Being The New Person...
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Hey guys and gals ! I was just thinking about situations where you are new to something, like a job or a new class or hobby of some sort. The last situation where I was a newbie going into an unknown environment was when I started Karate in January. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure what was expected of me.

When was the last time that you were a new guy or girl somewhere ? Maybe it could even be at GMC ? Maybe a new job ? How do you deal with it ? smile.gif smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 29 2011, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Somehow I think that all the time life keeps pushing me in those type of situations biggrin.gif Decisions, decisions.. smile.gif Maybe because I'm lybra, maybe because I have a bad memory who knows smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 29 2011, 02:17 PM
Instructor
I think it's always good to keep in mind the good experiences that we've had in the past that came from facing new situations. People are good in the end, it's just a matter of spending time and being present, not somewhere else in our prejudicial minds...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Great replies, guys.. I also think it's very important and rewarding to push ourselves outside of our comfort zones by approaching new situations or trying new things.

Has anyone got any recent examples from personal experience ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 29 2011, 03:39 PM
Learning Roadie
When I get a new job one of these days, it will be my new environment, but for now it has been GMC that was most recent 'newbie experience.'

Get ready for those metaphors... dry.gif tongue.gif

When I actually joined GMC I felt like a small kid walking through a maze of guitar lessons, instructors, people, and musical notes. I was overwhelmed of the information that was buzzing through my brain. I had never seen a site so jam-packed with knowledge. I was like a baby seeing the world for the first time...almost. wink.gif Everybody called me "fireball," which was a cool name, and I liked it a lot. Even Ramiro said, "Hey! Fireball! Welcome to the video chat!" smile.gif smile.gif As months went by I was a kid with only one instructor in mind. I had joined GMC to learn from Trond Vold. At this time I was obsessively into Canon Rock. I hardly played anything else. I was going to learn from Trond. As the Satch, Vai, Slash, and Petrucci are heroes of some, Vold was hero to me. But I soon began to realize that there were other instructors to learn from as well. biggrin.gif That is how I learn and cope. I connect with one person, find a common ground, and then move on, add stuff, and tweak things.

What continually amazed me was that everybody was scattered across the globe, and we all logged in and discussed music with each other through the forum. When I had a guitar problem, I got a quick response. That kid is still amazed at this site. He is still enjoying the many lessons, tools, instructors, and students scattered across this "6 x 1024 kg piece of dirt." wink.gif

GMC ROCKS!!
Brandon (fireball) cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 03:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 29 2011, 03:39 PM) *
When I get a new job one of these days, it will be my new environment, but for now it has been GMC that was most recent 'newbie experience.'

Get ready for those metaphors... dry.gif tongue.gif

When I actually joined GMC I felt like a small kid walking through a maze of guitar lessons, instructors, people, and musical notes. I was overwhelmed of the information that was buzzing through my brain. I had never seen a site so jam-packed with knowledge. I was like a baby seeing the world for the first time...almost. wink.gif Everybody called me "fireball," which was a cool name, and I liked it a lot. Even Ramiro said, "Hey! Fireball! Welcome to the video chat!" smile.gif smile.gif As months went by I was a kid with only one instructor in mind. I had joined GMC to learn from Trond Vold. At this time I was obsessively into Canon Rock. I hardly played anything else. I was going to learn from Trond. As the Satch, Vai, Slash, and Petrucci are heroes of some, Vold was hero to me. But I soon began to realize that there were other instructors to learn from as well. biggrin.gif That is how I learn and cope. I connect with one person, find a common ground, and then move on, add stuff, and tweak things.

What continually amazed me was that everybody was scattered across the globe, and we all logged in and discussed music with each other through the forum. When I had a guitar problem, I got a quick response. That kid is still amazed at this site. He is still enjoying the many lessons, tools, instructors, and students scattered across this "6 x 1024 kg piece of dirt." wink.gif

GMC ROCKS!!
Brandon (fireball) cool.gif

Great story Fireball, thanks for sharing.. and there's nothing wrong with metaphors smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jul 29 2011, 03:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I started a job as a physiotherapist 3 weeks ago. It is only a summer job.
I have to go back to school in a month and write my last big paper before I am really licensed to practise physiotherapy.

So off course I'm a newbie there. But it's ok.
They are all kind of young, and I know the place, because I was there as a part of my education.
This time I just get payed there. smile.gif

And I'm a newbie at singing for 2 GMC virtual bands wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Jul 29 2011, 03:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 29 2011, 03:49 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 29 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Great story Fireball, thanks for sharing.. and there's nothing wrong with metaphors smile.gif

Thank you for the confidence. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 29 2011, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 29 2011, 03:49 PM) *
Thank you for the confidence. biggrin.gif

No worries, yes metaphors and analogies are our friends biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jul 29 2011, 03:47 PM) *
And I'm a newbie at singing for 2 GMC virtual bands wink.gif

Cool, how is that going ? Are you new to singing itself or just for the virtual bands ? cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jul 29 2011, 04:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 29 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Cool, how is that going ? Are you new to singing itself or just for the virtual bands ? cool.gif

New to singing which is heard by others than family and close friends.
I think It is ok, project Quadrium invited me to do a guest performance, and now I just wait for the final mix smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 29 2011, 04:18 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 29 2011, 02:30 PM) *

yes!! with you and the other guys in the band the other week laugh.gif

I was incredibly nervous!! but a lot depends on how "the other people" react to you, in this particular case everyone was incredibly cool and welcoming, nerves quickly disappeared, it seemed like I`d known people a lot longer than an hour or so smile.gif

In all "new" situations I generally tend to be a lot quieter than normal at first and observe people to determine their characters which in turn dictates to how I react.

Nerves can sometimes make you behave or say something totally out of character which is another reason for me being quieter until I feel comfortable, then its the real me smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 30 2011, 11:26 PM
Instructor
Hmmm - my technique: shuttup and listen and then once you've learned what goes on around, mingle and talk smile.gif it never failed wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2011, 01:18 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 29 2011, 09:30 AM) *
Great replies, guys.. I also think it's very important and rewarding to push ourselves outside of our comfort zones by approaching new situations or trying new things.

So true. I remember when I was going to my first audition in my old band Gnostic. I knew the bass player and singer as they had come from another previous band I was in (Caustic Thought) I didn't know the guys who were probably going to have the most say in the decision. The guy who started the band (Sonny) and the first other member (Steve Flynn from ATHEIST). So instead of stressing about it, I just embraced the moment and picked up what I could just from watching them play and jumped right in. I added a few solos here and there and noodled a bit when they asked about my "Style" of play as I figured it was best just to show them rather than talk about "My Influences".

After it was over I had no idea how it had gone, as I'd started most of the bands I'd been in and not auditioned, but I"d had a great time jamming with them. Which really is the point after all. To try to enjoy things as they come up. I found out later they had been very impressed and decided to ask me to join just after I left. So looking back I"m glad I just relaxed and played whatever seemed natural and managed to have a good time doing it. Thats probably the big lesson. We play music because we love music. It's often easy to let other things get in the way of that. Don't let it. Embrace the moment for what it is and roll with it as it unfolds.

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 31 2011, 01:19 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 31 2011, 10:34 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Well, you might have seen my own thread about my new job, so I'll be the new guy there in a month. I'm looking forward to it, as there are lots of chlichées going around about the mentality of the people in westphalia (the region I come from) and the people in Baden-Wuerttemberg (the region I am moving to), so it'll be interesting to see if we can get along at all laugh.gif but joking aside, I'll approach my new colleagues with an opne mind and will just be myself...if I don't get along with them, I still have the GMC family wink.gif

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 31 2011, 12:09 PM
Instructor
Great replies guys... Cosmin and Chris, that's definitely the way I play new situations smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:14 PM