Cheap 7-string Guitar
mariogl91
Oct 7 2008, 12:54 AM
GMC:er
Hi, I want to buy a cheap 7-string guitar that is below $450 dlls. I've never had a 7-string so I just want something I can mess around with.

I found two options: Dean Vendetta VNXM and Ibanez RG7321.

The Vendetta is $200 and the RG is $400. If I bought the Vendetta I could spend the extra $200 on getting some decent pickups.

What would you recommend me?

Thanks,
Mario

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 7 2008, 01:15 AM
eh, I've heard that its better to stay away from the cheap Deans, so you would be better off going with the Ibanez smile.gif. But, if you're willing to look into other guitars, Schecter makes a 7-string Damien model, and being the owner of a 6-string Damien, I can say you get more bang for your buck with a Damien.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=513104
just incase you wanna look...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mariogl91
Oct 7 2008, 01:25 AM
I was looking at schecters because of your comment and found the Schecter Omen-7. Do you know anything about it?

Oh, I also heard schecters have huge necks. Is that true? I'm used to playing thin necks like wizards on Ibanez guitars.

+Quote Post
Sami
Oct 7 2008, 01:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
Personally i would say the Ibanez RG7321. I've playied both before, the dean was a bit disgraceful... lol but it coulda just have been set up bad. While the ibanez was a dream to play, the action was crazy low, i was surprised it was only 400. I think Ibanez have really got good necks for 7 strings. But im no expert you should definitely try them out! just saying if i was you i would get the ibanez.

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 7 2008, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (mariogl91 @ Oct 6 2008, 07:25 PM) *
I was looking at schecters because of your comment and found the Schecter Omen-7. Do you know anything about it?

Oh, I also heard schecters have huge necks. Is that true? I'm used to playing thin necks like wizards on Ibanez guitars.

from what I understand, Schecter's Omen series is more entry-level oriented (i might be wrong), but if its a Schecter, its probably a well-built machine. You would need to change the pickups out if you got it, though, they're said to be pretty lifeless tone wise. IMO, you'd be better off with the Damien 7 or the Ibanez you mentioned eariler

And about the necks, my Schecter's neck is pretty thin i'd say. its not Ibanez thin, its a little bit thicker, but then again its not Gibson thick tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Oct 7 2008, 01:49 AM

+Quote Post
mariogl91
Oct 7 2008, 02:22 AM
Well I think I'm gonna but the Ibanez and save up a little more to change the pickups because I don't really like the INF's it has.

Any other suggestion's welcome

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Oct 7 2008, 02:26 AM
I got my 1527 prestige with dimarzio upgrades off ebay for $500.00 usd.

Try EBAY?

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 7 2008, 04:29 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Did you ever play on a 7-string guitar? If not I suggest you try one first, cause the necks are just HUGE. I only tried one once and didn't like it at all.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 7 2008, 04:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Oct 7 2008, 05:29 PM) *
Did you ever play on a 7-string guitar? If not I suggest you try one first, cause the necks are just HUGE. I only tried one once and didn't like it at all.

Marcus is right , I would suggest trying out in a store first to see if you like it...Now when I think about it, it maybe wise to pay as less as you can if you just want "to mess around with it", because you won't get a very good guitar in that price range anyway.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 7 2008, 04:42 PM
I own two 7 strings. 1 is a Damien 7 by Schecter which i absolutely love and the other is an Ibanez XPT707. The Xiphos looks really wicked cool and has a super fast neck but because of this i find that it is only good for playing lower stuff.. I hardly ever use my high e,b,or g on the Ibanez just because i get no feeling out of it. Its a great death metal guitar but when ever im playing fast necks with really low action i just don't get the tone i do out of slower necks like the Schecter. All 7 strings have much bigger necks then 6 strings just because you have another string. The Ibanez keeps the thin profile on the neck but its still wider. The Schecter is wide and a bit deeper. As for price they both cost about 900. I would definitely not go entry level if you are getting a 7 string. The very fact that it is a 7 string means you should be looking for a better guitar then your 6 string. If your skeptical of wanting a 7 string and thats why you want an entry id say you should go into a shop and play 1 for a good couple of hours to doodle around rather than spending money on a crappy 1 smile.gif...
just my 2 cents

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Oct 7 2008, 07:52 PM
Instructor
I would recommend the Schecter, great value! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 7 2008, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Oct 6 2008, 09:26 PM) *
I got my 1527 prestige with dimarzio upgrades off ebay for $500.00 usd.

Try EBAY?

eBay's a touchy thing when you're buying guitars. In my experience, you either really need to know what you're looking for when you buy (sound/feel, etc) or be willing to put up with some possible issues if something's cheap enough.

There are some bargains out there. I still think my Roadstar was a bargain, even with the fret wear and the wiring issues I need to get fixed on it.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 7 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
My vote to Ibanez. It is always better to get a more expensive and quality guitar. Forget new pickups, you can change them later, first you see how to stocks are doing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 7 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi there,

I think i can help since i've got a Schecter Omen 7 Extreme (black cherry finish). The extreme version is a bit different compared to the Omen 7, it's only a few bucks more expensive, but it's worth the price. The vector inlays, Schecter humbuckers and Schecter toneknobs know their job, while the regular Omen 7 has a much more dull finish, and some cheaper pickups.

I bought my Omen 7 Extreme as a first 7 string, so i was in the same situation as you are now, and im sure now that ive scored the best i could. The Ibanez sucks, ive tried it, they wanted to hang it in my neck to take it away in some stores, because even the sellers hated it. Muddy pickups, bad finish etc.

Dont be nervous about the neck. It IS thick, and it is going to be strange, however, i loved the frets, and became used to the thickness in no time. Just be careful to warm up properly, to adjust you muscles to the increased force a 7 string demands. First you will realise that your hand gets tired a bit sooner than regular, but if you switch back to the normal guitar after a 2-minute adjustment, you'll fly like hell biggrin.gif laugh.gif

So if you stick to your idea about a 7string, Schecter Omen 7 (Extreme) is your guitar in this price range. You dont even need to only mess around with it, you're gonna love it biggrin.gif

Hope this helped,
cheers

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:13 AM