2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do You Spend Your Gmc Time?
gregc1
Jul 30 2012, 07:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys, just curious to see how everybody spends their time while on GMC. Are you all business/practice/progression or do you just like to have fun with really cool backing tracks? Maybe a mix of both?

Me personally am a mix of both. I came to this site honestly because I was always searching for cool backing tracks to play with and came across one of Marcus Lavendell's videos on Youtube (Evening Blues) and thought how cool it would be to play with this track and maybe learn what he plays too, if I felt like it.

I finally ended up joining and going and playing with a bunch of the lessons I came across on Youtube. Then I took the time to learn a lesson and that's where I really got started. I joined Ben's Bushido course and have been working at that since the beginning. That's when I started focusing on getting better rather than just having casual fun.

I usually am working on 2-4 lessons at a time mainly at skill levels just above where I'm comfortable but with goals I know I can achieve with some work without getting too frustrated in the process. I have noticed the levels in which I'm comfortable have gone up so that's exciting and motivation to progress further but I also like to go back and just learn easier lessons that sound good. I usually use those to focus more on subtle techniques like vibrato, bending, just overall "feel" but they're mainly just for fun as a stress-free lesson to learn that just sounds good and satisfying to play.

Piotr's new lesson made me think of this and I just wondered what other people's thoughts are on how you spend your time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 30 2012, 07:54 PM
Instructor
It's cool to hear you enjoying various features of the site... you may be the only person using it for guitar related studies as I think the rest of us just hang around talking about food... rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jul 30 2012, 09:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Mmmmmm, food. A huge greasy cheeseburger sounds great right now.

What were we talking about again? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jul 30 2012, 09:41 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 30 2012, 06:54 PM) *
It's cool to hear you enjoying various features of the site... you may be the only person using it for guitar related studies as I think the rest of us just hang around talking about food... rolleyes.gif

Haha yes tongue.gif
I like talking about Donuts and how though it is to spend a week in the Temple with only rice and tofu biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ringmar
Jul 30 2012, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
I work on Todd's shred lessons, and also a couple of the video lessons. I'd like to attend more chats as I have enjoyed the ones I have done so far, but the times are not great for me (except Todd's that are Saturdays 5pm.) Also just a fun place to hang out.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 30 2012, 10:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
todd's chats are the only chats I could possibly make (due to work)
and I usually don't have the computer one whilst i practice because I end up surfin GMC- sometimes to practice with backing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2012, 02:54 AM
GMC:er
Well thanks! smile.gif I spend a lot of time prepping for the chats and I spend time answering questions in the forums. Here is a link to the SHRED JOURNEY program that Christian is talking about .

http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Join us on Saturday for our METAL MELTDOWN in chat! smile.gif

QUOTE (ringmar @ Jul 30 2012, 04:46 PM) *
I work on Todd's shred lessons, and also a couple of the video lessons. I'd like to attend more chats as I have enjoyed the ones I have done so far, but the times are not great for me (except Todd's that are Saturdays 5pm.) Also just a fun place to hang out.

Lucky me! smile.gif Always fun to have you guys in a packed chat room! It's a party every Sat!

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 30 2012, 05:29 PM) *
todd's chats are the only chats I could possibly make (due to work)
and I usually don't have the computer one whilst i practice because I end up surfin GMC- sometimes to practice with backing

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 31 2012, 10:49 AM
Learning Roadie
At the moment I'm spending most of my time on the forum, I need to get more disciplined and focused with my practice!!!!!!!

Most of my practice at the moment is using Ben's Land of Legato lesson 1 as my basis for getting my legato technique up to scratch.

Now my acoustic guitar is back in action I'm going to use Bluegrass and fiddle tunes to get my Alt Picking nailed.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 31 2012, 11:08 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jul 31 2012, 12:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I use GMC to get inspiration and energy

so the part of my body ,i am sitting with - on my sofa gets up and lets my learn playing guitar biggrin.gif

I dont wanna use the word A........ cool.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Jul 31 2012, 04:05 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 30 2012, 05:29 PM) *
todd's chats are the only chats I could possibly make (due to work)...

I wish I could make more of the other instructors chats but join in when I can. I do attend Todd's chats regularly & can definitely say that a lot of my improvement is thanks to him. smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 31 2012, 05:49 AM) *
At the moment I'm spending most of my time on the forum, I need to get more disciplined and focused with my practice!!!!!!!

I'm guilty here as well. Hearing the other member's progress, tips on practice & gear, the encouragement from instructors & members & meeting new members is addicting. This tends to steal away from my practice times so it seems like I'm on the forum for a while & then practicing more for a while.

I'm currently working on exercises from Alex's Mentoring program, a couple of lessons (mostly blues) & I am determined to get a REC done soon. I made a goal of getting four done by the end of the year so hopefully I will get at least one done soon. My problem is that I am a perfectionist & sometimes that's not a good thing. My other problem is when a new lesson comes out I start working on that & I stop working on others so I really don't ever complete (to my satisfaction) a lesson. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jul 31 2012, 04:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Blister @ Jul 31 2012, 03:05 PM) *
My other problem is when a new lesson comes out I start working on that & I stop working on others so I really don't ever complete (to my satisfaction) a lesson. mad.gif

Haha, yeah I hear you there. I do the same thing. I do have a hard time staying on one lesson for an extended period of time and seem to jump around as well. While I do want to push myself, I try not to reach too far so I can have steady progress through lessons and get the satisfaction of completing them and usually still learning something I couldn't do before, even if it is very minor.

Right now I've worked my way up to level 5-6, when I started this site a few months ago I was around level 3, dipping into level 4 so while I haven't killed myself practicing, I'm still progressing and having a damn good time doing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 31 2012, 05:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Nowadays I spend 50% of my GMC time in the forum, replying to completely guitar-unrelated topics.
The other 50%...well...I spend them in the chatroom, with our without an instructor with 4 or 5 other chat addicts laugh.gif

Then there are those days that I realize I should play some guitar and maybe upload collab and REC takes again.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 31 2012, 05:50 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

I spend most of my time with the mentoring programs. Gabriel for techniques, Alex with improv. and theory, and Bushido warrior for donuts. tongue.gif That is about all I have time for. Most of my posts are of me uploading a guitar lesson or assignment. Really would like to be more part of vchats and stuff but I watch my one year old daughter during the day and then work during the night. I usually sacrifice some sleep for the sake of guitar.

I initially joined in need of some motivation. I was hardly picking up my guitar for years. Getting older and distracted with the "career" etc. Though I'm a metal guitarist at heart, I wanted to jump into some other styles that I wasn't too familiar with like blues and jazz. I have no intentions of being in a band or have a musical career. I guess joining collabs and GMC is my "band" smile.gif Just having some fun with guitar again. Anyway, I was thinking of this stuff earlier in the week and saw this thread pop up so had to share. It is cool to read your guys way of spending your time here. You can really see what a multi-purpose site GMC is!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jul 31 2012, 06:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 31 2012, 04:50 PM) *
I have no intentions of being in a band or have a musical career. I guess joining collabs and GMC is my "band" smile.gif Just having some fun with guitar again.

Describes me perfectly. I used to play in a couple bands when I was younger but those days are LONG gone. Similar to you Degroot I went through a period of rarely playing and when I did I would usually just strum an acoustic. At some point a couple years ago got hooked back up on the electric and a few months ago joined GMC and now it's an everyday thing again.

Just learning the lessons with the amazing backing tracks these instructors make is all the band I need nowadays. Along with the collabs and the REC my guitar related needs are more than being fulfilled.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 1 2012, 12:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jul 31 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Describes me perfectly. I used to play in a couple bands when I was younger but those days are LONG gone. Similar to you Degroot I went through a period of rarely playing and when I did I would usually just strum an acoustic. At some point a couple years ago got hooked back up on the electric and a few months ago joined GMC and now it's an everyday thing again.

Just learning the lessons with the amazing backing tracks these instructors make is all the band I need nowadays. Along with the collabs and the REC my guitar related needs are more than being fulfilled.

right there with you guys ,band broke up in 03 stopped playing guitar altogether, learned piano for 4 or 5 years, and then one day I got the strange desire to conquer alt. picking(*something I could never do), still loosing the alternate picking battle, lucky for me I am stubborn

if you follow this link , under "jstcrsn", you can hear some of my songs
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ortal:GMC_Radio

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Aug 1 2012, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 2 2012, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 31 2012, 12:50 PM) *
I have no intentions of being in a band or have a musical career. I guess joining collabs and GMC is my "band" smile.gif Just having some fun with guitar again.

I was actually kinda surprised DeGroot & Greg said this. ohmy.gif You guys are really great. I actually search you out on the REC's to hear your takes on lessons as well as a couple other good players. I get inspired by those great REC takes & really motivates me to learn more. smile.gif I'm 49, just enjoying learning & have no expectations of being on stage other than at church (& I don't do that often...I really have a long way to go) but then again, who knows what the future holds. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 2 2012, 07:51 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 2 2012, 02:42 AM) *
I was actually kinda surprised DeGroot & Greg said this. ohmy.gif You guys are really great. I actually search you out on the REC's to hear your takes on lessons as well as a couple other good players. I get inspired by those great REC takes & really motivates me to learn more. smile.gif I'm 49, just enjoying learning & have no expectations of being on stage other than at church (& I don't do that often...I really have a long way to go) but then again, who knows what the future holds. wink.gif

Thanks for the words, Blister! I get the same inspiration out of other REC videos.... and when I'm practicing a certain lesson I usually check the REC archives to see if anyone has done a take.

I still have my sights set on creating some new music. Something along the lines of a "solo" project that I can record at home. I still jam with a drummer friend of mine every once in a while but its just for fun. smile.gif

I used to work with a guy who played acoustic guitar for his church every weekend and he had a blast doing that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2012, 08:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 2 2012, 03:42 AM) *
You guys are really great. I actually search you out on the REC's to hear your takes on lessons

Yeah, you guys are some seriously great players !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 2 2012, 02:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 2 2012, 02:42 AM) *

Hey Blister, I appreciate the comments man! I get inspired by watching REC takes as well.

For me, I'm 34 now and like you, just have been having a great time learning and reconnecting with the guitar. I'm not looking to create or join a band (my wife is thankful for this) anymore, just having fun at the house. I guess down the road if I was going to try and play out I would just want to do some bluesy, quiet dinner music or something where I didn't have to stay out all night and just make a little extra money a couple nights a week. Boring I know. wink.gif I would like to try and put together some original songs eventually though.

I really do get all the musical pleasure I need interacting with you guys and the instructors and learning/hearing everybody's takes on lessons, original stuff that gets posted, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 2 2012, 04:55 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 2 2012, 04:42 AM) *

Gary, it's never too late to join a band and play on a stage.
I've been in a coverband for almost 10 years, and the other guys were between 55 and 65 when I left (cause I was moving to another part of Germany). And I bet you're good enough to join a coverband smile.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:17 AM