1971 - The Very Best Year In Rock Music?
Gabriel Leopardi
May 12 2016, 02:26 PM
Instructor
A friend shared with me a cool article saying that 1971 was the best year in music.

Albums like Led Zeppelin IV, the Who’s Who’s Next, Jethro Tull’s Aqualung, the Doors’ LA Woman and Carole King’s Tapestry have been released that year so maybe he could be right....

This is the full article: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/may/...re_b-gdnculture

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 12 2016, 03:06 PM
Instructor
I think the late 70's and early 80's was perhaps the greatest period for rock, hard rock & metal. Say from about '76-'84. Tons of great stuff by Priest, Rainbow, DIO, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Michael Schenker, Scorpions

Martin Birch or Dieter Dierks behind the desk, Marshall amps........ enough said cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 12 2016, 03:08 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
May 12 2016, 03:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I guess, if youre into that type of stuff.... I know I am smile.gif
most of my favourite albums are from the 70s. I cant think of another decade which produced as many albums that have become personal favourites of mine.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Rammikin
May 12 2016, 05:13 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 12 2016, 01:26 PM) *
What do you think?

I think it would be hard to argue with that. Also released in 1971:

Sticky Fingers
Fragile
Cry of Love
Maggot Brain
A Space in Time
Every Picture Tells a Story
American Pie
Electric Warrior
Rory Gallagher Deuce
Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore
Alice Cooper Killer

+Quote Post
nikeman64
May 12 2016, 06:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Totaly agree with the above. We can start talking about the blues but the 70 ths were realy an explosion of new style guitar delight. A whole lot of other succesfull artists found their inspiration in that and developed styles and techniques in a more modern way. But yes !! HAIL TO THE SEVENTIES !

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 12 2016, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
Definitely one of the best years.

*Yes released two great albums that year, "the Yes Album" in February and "Fragile" in November.

Sly Stone's "there's a riot goin on" also came out in '71 as did the Doors "LA Woman".

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 14 2016, 04:53 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
What a year for rock. smile.gif Just a slew of groundbreaking albums that year. Its amazing to see bands releasing two albums in a year like Yes and Alice Cooper

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 15 2016, 05:34 AM
GMC:er
I would agree, 1971 is probably best year if you had to pick one. A number of performers had arguably their best work in that year, the Who and Rod Stewart really stand out to me from those already mentioned. And there were others not mentioned here.

Although considering how much they revolutionized music, 1964 is kind of hard to argue with just based on just one band. Yes they had 1963 British releases, but it did not all take off internationally until the1964 North American releases.

Meet the Beatles! (1964)
The Beatles' Second Album (1964)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Something New (1964)
Beatles '65 (1964)

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 15 2016, 06:19 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2016, 10:51 PM
Instructor
I think that it cannot win 1971 or 1964, but don't you think that 1991 has been a great year for rock??

http://tunecaster.com/years/year-end/rock1991.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_in_music

Just to name a few that I love:

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Use Your Illusion I
Use Your Illusion II
Metallica
No More Tears
Ten
Slave to the Grind
Innuendo

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:35 PM