it's possible wink.gif

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Apr 21 2012, 01:31 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 21 2012, 01:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a kind of japanese style sleeve on my right arm. It covers the entire arm. the main subjects are a Koi fish, a hanya mask and a skull which are linked with cherry blossoms and various japanese type plants.
I know the meanings behind the traditional usage of these elements in tattoing but tbh I just got them purely because I think they are badass biggrin.gif
I think full sleevse look awesome and I always wanted one. I had an overall type of plan for my sleeve which I talked over with the artist but I also was happy to rely on her more artistic talents with the design.

so no real deep meanings around my sleeve..... Im just a little more rock n roll with the tattoo than I was without it cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 21 2012, 02:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Okay, here's my two cents...

I don't recommend getting tattoos because they are potentially harmful to your health. Think about it. You are injecting ink into your body! Chemicals! I encourage you to read this article.

Many of these people who get tattoos wish they hadn't got them years later, another article here.

Even if you enjoy your tattoos all your life, they are not going to look like they once did. Your skin is going to stretch and move. They will soon become more like blobs. I have seen this myself on a lot of older men. You can't even tell what it was.

I'm not saying tattooing is wrong, it just has risks and could alter your chances for a job.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Apr 21 2012, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 21 2012, 02:26 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Brandon, you sure have a point here.
So let me add another thing: Look closely who is going to give you your tattoo, gather all information you can get about the artist and the studio and what ink they are using. This minimizes the risk for sure.
I went to one of the two best studios in my hometown Münster, they've got a very good reputation not only in Münster but Germany. I even talked to a dermathologist beforehand, obviously he wasn't crazy about the idea but he knew these two studios and said I was in good hands there as he knew which ink they use and said it was the best there is, though there are always risks.
About the skin, it sure is gonna stretch or unstretch at some point in time, so I'd say choose the body part wisely. I have friends who are 60 and older and are still happy with their tattoos. As for myself, I don't see that much risk since I got my arms tattooed. They'll stay in the same shape as they are now for many years, given a certain amount of training (not too much though tongue.gif )
About the job: Again, it's a question of the body part. I always wear long-sleeved shirts (mostly with a tie) at work, and this won't change due to my career choice. At my cuurent job, nobody knows I'm tattooed. Even if, being tattooed doesn't make my performance better or worse. But since I have lots of customer contact, I make sure they're not visible.
A friend og mine who is heavily tattooed always says, if you can't be tattooed on your job, the job is not the right one for you cause you have to alter your personality for it. She might be a bit extreme, but she has a point. I don't think wearing long-sleeved shirts is altering my personality, by the way wink.gif
But once again, think hard before getting a tattoo, I think we can agree on that smile.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 21 2012, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think tattoos are cool-looking and if done right, can help you feel better, show your personality, remind you of someone or something special in your life.

I don't think I would get one myself though... I'm too terrified at the thought that it will be there forever and I wouldn't be able to take it off easily if I get bored of it, or if it stretches all over me as I grow older biggrin.gif That's why I'll stick with clothes, accessories and facial hair biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Apr 21 2012, 04:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 21 2012, 04:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I come from a military family, so tattoos are very commonplace. My grandfather and my father both have a cornucopia of tattoos. I myself have thought about it extensively.

Here in California, getting tattoos doesn't really impact whether or not you will get hired somewhere(unless you are trying to work at an amusement park). I have friends who are teachers and they have tattoos everywhere. The board of Educators is okay with it so long as the tattoos cannot be deemed offensive. So, I cannot really think how it can impact your search for a job(at least in more liberal areas).

They do stretch out over time(If you gain or lose weight), but there are plenty of ways to combat this. Lotion and SPF 30 are always needed. The sun does more damage to a tattoo than anything else, so keep it covered with some Sunblock!

As for the chemical damage, I would be more worried about unsanitary parlours and needles. If you don't want the tattoo anymore you can always get it covered up, or undergo a relatively simple laser surgery.

Last, but not least, Do your homework on the tattoo parlour and tattoo artist! There are a lot of terrible places that are entirely unsanitary! My best friend is a pretty good tattoo artist, and I always go to conventions with her, so I know all of the best artists in the area. I cannot stress this point any more, as it is important!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 21 2012, 05:17 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2012, 01:57 PM) *
I started this thread, due to accidentally running into the Shredneck.com site where, guess what? Aside from the shrednecks biggrin.gif they have these FAKE TATTOO SLEEVES biggrin.gif

They look cool don't they?

This made me think about why we would get a tattoo or not?

Over the centuries, people have used these because of religious reasons, social reasons or sheer fashion - look at the maori for instance, their ancient warriors were tattoed head to toes. The yakuza members, which have that undercoating of tattoos and so on.

Now I am facing a bit of a dilemma here smile.gif I would like not one but many tattoos, BUT, what if at some point I don't want them anymore? Then what?

I know that there are many of you guys here having tattoos - Ben comes to mind first and Christian (gitarrero) - guys what drove you to get them and how significant are they to you?

I am very interested to hear as many stories as possible smile.gif

Cosmin

If you are in doubt, I guess the answer is NO!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 21 2012, 05:33 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 21 2012, 04:17 PM) *
If you are in doubt, I guess the answer is NO!

I think I go with Fran's opinion, I would only do that if I am 100% sure of it.
on the other hand. Christian's thoughts behind the tattoo are really wellthought
with reasons and I respect all of the opinions in this topic. I think no one else but you
has to make to choice.

(btw I love japanese tattoo's sleeves smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 21 2012, 06:04 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Totally agree with Fran (and Marc), if you have the slightest doubt, don't do it. Or give it more time to figure out how deep your wish really is. My wish grew stronger over many years, and I've spoken to some tattooed people before and after getting the tattoos, including some heavily tattooed guys on the convention where I got my second one done.
They all agreed on this and said: think about it deeply, even if it takes several years. And don't get them while you're very young since your opinion is likely gonna change when you're 20. Not so much when you're 30 though laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Apr 21 2012, 06:04 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Apr 21 2012, 08:51 PM
I have the same dilema. What if tomorrow i regret about it? Besides, nowadays everyone has a tattoo, i think that in the next ten years the "bad ass fashion man" will be the one that has his skin clear ohmy.gif

Once i put a piercing in my eyebrow and 3 hours later i wanted to add another, it´s like something you can´t stop. it will happen the same with the tattoos to me i guess

the tattoo sleeves are to pretend something that you aren´t. don´t like them.

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 22 2012, 10:45 AM
Instructor
Interesting thread Cosmin and my first piece of advice would be if you are considering a tattoo, never base a decision on asking other people ! wink.gif Although it's always good to ask to maybe uncover a piece of advice you hadn't maybe considered already but in terms of whether you should or shouldn't get one it's never down to anybody else.

There are generally two approaches to it - people getting tattoos that have a significant meaning to them or people getting tattoos that look great as pieces of art. There's nothing wrong with either approach and I think sometimes people can read too much into something so don't worry if you want to get something that just looks great ! ( Some people even attach a meaning to it afterwards because they feel they have to justify it but if it looks good, it is good )

Regards unsightly looking tattoos on older people we have to consider that a lot of these tattoos were done back when tattooing wasn't the fine and professional art it is these days. A lot of those guys were sailors or military and they would have picked them up in any port or city they were serving in at the time from the nearest back street tatt merchant. The ink wasn't as good, the artists not necessarily as good, the guys having them done were probably drunk and most probably the tattooist as well. It was a different era completely and the technology and approach has differed radically since then.

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 21 2012, 01:58 PM) *
I have a kind of japanese style sleeve on my right arm. It covers the entire arm. the main subjects are a Koi fish, a hanya mask and a skull which are linked with cherry blossoms and various japanese type plants.
I know the meanings behind the traditional usage of these elements in tattoing but tbh I just got them purely because I think they are badass biggrin.gif
I think full sleevse look awesome and I always wanted one. I had an overall type of plan for my sleeve which I talked over with the artist but I also was happy to rely on her more artistic talents with the design.

so no real deep meanings around my sleeve..... Im just a little more rock n roll with the tattoo than I was without it cool.gif

I would love to see that, I love Japanese work. And it is badass, there's nothing wrong with that ! wink.gif People have the right to feel good about themselves and however they want to craft their image is up to them. I spent most of my pre adult years being shy with no self esteem so I certainly won't feel bad about becoming the person I want to be.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Apr 22 2012, 10:41 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the input guys! smile.gif Ben - your view on things is definitely very healthy and the fact that technology comes to our aid these days and the tattoos are done in sophisticated ways, is clearly a reason not to be frightened so much by what will happen when we grow old.

I will most likely give things a big thought and surprise you when you least expect it smile.gif tongue.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 22 2012, 04:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 22 2012, 10:45 AM) *
I would love to see that, I love Japanese work. And it is badass, there's nothing wrong with that ! wink.gif People have the right to feel good about themselves and however they want to craft their image is up to them. I spent most of my pre adult years being shy with no self esteem so I certainly won't feel bad about becoming the person I want to be.

No probs biggrin.gif
This is ( obviously ) the outside kinda view with the koi, skull etc
[attachment=27209:outside1.jpg]

and this is the hanya on the inside of my bicep
[attachment=27210:inside1.jpg]

Its actually quite difficult to get pictures of the whole thing I have a purple/orange lotus flower with some water behind it on my inside wrist ( didnt really show in the pic ) and there is this really cool angle when it looks like the hanya mask and the skull are looking at each other! Its too difficult to catch in a pic but I thought that one day I'll come up a really deep meaning behind the hanya / skull stare-down!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Apr 22 2012, 05:18 PM
Wow man!! VERY NICE!!!

BEN your imput is great, I also thinK that someday the will discover the way to remove tattoos without leaving a mark on the skin

damn you are convincing me , my problem is that I am a hairy pale guy sad.gif

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Nahuel! Time to pump some iron man! And spend more time into the sun - then, get a baddass tattoo and rock out!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Apr 22 2012, 05:31 PM
and I should add some time at the gym too and then I will be the sexiest man in south America (after of course Mr. Leopardi with his green eyes biggrin.gif )

I like the tattoo of a friend of mine, he has a big crow on his chest and arm,
Attached Image

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 05:41 PM
Instructor
And he reminds me of Dave Navarro biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 22 2012, 05:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
By the time you're old enough for your tattoos to fade and stretch, you'll no longer be physically attractive to the opposite sex anyways. At that age, you'll be more concerned with man boobs and a saggy butt. A faded tattoo will be the least of your aesthetic concerns wink.gif Hopefully by that age you will have developed a stunning personality and a charming wit to compensate for your long lost good looks.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 05:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 22 2012, 04:45 PM) *
By the time you're old enough for your tattoos to fade and stretch, you'll no longer be physically attractive to the opposite sex anyways. At that age, you'll be more concerned with man boobs and a saggy butt. A faded tattoo will be the least of your aesthetic concerns wink.gif Hopefully by that age you will have developed a stunning personality and a charming wit to compensate for your long lost good looks.

What can I say....+1 laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:21 AM