Edguy's January Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Jan 3 2010, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Hi Roman,

We are continuing with our MTP in January where we left of in December. I hope you had good celebration for new years and extra couple days of, now its time to do some work. Your 1st assignment will be based on Triads lesson but this time you will do 2nd part of series.

1st assignment and REC :

- Triads in a song context

- Record video of Triads in a song context found HERE
- Use backing track provided in the thread when recording it.
- Try to apply left hand fingerings I applied but stick to right hand fingerings all the way.
- Upload video on Youtube and post it in this thread here.
- When you are done with video, post it in REC part of forum for grading!

Deadline for this assignment is January 10th.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  120bpm.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 232

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
edguy
Jan 4 2010, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow Pedja,

that's a nice sounding lesson. But in the first place i think it could be very hard for me biggrin.gif We will see how things come together while practicing this.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 4 2010, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Thank you Roman!
If you don't finish it by 10th we will extend deadline by day or two so that you can complete it. Once you get going it will be easier as you go along wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 8 2010, 10:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

i want to give you a quick update how the assignment is going on. So i thought the best way is to record a take for you. I used the 90 bpm backing and I am sure you can hear that i need a lot more hard work to get this nice piece of music to a good level.

This was just a quick recording. I practice this lesson very hard. Sometimes i play it better and sometimes it sounds like on the track i recorded or even worse. But i will do my best.

Attached File  MTP_January_status_Bad.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 204

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 9 2010, 03:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 8 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

i want to give you a quick update how the assignment is going on. So i thought the best way is to record a take for you. I used the 90 bpm backing and I am sure you can hear that i need a lot more hard work to get this nice piece of music to a good level.

This was just a quick recording. I practice this lesson very hard. Sometimes i play it better and sometimes it sounds like on the track i recorded or even worse. But i will do my best.

Attached File  MTP_January_status_Bad.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 204

Hey Roman,

Thank you for sending me the audio recording of the lesson. This is not bad at all man. There is only one chord that you got wrong which is right at 00:20. Check that one out in your guitar pro file and notes and make sure you do the right one there. Everything else is pretty good. By playing it consistently you will get the flow in it. I know when I was composing the lesson it was natural for me but then I didn't play it for a month or so and then I even had to remember what I was doing there smile.gif You get the idea man, look forward to final recording of it and video for REC!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 11 2010, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

i recorded a video tonight. But the sad news is i don't like it and it is not passing grade material. Nevertheless i post it here so you can see where i am at the moment. The last update i used the 90 bpm backing. In the video i used the 120 bpm which i need to post it on rec. I have two problem areas or two chord changes that drives me crazy. One is right after i played the 3 single notes. i always land with my ring Finger on the wrong string
for the next chord. The second problem area are the last 3 chords its hard for me to change there so quickly.

So i want to make 2 suggestions:

1. You watch the video and comment it. After you gave me some tips i will practice it till the end of the month beside the other assignments and i will record a better version for REC

2. For the 2 assignment i have an idea. Maybe you like. If not feel free to give me another one. In this lesson you used the chords and inversion from the other parts. In the video description you gave two examples oh which inversion you used and your last sentence was: It's up to oyu to find out what other inversions i used or something like that.

So my idea is that for the second assignment i will try to post all the chords and inversions you used in this lesson and name the notes of the chord in the right order. With that i will stay focused on the lesson and also learn a little more about the fretboard.

Hope you like it and my English was not too bad ( i am very tired right now)

So here is the video

i am going to bed now biggrin.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 13 2010, 03:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 11 2010, 11:03 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

i recorded a video tonight. But the sad news is i don't like it and it is not passing grade material. Nevertheless i post it here so you can see where i am at the moment. The last update i used the 90 bpm backing. In the video i used the 120 bpm which i need to post it on rec. I have two problem areas or two chord changes that drives me crazy. One is right after i played the 3 single notes. i always land with my ring Finger on the wrong string
for the next chord. The second problem area are the last 3 chords its hard for me to change there so quickly.

So i want to make 2 suggestions:

1. You watch the video and comment it. After you gave me some tips i will practice it till the end of the month beside the other assignments and i will record a better version for REC

2. For the 2 assignment i have an idea. Maybe you like. If not feel free to give me another one. In this lesson you used the chords and inversion from the other parts. In the video description you gave two examples oh which inversion you used and your last sentence was: It's up to oyu to find out what other inversions i used or something like that.

So my idea is that for the second assignment i will try to post all the chords and inversions you used in this lesson and name the notes of the chord in the right order. With that i will stay focused on the lesson and also learn a little more about the fretboard.

Hope you like it and my English was not too bad ( i am very tired right now)

So here is the video

i am going to bed now biggrin.gif

Hi Roman,

I watched video couple of times and there are couple of things I would like to say here. First and most important thing is that this is not as bad as you feel it is. I would grade this with 7 perhaps because it is not as easy lesson as it seems and you got 1st part of the lesson very well. Second part of the lesson especially ending part is what needs more work. I am sure that after playing this for couple more days it will be much more smoother and flowing. Lets make the REC for this by the end of the month but do make sure that you do it. As far as assignment 1 goes you barely passed it because it is 7 in my book smile.gif
For 2nd assignment I totally agree with you. Why don't you dig in more into it and figure out chord inversions and write them all out for me. I will post the official guidelines for the assignment very soon for you.

Thanks Roman!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:35 AM
Instructor
Roman we continue with your 2nd assignment for January. This assignment is sort of like an essay or written theory behind your current level of knowledge. This will help me totally understand where you are at right now. I will give you couple of topics from which you can choose one (or more if you want to!) and write me as many things as possible about it. The deadline for this assignment is 17th of January. Here are the topics for your 2nd assignment :

1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.
3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
8) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor modes and harmony?

Remember, pick one (or more if you can do it by deadline) and write me as much as possible on given subject. I want to read and understand how you approach and understand given material.
Deadline for this assignment is 3 days from now, 17th of January. Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 17 2010, 11:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

I picked topic number one, because in my opinion it is the base of our musical system and i have to know it by heart! But i also think that i covered some parts of topic 2 and 3 .

cheers Roman

Attached File  Tell_me_everything_you_know_about_major_scale.pdf ( 40.34K ) Number of downloads: 1375

This post has been edited by edguy: Jan 20 2010, 11:23 AM

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 22 2010, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Roman here are your remaining assignments for January.

3rd assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

4th assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen A minor as your chord. Now you also chose A minor to be treated as II (Dorian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from G major scale ( A , B and E minor pentatonics) over A min chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for these assignments is 31st of January! Let me know if you have any questions !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 25 2010, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

i hope you remember that i owe you a Rec take biggrin.gif

Well here it is:

i will post this also on the REC board.

cheers Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 26 2010, 03:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 25 2010, 07:38 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

i hope you remember that i owe you a Rec take biggrin.gif

Well here it is:

i will post this also on the REC board.

cheers Roman

Hey Roman,

This is great stuff! Much better than previous take. Its starting to come together, couple of minor mistakes but this is 8+ material. I might have under graded that lesson with low rating, it should be 5+ for sure. smile.gif
Get to the last assignments as you got 5 days to finish it all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 26 2010, 10:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja,

here is a first impression what i read out of the Text.

I choose for my recording E minor Chord and say it's on II scale degree.
No i know when E is II than i have to go down a whole step to D so i get D major Scale or E dorian Mode right?

The D major scale has the notes: D E F# G A B C# D.

For the Superimposing approach i will use: E F# and G minor Pentatonic over the E minor chord right??

When you say now: "Yeah Roman you got it", than i can start to record biggrin.gif:D:D

by the way this is a cool assignment!

cheers Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 26 2010, 10:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 26 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

here is a first impression what i read out of the Text.

I choose for my recording E minor Chord and say it's on II scale degree.
No i know when E is II than i have to go down a whole step to D so i get D major Scale or E dorian Mode right?

The D major scale has the notes: D E F# G A B C# D.

For the Superimposing approach i will use: E F# and G minor Pentatonic over the E minor chord right??

When you say now: "Yeah Roman you got it", than i can start to record biggrin.gif:D:D

by the way this is a cool assignment!

cheers Roman

"Yeah Roman you got it" biggrin.gif
Thank you man, this is really cool assignment. By the way, you don't need to do all 3 pentatonics, just pick one to superimpose with (F# or G# ). Also you had typo I am sure, you wrote G minor when it really should be VI scale degree C# wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 26 2010, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Oh yeah bad typo biggrin.gif so i can choose between F# and C# biggrin.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 26 2010, 11:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 26 2010, 10:48 PM) *
Oh yeah bad typo biggrin.gif so i can choose between F# and C# biggrin.gif

Correct ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 31 2010, 08:46 PM
Instructor
Roman deadline for assignment was today. I am still expecting your take, try to get it to me asap. Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Feb 1 2010, 06:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Pedja,

sorry for the delay. Here is my take. It's far away from being good.

Maybe it could be useful that you play over my backing and show me how the develop nice sounding licks or ideas instead of just noodling the pentatonic scale.

Cheers Roman

Attached File  A4.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 183

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 1 2010, 07:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Feb 1 2010, 06:59 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

sorry for the delay. Here is my take. It's far away from being good.

Maybe it could be useful that you play over my backing and show me how the develop nice sounding licks or ideas instead of just noodling the pentatonic scale.

Cheers Roman

Attached File  A4.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 183

Hi Roman,

I like this take, it is very melodic actually. If you want me I could record something over your backing track in couple of days. I am preparing your 1st assignment for February and I got gig on Wednesday so after that I could possibly do it. This definitely passes the last 2 assignments. I will close this thread for January and open a new one (February) for you soon. Thank you Roman!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:18 PM