2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Zen Guitar : Anybody Else Read It ?
K1R
Jan 13 2011, 09:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Noticed this topic in the morning, checked every bookshop in Riga, that was hard to find this book in Russian... But I did! Now I'm going to start the reading. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by K1R: Jan 13 2011, 09:30 PM

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Jan 13 2011, 09:56 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Years ago I used to work in an ezoteric book/other stuff store, and I had the opportunity to look at it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 14 2011, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Thank you for the recommendation Ben. Will look into it.

To me a life-changing book was "A new earth" by Eckhart Tolle which is totally related to zen and the purpose of music and art.

Totally recommend it to anyone

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 15 2011, 09:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 14 2011, 06:52 PM) *
Thank you for the recommendation Ben. Will look into it.

To me a life-changing book was "A new earth" by Eckhart Tolle which is totally related to zen and the purpose of music and art.

Totally recommend it to anyone

Deffo look for it Daniel ! That Tolle book sounds interesting, I've never heard of him before.. I'll explore it, thank you !! smile.gif

QUOTE (K1R @ Jan 13 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Noticed this topic in the morning, checked every bookshop in Riga, that was hard to find this book in Russian... But I did! Now I'm going to start the reading. biggrin.gif

You found it in Russian ?? That's excellent !!! Man, I'm pleased !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 16 2011, 05:40 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'll definitely check this book out, thanks for recommending it. I've seen it along time ago in a book store, but at the time I was new to guitar, and the book didn't appeal to me, I was more interested in playing Metallica tunes biggrin.gif But now it seems like this book answers questions that can only arise after playing for a certain amount of time.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Jan 16 2011, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
Can I also reccomand the sequel of Zen Guitar, The Book of Six String? Philip Toshio Sudo passed away before finishing it and Tobia Hurwitz put together his notes and played all the musical example. Unlike the first one, The book of six strings has musical example plus the "One Sound One Song" the tune zen inspired composed by the late Sudo.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 16 2011, 10:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jan 16 2011, 04:40 AM) *
I'll definitely check this book out, thanks for recommending it. I've seen it along time ago in a book store, but at the time I was new to guitar, and the book didn't appeal to me, I was more interested in playing Metallica tunes biggrin.gif But now it seems like this book answers questions that can only arise after playing for a certain amount of time.

Yes you gotta check it out.. the great thing about the book is that although it's called Zen Guitar, you really don't have to be a guitarist to read it either, it can apply to all aspects of life. Also, as you say, sometimes things have to wait until the right time before they can be absorbed. It's definitely worth it. There is masses of information for guitarists relating to exercises and technique, but this book goes beyond and deals with the questions that we all face in our musical world. smile.gif

QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Jan 16 2011, 08:41 PM) *
Can I also reccomand the sequel of Zen Guitar, The Book of Six String? Philip Toshio Sudo passed away before finishing it and Tobia Hurwitz put together his notes and played all the musical example. Unlike the first one, The book of six strings has musical example plus the "One Sound One Song" the tune zen inspired composed by the late Sudo.

Carmine

You can smile.gif

I will most definitely check this out. Unfortunately, Sudo did pass away as you said.. but it's amazing to think that his words can inspire countless people again. Another book I have of his is called Zen 24/7 which is a great little book that provides unique and inspiring ways of looking at all the situations we encounter during a regular day, from breakfast to the cash point ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:12 PM