I Need Help Choosing The Right Pickups For My Strat!, I bought an american deluxe, but the sound is not what I'm really
Ricardo Salas
Aug 25 2008, 12:31 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys! Ricardo Salas here:

Hey I recently bought an american deluxe stratocaster at guitar center in Denver Co. the guitar is amazing and I am really pleased with it. I tested it and played for about an hour and I loved the way it felt. I had previously bought a set of stratocaster pickups ( the noiseless set http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/femodshsacon.html) and I was thinking about putting them on my new guitar but I realized that my strat had those exact same pickups! I bought the fat strat, the one that has 2 single coils and one humbucker. Unfortunately, the pickups didn't sound like I wanted. For the humbucker I want something that will give me really good harmonics, I'd like to dive bomb and do stuff like that. As for the middle and neck pickups I would like to have a clean sound but with a bit of warmth, because the actual problem with the noiseless ones was that they sounded very plain, I mean the sound didn't have any warmth at all, they actually do their job pretty well, they keep the buzz noise to the minimum, but they don't have a lot of personality. About a week ago I played a 1975 telecaster, and It sounded amazing, we tried it on a vintage fender amp, and I loved the sound it had, it was... I would describe it as "shiny" and pure, it sounded really warm without distortion. My friend suggested I changed the pickups for these ones http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/fecushcu69st.html he also recommended any pickup made of alnico, I've been checking them at dimarzio and seymour duncan, but I am new to these pickups so I fear I'll choose the wrong ones.
Basically what I want is a very versatile guitar, good humbucker for harmonics and hard rock solos and a pair of single coils that will give me a very clean sound when not distorted and a nice vintage sound when in overdrive, I guess something like Eric Clapton's sound in layla. (does anyone know what his pickups are?)
I'd appreciate all your recommendations.

[email protected]
Richard Salas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Aug 25 2008, 11:12 AM
There are so many choises for Strat pickups.

I think Kinman pickups are the best you can get. Noisless but still got that authentic Strat sound. But those are boutique pickups and are very expensive, I think these pups are the only Noiseless pickups people are happy with, at least those who are looking for vintage type tone. I got Fender 57/62´s in my American Strat, I like those, but not good for distortion. I will go for Kinmans one of these days.

http://www.kinman.com/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor
I think that vintage set is what you are probably after mate. They will sound great, no doubts about that. '69 has more rounded and punchier (klingk-klingk) sound than previous vintage sounds. I have '57s on my strat and they are as vintage as it gets, straight original strat tone, (think Shadows).
Generally vintage pups produce a lush sound that is scattered all over the spectrum with rich harmonics, and as you advance to more modern pups they are generally pumped with mids. So if it is warm rich sound that you're after and still require a great bite, than yes vintage '69 is a way to go.

Eric Clapton used to use Lace Sensors a lot, I think it would be best to try them out, they are very interesting pickups. They are hotter than vintage kits, and have more mids. They also produce more sustain.

If you're going for versatility, I would suggest this combo:

neck - vintage 69
middle - lace sensor gold
bridge - seymor duncan JB

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ricardo Salas
Aug 27 2008, 03:31 AM
Thank you Ivan!
This was what I needed to hear, and since I already have those mod shop pickups, I guess I could probably change them for the 69ers.
Thanks again: Richard

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 27 2008, 10:20 AM
Instructor
No problem man, here to help smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 27 2008, 01:24 PM
A word of caution, I at one point believed it was my pick ups where the tone was lacking. Turned out it was my amp... Make sure you try that axe on a lot of amps before you hack it up!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:25 PM