Ozzy Style Collab, FINAL MIX
Daniel Realpe
Dec 15 2011, 01:31 AM
Instructor
Ozzy style collab final mix

I'm excited to post this final mix video smile.gif Here it is:

I hope you enjoyed it, I know I did, and it's great have you guys on board. Here are some comments:

- Quadrium:

I like that you are treating your phrases as phrases. Starting and finishing clearly.

I like the way you start off very calmly and confident. I would be careful with the long silences, maybe it’s a bit too much, you can always leave long notes ringing to avoid such long gaps.

I think the next step is to play more aggressively and by that I mean make those bends more wide and fast. In this style it is required to be abusive with your guitar smile.gif

Also make sure your bends are completely in tune, and the end of the take sounds off, it would be better if it cuts off with the music, unless there’s a very clear intention behind staying on your own without the backing.

Thanks for that take!

- AK Rich:

Great start! biggrin.gif Alexi Laiho style! pretty wild solo! nice bends, in-tune, aggressive! I went the same route with mine smile.gif

The timing is precise and makes the solo really shine because it makes you sound like you are in control and have intention, specially in the parts where you do repeated patterns.

I loved the middle to end part where you slowed down and made a nice ascending pattern starting with a tri-tone, that part gives the solo character and just a mix of scales, well done!

There’s a small “mistake” where the open G string rings out but again I can picture a rock guitar player just rocking out hitting those strings hard so, it can be passed

The end is a bit cut off, it sounds more pro and clean to end the solos with purpose like you meant it, and not just cutting them abruptly, just look at how Zakk does it, he never ends solos abruptly, at least as far I know of.

Lovely cat biggrin.gif

Great solo! thanks!

- Todd:

So many good things to say about your take Todd. The double bends which you chose sound great, I chose the same area to start smile.gif They sound wild yet in tune and controlled, the way it has to be smile.gif

Your timing is great, and that makes your phrases clear and the intention behind them really shine!

I love the way you used extra notes outside the pentatonic to give the solo those few dorian and minor flavors! At the very end I loved that reflective touch with that major second, it contrasts with the general rock feel it started with.

I’m trying to find bad things to say about it smile.gif it’s a pretty clean and rich solo. Thanks for the take!

- Ivan:

I love the tone, feel and control in your solo! Quite tasty phrasing!

I love how you slow down and squeeze some notes, great take! And the hat and glasses makes it even cooler! smile.gif

Thanks for joining!

- Daniel:

I’m using mainly the minor pentatonic in a couple of different positions, mainly 1 and 4 in Eb minor.

I was very aware of the intention I was going for with this solo so I decided to do a series of wild bends and vibrato both with the fingers and the whammy bar. Also I paid a lot of attention to the timing, every note starts and finishes with an intention.

I also listened to a couple of Zakk Wylde and Slash solos before hand to get some inspiration.

The fast arpeggio is a Ebm7 arpeggio skipping strings ala Guthrie Govan where you play the whole four notes of the arpeggio in one string starting from the seventh and then play the same arpeggio in the D and high E string starting on the low E string.

Thanks for joining and thanks for listening!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Dec 15 2011, 01:34 AM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoom
Dec 15 2011, 02:12 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys that ROCKED!! Awesome.

So many cool licks LOVE it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2011, 02:38 AM
GMC:er
WOW. Killer mix, killer collab and DANIEL your solo is just AAAAMAMMAAAZZING.. I had to watch it several times to see what in living heck you are doing at the end with the string skipping polynote hammering/tapping. I tried to pimp your technique but frankly it's beyond me. I get the theory but I just couldn't pull it off, well played! I"m going to have to work on that sort of lick, its' so effective and sounds so unique I just love it.

I notice that I accidently ripped off your solo in mine with some of the micro tonal pentatonics and and bends laugh.gif Great minds think alike! smile.gif I actually heard bits of that in my head as well when I first hear the backing.

I wanted to create some contrast at the end and I"m glad you liked the Major 2nd bit I threw in smile.gif It's always fun to toss in a twist at the end, just like in good movies. smile.gif I read once that a good solo tells its own story and like a good story has a beginning, middle, and end, and twists at the end can be great in movies, so I started doing it in solos too wink.gif

Congrats on a great collab!

Todd

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 14 2011, 07:31 PM) *
Ozzy style collab final mix

I'm excited to post this final mix video smile.gif Here it is:

I hope you enjoyed it, I know I did, and it's great have you guys on board. Here are some comments:

- Quadrium:

I like that you are treating your phrases as phrases. Starting and finishing clearly.

I like the way you start off very calmly and confident. I would be careful with the long silences, maybe it’s a bit too much, you can always leave long notes ringing to avoid such long gaps.

I think the next step is to play more aggressively and by that I mean make those bends more wide and fast. In this style it is required to be abusive with your guitar smile.gif

Also make sure your bends are completely in tune, and the end of the take sounds off, it would be better if it cuts off with the music, unless there’s a very clear intention behind staying on your own without the backing.

Thanks for that take!

- AK Rich:

Great start! biggrin.gif Alexi Laiho style! pretty wild solo! nice bends, in-tune, aggressive! I went the same route with mine smile.gif

The timing is precise and makes the solo really shine because it makes you sound like you are in control and have intention, specially in the parts where you do repeated patterns.

I loved the middle to end part where you slowed down and made a nice ascending pattern starting with a tri-tone, that part gives the solo character and just a mix of scales, well done!

There’s a small “mistake” where the open G string rings out but again I can picture a rock guitar player just rocking out hitting those strings hard so, it can be passed

The end is a bit cut off, it sounds more pro and clean to end the solos with purpose like you meant it, and not just cutting them abruptly, just look at how Zakk does it, he never ends solos abruptly, at least as far I know of.

Lovely cat biggrin.gif

Great solo! thanks!

- Todd:

So many good things to say about your take Todd. The double bends which you chose sound great, I chose the same area to start smile.gif They sound wild yet in tune and controlled, the way it has to be smile.gif

Your timing is great, and that makes your phrases clear and the intention behind them really shine!

I love the way you used extra notes outside the pentatonic to give the solo those few dorian and minor flavors! At the very end I loved that reflective touch with that major second, it contrasts with the general rock feel it started with.

I’m trying to find bad things to say about it smile.gif it’s a pretty clean and rich solo. Thanks for the take!

- Ivan:

I love the tone, feel and control in your solo! Quite tasty phrasing!

I love how you slow down and squeeze some notes, great take! And the hat and glasses makes it even cooler! smile.gif

Thanks for joining!

- Daniel:

I’m using mainly the minor pentatonic in a couple of different positions, mainly 1 and 4 in Eb minor.

I was very aware of the intention I was going for with this solo so I decided to do a series of wild bends and vibrato both with the fingers and the whammy bar. Also I paid a lot of attention to the timing, every note starts and finishes with an intention.

I also listened to a couple of Zakk Wylde and Slash solos before hand to get some inspiration.

The fast arpeggio is a Ebm7 arpeggio skipping strings ala Guthrie Govan where you play the whole four notes of the arpeggio in one string starting from the seventh and then play the same arpeggio in the D and high E string starting on the low E string.

Thanks for joining and thanks for listening!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 15 2011, 02:40 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 15 2011, 03:04 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Woooo Hoooo!! Shredfest!!! cool.gif Awesome job everyone! smile.gif Killer backing Daniel loved it man, top notch solo too dude you rock!! One thing tho, I was wondering how my take got so far out of sync in the final mix. Was it something I did or didnt do while making the recording?Please let me know so I can correct it in the future. Hey Ivan I loved that killer thick tone you had on this one, care to share the patch you used?

Peace! Rich...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2011, 05:45 AM
Good call! Let's share some patches! If that is a patch Daniel, I'd certainly like a copy! Here is the patch I used on this solo. It's GUITAR RIG 4 Custom Patch I built just for this solo. Was going for a Randy/Jake/Zakk sort of hybrid high gain thing.

Attached File  GMC_OZZY_COLLAB_CUSTOM_GUITAR_RIG.ksd.zip ( 5.32K ) Number of downloads: 71

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 15 2011, 08:31 AM
Learning Guitar Hero

- AK Rich:

Lovely cat biggrin.gif

Great solo! thanks!

Oh snap!! Thanks for the critique Daniel! You are too kind sir smile.gif , Now I am going to have to go and find out who Alexi Laiho is unsure.gif laugh.gif
About the mistake durring the slower ascending pattern, I cant believe I fumbled the easiest part for me! I think there are actually a couple missed tones there maybe even 3, I slay myself! rolleyes.gif

And about the end, you know I was wondering after I posted it whether I should have held on to that last note as if the music was going to continue so as to maybe blend into the next take, But I dont think that is what you meant by your comments on that part.
I'll take your advice on that for sure.

Once again thanks for the collab and the comments Daniel this is great fun. smile.gif

Peace, Rich...

Oh yeah Todd! GR4 patch eh? I'll take a nibble of that man thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 15 2011, 09:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Todd's solos always put a smile on my face biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 15 2011, 11:51 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Excellent guys smile.gif

Just added this one on the wiki main page cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 15 2011, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 15 2011, 05:45 AM) *
Good call! Let's share some patches! If that is a patch Daniel, I'd certainly like a copy! Here is the patch I used on this solo. It's GUITAR RIG 4 Custom Patch I built just for this solo. Was going for a Randy/Jake/Zakk sort of hybrid high gain thing.

Attached File  GMC_OZZY_COLLAB_CUSTOM_GUITAR_RIG.ksd.zip ( 5.32K ) Number of downloads: 71

It is a patch, but it's in my POD x3. It's basically the "Citrus D-30" amp which emulates an orange (an amp not the fruit), and I added a "Classic distortion" in the stomp section,

EQ is basically all in 50, so basically flat, with a little more on the highs, and presence,

it was great fun to have you on the collab!

QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 15 2011, 11:51 AM) *
Excellent guys smile.gif

Just added this one on the wiki main page cool.gif

thanks Fran!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 15 2011, 08:31 AM) *
- AK Rich:

Lovely cat biggrin.gif

Great solo! thanks!

Oh snap!! Thanks for the critique Daniel! You are too kind sir smile.gif , Now I am going to have to go and find out who Alexi Laiho is unsure.gif laugh.gif
About the mistake durring the slower ascending pattern, I cant believe I fumbled the easiest part for me! I think there are actually a couple missed tones there maybe even 3, I slay myself! rolleyes.gif

And about the end, you know I was wondering after I posted it whether I should have held on to that last note as if the music was going to continue so as to maybe blend into the next take, But I dont think that is what you meant by your comments on that part.
I'll take your advice on that for sure.

Once again thanks for the collab and the comments Daniel this is great fun. smile.gif

Peace, Rich...

Oh yeah Todd! GR4 patch eh? I'll take a nibble of that man thanks smile.gif

Alexi is one of my favorite metal guitarists, and no worries about the critique, I'm glad you get something out of it,

Sorry about the sync problems I tried to leave it as close as possible to what you sent, it felt right when editing, I'll pay more close attention to that on the next collabs,

smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2011, 05:04 PM
Instructor
This collab rocked man, great backing and great mix. Thanks for the comments Daniel, really nicely made collab! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2011, 05:09 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 15 2011, 03:30 AM) *
Todd's solos always put a smile on my face biggrin.gif

Thanks MUDBONE smile.gif Actually playing it was putting a smile on mine, as it was just an awesome backing! Download this backing and work with it and you can seriously come up with stuff you didn't expect.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:50 AM