2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Playing And Computer Work, How does it affect our hands?
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2011, 01:34 PM
Instructor
hey everyone!

Since I am working with a computer for at least 8-9 hrs a day, I am very curious to know if it affects my hands, and if the answers is yes, what can I do to prevent injuries of any nature?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 10 2011, 02:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Shouldn't be any negative effects. Just make sure you follow all these various office posture guidelines. Check out effective keyboard typing (so you use as many fingers as possible, instead of straining just a few ones. I use all my fingers on my left hand, but only 2-3 on my right hand for example..)
I very much doubt it has any effect on your guitar playing whatsoever though.. I would be more concerned for your back, if your sitting position is not too good etc. But 8-9 hours is not that much smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 10 2011, 02:11 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 10 2011, 06:34 AM) *
hey everyone!

Since I am working with a computer for at least 8-9 hrs a day, I am very curious to know if it affects my hands, and if the answers is yes, what can I do to prevent injuries of any nature?

I did that for years, longer than 8 or 9 hours often. No problems. Some people have problems, but I suspect there is not a lot you can do to prevent it if you are vulnerable (although you will get all kinds of advice on how you might). Problems occur in the nerves, often due to pinching by hard skeleton tissues. A lot is just genetics. I have always had good posture, because I am athletic, so it is natural for me to sit up straight. I never worried about all the things people said to do or not do. You might get a real nice typing platform. I used one that was real nice, adjusted all ways. I also bought a very expensive ergonomic chair. They cost maybe $700 USD or so, but a very nice. If you are going to work on computers like this, I would invest in the chair for sure.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 10 2011, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2011, 02:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jan 10 2011, 01:08 PM) *
Shouldn't be any negative effects. Just make sure you follow all these various office posture guidelines. Check out effective keyboard typing (so you use as many fingers as possible, instead of straining just a few ones. I use all my fingers on my left hand, but only 2-3 on my right hand for example..)
I very much doubt it has any effect on your guitar playing whatsoever though.. I would be more concerned for your back, if your sitting position is not too good etc. But 8-9 hours is not that much smile.gif

Thanx man smile.gif my back is ok, due to the fact that I got used to a proper stance, but I was mainly concerned about ligaments, tendons or nerve injuries - if these won't occur, I can't be anything else but happy smile.gif

thanx again

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 10 2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I worked similarly for more than 16 hours a day sometimes. My problems was the back though I didn't have much of hand problems. Some people do have hand problems, not being able to move the hand as they wish because its been staying at the same position for long hours for a long time. The best bet would be to sit properly for the back and then taking break regularly to stretch your hands/fingers time and again. Keep a guitar on your side of your desk and every hour or so play it (if you have that privilege). I had it and perhaps that was the reason I didn't catch the hand/wrist problem. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 10 2011, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 10 2011, 07:35 AM) *
I worked similarly for more than 16 hours a day sometimes. My problems was the back though I didn't have much of hand problems. Some people do have hand problems, not being able to move the hand as they wish because its been staying at the same position for long hours for a long time. The best bet would be to sit properly for the back and then taking break regularly to stretch your hands/fingers time and again. Keep a guitar on your side of your desk and every hour or so play it (if you have that privilege). I had it and perhaps that was the reason I didn't catch the hand/wrist problem. smile.gif

I strong agree about the posture. When I was a kid I was weak, and had bad posture. After high school I became very athletic, and have stayed that way since. My posture naturally became very good as a result of that. I sit at a table and and struck at how most people slouch. It is really bad for you back, but I think strength building exercise is really the key there. The same goes with holding your guitar. Guys slouch a lot. It should be stand up straight, chest out, not slumped shoulders. As my doctor says, exercise is the most important thing you can do for your health, it makes up for a lot of things. So all you guitarist, pump yourself up, don't be a girly man!

Try Glucosamine/Chondroitin and/or MSM. That really helps people. The human back is an evolutionary prototype, it needs all the help it can get. If a person has a serous problem, that is different. But for the run of the mill aches half the world experiences, this stuff does wonders. You find a shelf full of it in any American drug store, because it works. Not just for the back, for your joints in general, for your long term skeletal health. My physical therapist cousin says the same, she takes it because she does not want to end up like her mother. It takes about a month to start working. I used to have some back aches 10 years ago. That went away after I started taking this stuff.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 10 2011, 10:21 PM

+Quote Post
slash48
Jan 10 2011, 11:02 PM
Greg Irwin has some fantastic finger independence and finger stretching exercises on Youtube that keep your hands in prime shape. I would suggest practicing those on the job so your fingers stay flexible and are less prone to injury.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2011, 10:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 10 2011, 09:11 PM) *
I strong agree about the posture. When I was a kid I was weak, and had bad posture. After high school I became very athletic, and have stayed that way since. My posture naturally became very good as a result of that. I sit at a table and and struck at how most people slouch. It is really bad for you back, but I think strength building exercise is really the key there. The same goes with holding your guitar. Guys slouch a lot. It should be stand up straight, chest out, not slumped shoulders. As my doctor says, exercise is the most important thing you can do for your health, it makes up for a lot of things. So all you guitarist, pump yourself up, don't be a girly man!

Try Glucosamine/Chondroitin and/or MSM. That really helps people. The human back is an evolutionary prototype, it needs all the help it can get. If a person has a serous problem, that is different. But for the run of the mill aches half the world experiences, this stuff does wonders. You find a shelf full of it in any American drug store, because it works. Not just for the back, for your joints in general, for your long term skeletal health. My physical therapist cousin says the same, she takes it because she does not want to end up like her mother. It takes about a month to start working. I used to have some back aches 10 years ago. That went away after I started taking this stuff.

hey man! Thank you very much smile.gif I'll document myself a little further in this direction biggrin.gif I usually work out 4 times a week, and I almost always walk, regardless of where I am going, so I think that in this direction I am quite ok wink.gif please keep me posted if you have any other useful info

cheers!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2011, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Cosmin. Good question and it's good that you are thinking about it. The best weapon us musicians have for fending off injury is knowledge. The guys have already mentioned posture which is incredibly important.

A lot of people using computers for long periods of time can be subjective to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. There are certain measures one can take to avoid encouraging this.. I think there are some special mouse mats or something that keep your wrist at a level angle, so you're not bending your wrist up when using the mouse. Posture is one thing, but over using the flexors and extensors of the fingers can lead to wrist problems.

As you say, you work out so chances are you already have a strong muscular system, including your forearms.. keeping your posture good and stretching and having breaks should be enough to keep your hands in good health. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2011, 02:50 PM
Ben is dead on here. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can wreck your world. You can't play, can't use a computer, nothing. It's living hell. I did this to myself several years back and had the braces on both arms for months. The best thing to do is take care of your arms.

1.)Get a good ergonomic position when computing.
2.)Warm up your arms before playing/working (wrist rolls, gentle stretches)
3.)Take frequent breaks (once every hour take a break and stretch your hands, wrists a bit)
4.)Drink plenty of water (helps to flush out lactic acid that builds up in muscles over time)
5.)STOP if you feel pain, whether playing or working.

Just some basic precautions. Take care of your arms, you only get one pair smile.gif Imagine if you only ever got one pair of strings, for life. You'd treat them well.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 12 2011, 01:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2011, 03:50 PM) *
Just some basic precautions. Take care of your arms, you only get one pair smile.gif Imagine if you only ever got one pair of strings, for life. You'd treat them well.

I wouldn't do one bend!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 12 2011, 02:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2011, 02:50 PM) *

That would require some serious Fastfrettin' smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 12 2011, 01:48 AM) *
That would require some serious Fastfrettin' smile.gif

Hey guys!

thank you so much biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 12 2011, 10:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2011, 01:50 PM) *

I wouldn't do 1 bend either. I'd also use the floppiest picks ever !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2011, 12:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 12 2011, 09:45 AM) *
I wouldn't do 1 bend either. I'd also use the floppiest picks ever !! wink.gif

And smooth everything up with a custard donut!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 15 2011, 09:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 12 2011, 11:06 AM) *
And smooth everything up with a custard donut!!!! biggrin.gif

You got it !! See, you're coming round to my way of thinking. Donuts are the answer and the future ! So says Ben 'The Donut Master' Higgins. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 18 2011, 03:03 PM
Instructor
I think that good posture and warming-up/strecthing properly will go a long way! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2011, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 15 2011, 08:17 PM) *
You got it !! See, you're coming round to my way of thinking. Donuts are the answer and the future ! So says Ben 'The Donut Master' Higgins. tongue.gif

Mate, i actually enjoyed one last night! biggrin.gif it tasted absolutely delicious biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 19 2011, 03:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 19 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Mate, i actually enjoyed one last night! biggrin.gif it tasted absolutely delicious biggrin.gif

Excellent, they are gorgeous aren't they ? There's no going back now ! : laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 21 2011, 02:12 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should try to make pauses every 1 hour or so. Stand up and walk around. Do some exercises/stretches. Also find equipment that fits you well and don't put stress on your hands - keyboard and mouse. Chair is very important for the back. That is where most of problems occur when sitting down all day long.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:35 AM