Pickup
TeoWulf
Dec 13 2011, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan SH-4) in my new guitar for a more 'metal' one, but I don't really know what to consider.
Could you guys recommend some?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
llibach
Dec 13 2011, 07:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
EMG are always good for metal but if your after something different check out Bareknuckle pickups they have a few metal ones, aftermath, nailbomb and warpig to name a few they are a bit expensive though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Dec 13 2011, 08:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Can't beat a Bareknuckle Aftermath in my opinion! There are a whole bunch of pickups on their site with samples you can listen to.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 13 2011, 09:40 PM
Apart from Bareknuckle and EMG as suggested you could look at Seymour Duncan Blackouts for active p/ups.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 13 2011, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Some hotter pickup might do you well, like EMG, but you will loose some of the dynamics and character with hotter pickups. You will gain in clarity on hi-gain settings tho.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 13 2011, 11:42 PM
Learning Roadie
IMO..... Dimarzio Dactivator, amazing clarity and pick attack response. Great for Metal, and it also has a great clen tone which i was suprised at too. I dumped one into my Washburn....and wow....very impressed.

Hope u end up finding someting to suit u.]

Cheers cool.gif

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Dec 13 2011, 11:43 PM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 13 2011, 11:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Dec 13 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Hi

I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan SH-4) in my new guitar for a more 'metal' one, but I don't really know what to consider.
Could you guys recommend some?

I would think twice,that is a great all around pick-up, the Alnico magnet in it creates better cleans , the a for mentioned will increase gain
(a little), but you will loose nicer blues tones. As always it is give and take ,but much more has to do with skill and surety of notes

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 14 2011, 12:41 AM
Instructor
I've a lot of good things about the Bareknuckles

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 14 2011, 04:41 AM
Instructor
Another nod here for blackouts. Also I've heard people talk about the Dimarzio Super 3.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2011, 05:40 AM
Instructor
I tried a Schecter guitar with Seymour Duncan Blackouts and they were so metal. I loved these pick-ups.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 14 2011, 06:13 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
When it comes to all-out-balls-to-the-wall metal, its hard to beat the EMG 81 in the bridge. Its aggressive, clear, and has a big punchy bottom end. It does have some drawbacks however. Its not the best clean pickup and the sound isn't as detailed as a passive pickup. But if you're looking for a top notch metal pickup, these are minor issues. This is the pickup to use if you want to punch people in the face with your riffs.

One other pickup that I can highly recommend is the DiMarzio Crunch Lab. I just played a John Petrucci signature model that had this pickup in it, and was simply amazed by how good it sounded. Very crunchy and punchy, but with tons of detail and articulation.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 14 2011, 07:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (llibach @ Dec 13 2011, 06:50 PM) *
EMG are always good for metal but if your after something different check out Bareknuckle pickups they have a few metal ones, aftermath, nailbomb and warpig to name a few they are a bit expensive though.

Nailbomb +9001

That pickup is beautiful.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Dec 14 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys, I never heard of bare knuckle pickups, so I cheked them out... they are the best pickups ever, I agree but they are far out of my price range.
Wich is better SD Blackouts or EMG 81s?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 14 2011, 05:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Dec 14 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Thanks guys, I never heard of bare knuckle pickups, so I cheked them out... they are the best pickups ever, I agree but they are far out of my price range.
Wich is better SD Blackouts or EMG 81s?

Don't forget , if you change from passive to active you will also have to change All the volume , tone pots and place for a battery as well, and if you still have a passive in the neck position - they can not share the same pots ,so you will have to take that into consideration( as with your budget )

All of the passive pick-ups(mentioned) will serve you well. One not mentioned is a Seymor duncan Invader bridge that I used to record this
at this link https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ortal:GMC_Radio and go to jstctsn- never look away

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 15 2011, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Have a look at the Suhr Aldrich lots of Hard Rock and Metal fans with that one

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 15 2011, 11:57 AM
Instructor
It depends on what sort of guitar you have. If you enter the bareknuckle site, for instance, they can provide recommendations for your specific needs.

Try it: www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:20 AM