I Got A Guitar Choice To Make, Help please!
Avenite
Jul 11 2007, 03:02 AM
GMC:er
I bought a Dean From Hell (discounted to $722), but at the same store there is an Ibanez JEM (which I see is very popular on GMC) used for $1400 (!) and I am considering returning the DFH for that guitar (it is twice as much though). I like both guitars and each has their downside (the main problem on the DFH is the whammy bar does not go up very far, and I might like the JEM neck better).

I like metal and shred and the like.

So, any thoughts, opinions or advice?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kethcup
Jul 11 2007, 03:12 AM
How long have you been playing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 11 2007, 03:14 AM
A few years.

Why do you ask?

I just graduated high school and received money that I want to spend on a guitar.

This post has been edited by Avenite: Jul 11 2007, 03:15 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 03:52 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 10 2007, 10:14 PM) *
A few years.

Why do you ask?

I just graduated high school and received money that I want to spend on a guitar.

Don't ask me or Pavel, we're biased ... but the Jem is a sweet, sweet guitar. Did you play it? That's the only real way to know if it is the guitar for you - you owe it to yourself to give it a try at least smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 11 2007, 04:04 AM
I did play it and liked it (the sound may not have been EXACTLY to my liking, but I may be able to get used to it) but one thing is I find it very difficult to get an accurate impression in only a little while, or just one try.

But I do plan on going back on sunday to try it again.

P.S. I read the thread on you getting your new JEM Andrew, congrats! (try naming it after her to make up for it!)

This post has been edited by Avenite: Jul 11 2007, 04:07 AM

+Quote Post
acousticwanabee
Jul 11 2007, 06:27 AM
i dont think you should have to get used to the sound of a guitar thats 1400 dollars

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 11 2007, 07:07 AM
Well, when I play my guitar, I am used to a certain tone, with a roughness to it. The JEM is also high output, but a little smoother, and my current guitar (and the DFH) don't sound like that. That is what I meant

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 02:01 PM
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 10 2007, 11:04 PM) *
P.S. I read the thread on you getting your new JEM Andrew, congrats! (try naming it after her to make up for it!)

LOL - I've had it a week and a half now, my wife is over it now, I bought her a Handbag ...

Seriously, quality-wise, the Jem is as close to perfect as it gets and it is very versatile in sound, the Whammy is amazing. Best guitar I have ever played period.

You are doing the right thing in trying it and being critical of the sound - if it just isn't happening for you don't feel you should get it just because its reputation precedes it - play it enought that it either clicks, or you decide it isn't for you.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 11 2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks, that sounds like sound advice.

On the Jem, how far (how many tones) can you pull a note UP?

This post has been edited by Avenite: Jul 11 2007, 04:49 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (Avenite @ Jul 11 2007, 11:48 AM) *
Thanks, that sounds like sound advice.

On the Jem, how far (how many tones) can you pull a note UP?

Haven't really tried ... but I have 10s on it and can easily get 3 semi tones. That's more a function of the strings than the guitar though I would say.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 11 2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Sound doesn't depend on the guitar but the amplifier and pedals you have! You can have a killer brutal metal sound on JEM! I've seen it in "Dominici" band, they were an opening group for DT, and their guitar player has JEM and his sound is just killer - totally brutal metal! That's because he had an awesome amp behind himself!!

Pick-ups on JEM are awesome so the only thing you have to worry about is your amp! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 11 2007, 10:26 PM
haha
i agree, shouldnt get used to something nice at that price tongue.gif unless ur buyin it =]

This post has been edited by kevin-riff-after-riff: Jul 11 2007, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 12 2007, 01:14 AM
Well, I have a Line 6 Spider II 1x12 75W which has some pretty killer distortion, but its not a tube stack.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 12 2007, 01:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would say keep your Dime Guitar, they are awesome Metal Guitars, and get yourself a used Halfstack with the rest of the Money. Amps are far more important for your sound, like Pavel said.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Evan
Jul 12 2007, 01:54 AM
Well, no question that the Jems are among the best of the best for shredding. No doubt people have gotten insanely brutal tones out of those guitars also. My opinion is that the Jems and USA Jacksons are the pinnacle when it comes to metal shredding. The main difference between the two brands is that the neck of the neck-through body Jackson Soloist is slightly larger than the Jems. The Jackson Dinky(bolt on version of Soloist) and Warrior models have thinner necks like Ibanez. On Jackson necks, the frets have a compound radius and are rounder at the nut, flatter at the bridge to keep you from fretting out on very large bends and to make bending in general easier -but the difference is very subtle in reality. The bolt-on Ibanez neck joint is superior compared to Jackson's bolt-on neck joint design.

I'll just repeat what's already been said, but the main deciding factor is how it feels in your hand. The neck (shape, size, radius), fretwork and action are the most important keys to the right choice.

I'll also add that for around 1400 U.S. dollars you can get a brand new USA made Jackson in a solid color, but the used Ibanez at that price probably has more features.

+Quote Post
Avenite
Jul 12 2007, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Evan @ Jul 11 2007, 05:54 PM) *
I'll just repeat what's already been said, but the main deciding factor is how it feels in your hand.

Thats what I'm talking about. The JEM is a supremely comfortable guitar.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:03 PM