2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Night Practice Or Morning Practice?
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 3 2011, 06:14 PM
Instructor
I've been analyzing my habits a little and discovered the following important aspects:

- In the morning, my head is fresh and so are my ears, so I tend to work on detailed things and stuff which usually implies hearing: ear training, composition, learning different musical/ guitar related things from the theoretical perspective.

- In the evening/ night, my limbs feel very loose and relaxed, so this is the time for practicing the things I've been learning in the morning or working on chops!

How does it work for you? Do you divide your practice routine, depending on what your body and mind feel like? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2011, 06:27 PM
Instructor
I find myself very productive in both moments.. however in the night I don't have distractions and I forget all the responsibilities and thins to do... so I'm more relaxed to play guitar at night.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 3 2011, 06:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
lately I have been trying to practice about 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evenings
hoping that this will more quickly train my muscle memory
the problem is ,during the week ,I work construction and my hands are usually worn out during the week and I can only get up to ,maybe 110- 120 quarter notes,but on the week ends ,like today, I am shreddin at 180 quarter notes

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 3 2011, 08:56 PM
Instructor
I like to practice at night don't know why but the energy is different and it's super quite I can concentrate on my routine and it feels like I'm learning more

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 3 2011, 09:31 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't really have a routine. I practice whenever I have time. Sometimes all afternoon. Night is the funnest time to practice - I somehow have more creativity.

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 3 2011, 10:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 3 2011, 05:14 PM) *
I've been analyzing my habits a little and discovered the following important aspects:

- In the morning, my head is fresh and so are my ears, so I tend to work on detailed things and stuff which usually implies hearing: ear training, composition, learning different musical/ guitar related things from the theoretical perspective.

- In the evening/ night, my limbs feel very loose and relaxed, so this is the time for practicing the things I've been learning in the morning or working on chops!

How does it work for you? Do you divide your practice routine, depending on what your body and mind feel like? smile.gif

I mainly practice in the evenings due to the fact that I have a night job and insomnia, so I sleep all day. Some of my neighbours think i might be really weird because when I go collect mail at about noon, it is right after I have woken up. I look really disheveled and stuff.

I don't change my routine at all because I feel that if I stick to my current one, my will strengthens a little bit more every time. I do it regardless of how tired I may be, etc.

This post has been edited by Nihilist1: Dec 3 2011, 10:11 PM

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 3 2011, 10:24 PM
GMC:er
around 18-20 pm or 2am-6am

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2011, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Well, since my 'fall asleep as a log hour' is around midnight, I tend to finish all activities before 11 PM otherwise I can fall asleep with the axe in my hand. I have this tremendous capacity of falling asleep regardless of what I am doing or the place where I am, if of course, I am tired enough! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 4 2011, 03:15 PM
Instructor
I usually practice at night, until I fall asleep. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2011, 05:31 PM
Instructor
But don't you feel that your eyes and brain want to let go at some point? Dunno, I mean, I stopped pushing it, because I feel I am not making any progress if I am too tired.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 4 2011, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 3 2011, 05:27 PM) *
the problem is ,during the week ,I work construction and my hands are usually worn out during the week and I can only get up to ,maybe 110- 120 quarter notes,but on the week ends ,like today, I am shreddin at 180 quarter notes

Oh Man, I hate that ! Although it's been quite a while since I've been on a building site, I've done plenty of that kind of thing and it most definitely is not guitar friendly. After a day of physical labour, usually involving horribly repetetive tasks, your muscles are just fizzing and all knackered. The worst was my first ever job, making roof trusses with large, wooden mallets all day.. aside from that, using the occasional concrete breakers made me feel like my nerve endings were destroyed !

To answer the main topic, I'm definitely a morning and daytime guy when it comes to getting things done and being motivated. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 4 2011, 12:11 PM) *
I have this tremendous capacity of falling asleep regardless of what I am doing or the place where I am, if of course, I am tired enough! biggrin.gif

Hehe, I cannot do that at all ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 4 2011, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 4 2011, 08:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 4 2011, 05:31 PM) *
But don't you feel that your eyes and brain want to let go at some point? Dunno, I mean, I stopped pushing it, because I feel I am not making any progress if I am too tired.

Yes, I do feel it, that's the point where I go to sleep smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 4 2011, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 4 2011, 04:31 PM) *

Nothing a cup of coffee can't fix!

But alas, I don't have that problem until about 4-6 AM Pacific Time.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 4 2011, 10:26 PM
Instructor
Starting with practice in the morning, students begin to come to me and I'm already warmed up smile.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor
I kinda ruined my practice routine in the last months, to be honest, because of the whole ruckus with my bands, but as I remember, Ivan went through the same period and started a fresh practice routine smile.gif I will use him as an inspiration and do the same wink.gif I actually started yesterday biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 6 2011, 09:48 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 6 2011, 08:45 AM) *
I kinda ruined my practice routine in the last months, to be honest, because of the whole ruckus with my bands, but as I remember, Ivan went through the same period and started a fresh practice routine smile.gif I will use him as an inspiration and do the same wink.gif I actually started yesterday biggrin.gif

Awesome! I hope you find this useful in creating a new practice routine. It was the biggest inspiration for mine(I do it daily! I have seen HUGE gains in my playing ability)

http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Ex..._workout_1.html

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 7 2011, 01:54 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I guess I'm an evening player smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 7 2011, 02:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 4 2011, 02:15 PM) *
I usually practice at night, until I fall asleep. smile.gif

Basically The exact same....Night time is the only time I get.... You can make it work if u want it bad enough cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 8 2011, 09:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Dec 7 2011, 01:36 PM) *
Basically The exact same....Night time is the only time I get.... You can make it work if u want it bad enough cool.gif

True Jordan, but in my case, after 11 PM I am feeling dead tired and I lose a lot of focus power unfortunately. So, since I can afford it, I'd rather keep things going throughout the day and early evening.

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 8 2011, 11:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 8 2011, 08:40 AM) *
True Jordan, but in my case, after 11 PM I am feeling dead tired and I lose a lot of focus power unfortunately. So, since I can afford it, I'd rather keep things going throughout the day and early evening.

For sure...I agree, I think my perfect time would be mid morning....That's when I feel my energy levels have peaked....shame about having to work to pay bills... tongue.gif

In saying that though, I have a month off for X-mas holiday's...and two of those weeks I will be by myself at home. This will be the first time I have actually had time by myself in years....and will most likely be the last time for years also haha.... So I have a great opportunity to spend 8 hrs a day if I want on playing guitar....I am excited as I realise this is a one off opportunity. I am currently writing a mega practice schedule for the 2 weeks biggrin.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:55 AM