Strictly Alt Pick [ 5 ] ** [29.41%]
Strictly Economy Pick [ 1 ] ** [5.88%]
Both Alt and Eco [ 11 ] ** [64.71%]
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
PosterBoy
Dec 6 2011, 10:30 AM
Learning Roadie
If we disregard Sweep Picking in this fight, as it really is it's own special technique for a specific purpose.

Do you just use Alt Picking or just Economy Picking or do you mix it up a bit, and if so when and why!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 6 2011, 11:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't know anymore as I do not write that often. Lately I have been doing nothing, but working on exercises. I study AP a lot, but only so I can be proficient enough when I start writing again.

The last couple songs I have learned, were Chord based. So, I cannot honestly answer this one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 6 2011, 05:37 PM
GMC:er
This will depend a lot on what you play, what feels natural and how you want to sound. I personally like Eco Picking but will use either.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 6 2011, 05:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I use alternate picking as long as what I'm playing is slow enough for me to do so. Once I hit the too fast to keep up with speed, I'll start eco picking, and often times rely on a custom hybrid picking approach (not with traditional finger picking but with every note picked). On a side, note, this custom hybrid I used is actually kind of a fun (but challenging) way to pick a 3 note per string scale wherein you down pick the first note, hammer on the second, up pick the 3rd, down pick the first on the next string, hammer on the second, up pick the 3rd, and so on. For descending, you would pull off the 2nd instead of hammer on ~ you still get a pretty close "picked" sound when going really fast, but it takes quite some time getting used to, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a hurry to pick fast biggrin.gif

Chris!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 6 2011, 07:21 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Its a combination for me , Economy picking whenever possible mixed with legato and incorporating inside and outside picking string shifts when necessary

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 6 2011, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
When doing fast runs i use alternate picking only

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 6 2011, 11:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
No,I am not a strict alt picking picker blink.gif ,but I want to be
let me explain
when I was learning alt.picking ,my teacher did not realize ( or did not care) that I was using economy, when I finally realized the difference, my timing was off from economy so much that I could not alt pick with timing , So this is what the majority of my routine has been for the last 5 years
Hopefully one Day , I will achieve this

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 6 2011, 11:35 PM
Instructor
I use both but mostly Alternate picking...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 6 2011, 11:44 PM
Instructor
Mostly depends on the filing, but both are in use..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 7 2011, 12:33 AM
I grew up on metallica so mostly down picking for me but I'm working on alt picking atm.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2011, 02:02 AM
I use AP when descending (high to low strings) and ECO ascending ( low to high strings) it seems much more natural in terms of economy of motion and using the momentum of the hand. When going up, I usually move on a down stroke and keep the down stroke going in to the next string. It's one of the little tricks I learned along the way to help with precision/speed/efficiency.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 7 2011, 02:32 AM
Learning Roadie
I haven't learned Economy picking yet.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2011, 05:55 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 6 2011, 08:32 PM) *
I haven't learned Economy picking yet.

It's pretty simple wink.gif For example, make a down stroke on the low E, now keep moving your hand towards the high strings. Now strike the A string as you pass by it. Congrats. Eco! Essentially, two similar strokes back to back. Not to be confused with sweep picking, which is more about dragging the pick across many strings in one direction.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 8 2011, 06:50 AM
Instructor
It's a tough question I guess it depend on the style I'm playing I think mostly economy and sometimes alternative...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 8 2011, 09:57 AM
Instructor
I use a combination of hybrid and alternate picking. Very rarely, economic picking, but it all depends on the context. Hybrid opens up SO MANY possibilities and alternate offers that machine gun percussive effect which no other technique can achieve tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 8 2011, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Mostly alternate with occasional economy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2011, 10:44 PM
Instructor
It's important to know both techniques, so I choose both! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:10 AM