Changing A Macbook Screen
Crazy_Diamond
Sep 9 2009, 12:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Folks,

I have been awy from GMC from a couple of month now since I was too busy this summer. I have just a move now in a new appartment close to my university. But, I have now a major problem.

In the moving process, my macbook felt on the floor. At first I taught there was no damage but as soon as I opened it, I saw that my screen wasn't working anymore. What a shame. I brought my computer to an apple store and the guy told me it was 700$ to repair it. So I went back home to find another solution.

I had a look on ebay and I find a new screen for 100$ (shipping include). I want to try to change the screen by myself.

Anyone has experience with macbook reparation ??

Thanks guys!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Sep 9 2009, 12:28 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Sep 9 2009, 12:25 AM) *
Hello Folks,

I have been awy from GMC from a couple of month now since I was too busy this summer. I have just a move now in a new appartment close to my university. But, I have now a major problem.

In the moving process, my macbook felt on the floor. At first I taught there was no damage but as soon as I opened it, I saw that my screen wasn't working anymore. What a shame. I brought my computer to an apple store and the guy told me it was 700$ to repair it. So I went back home to find another solution.

I had a look on ebay and I find a new screen for 100$ (shipping include). I want to try to change the screen by myself.

Anyone has experience with macbook reparation ??

Thanks guys!!!

Yeah, the repair costs are incredible.

I would recommend not repairing it yourself, and would just get an external display.

TJ

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 9 2009, 12:39 AM
Instructor
I really no idea,
maybe you should look in forums to see if someone
else does those reparation with lower charge?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Sep 9 2009, 12:44 AM
Repairing a LCD on any laptop is not a big deal. I've done probably a thousand in my lifetime. The basic repair is the same on most laptops. Here's a video link to help you out:

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_snbFa9Zg

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Sep 9 2009, 01:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have look a bit in some other forums and I have found a few video. I doesn't really look that complicated but i him still wondering if anybody have done it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 9 2009, 01:17 AM
Instructor
I always had a surplus of parts after each repair. It is interesting that the repaired device is still working properly! huh.gif
If you want to do by yourself and you want to be sure about, turn on the camera and Record !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Sep 9 2009, 01:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 9 2009, 12:17 AM) *
I always had a surplus of parts after each repair. It is interesting that the repaired device is still working properly! huh.gif
If you want to do by yourself and you want to be sure about, turn on the camera and Record !

Great idea, never taught of using a cam!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Sep 9 2009, 01:40 AM
Crazy_Diamond, see my post above. Yes, others have done it. And yes there is a video link in my post.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 9 2009, 01:52 AM
Instructor
Never had that problem, but very interested in hearing how you did with the repair!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 9 2009, 06:32 AM
That's why it is recommended to get Apple Care. Might be expensive, but when things like this happen (or any other malfunction/accidents) then Apple will take care of you no problem and not have to pay for it, as long as you have Apple Care of course.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Sep 9 2009, 06:32 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
twist
Sep 9 2009, 08:35 AM
Apple stuff is a pain to repair. Its not hard or complicated, it just needs enough time to unscrew everything, open up plastic shells that are not meant to be opened and so on...

I think with a bit of patience it is not a problem to change the display by yourself, just make sure you have enough time, and the proper tools! Oh, and before you get everything back together, TEST EVERYTHING! There is nothing more annoying than having to everything twice smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 9 2009, 11:43 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Like JCJXXL I've replaced a few screens on laptops but only on windows ones; I've never tried it on a mac. It's possible but a bit fiddly.

I think before you do try and repair/replace the screen you need to check whether its the screen, cable or the video card/chip. Plug in an external screen and see if it displays ok:

NB - opening up the clam shell will probably invalidate any warranty that you have.

1)If it does then either the screen has pulled away from the cable or it is broke. If you can get the clam shell open then do so and check that the cable is properly connected and if not re-seat it. If it is properly connected then you should investigate getting a replacement screen.

2) If it doesn't display then the video card/chip is possibly the issue.
Changing the video card/chip on most laptops isn't an easy job as most are soldered on to the mobo. If you check on a mac forum someone should be able to tell you if this is the case - or you can open up the clamshell and look. If it isn't soldered then you should be able to replace like for like.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Sep 11 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've done it,

It was a really easy job. I had take a lot of time to do it cause I wanted to be sure that I wasn't breaking anything.

But finally I have fixed it.

A 100$ for the screen and about 2 hours to do it ... It way better then the 700$ that Apple ask me.

QUOTE (VinceG @ Sep 9 2009, 05:32 AM) *
That's why it is recommended to get Apple Care. Might be expensive, but when things like this happen (or any other malfunction/accidents) then Apple will take care of you no problem and not have to pay for it, as long as you have Apple Care of course.

Yeah well now I kow the importance of the Apple Care program but at the time I bought my computer I didn't knew thas it give so much protection I just taught it was a crappy warantly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 11 2009, 09:23 PM
you should do a video on how to do it!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 11 2009, 09:26 PM
Instructor
That's great news!
If that ever happens to me, I will definitally get in touch with you for advice! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Sep 12 2009, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (VinceG @ Sep 11 2009, 08:23 PM) *
you should do a video on how to do it!

I believe some of the tutorials on Youtube are pretty decent and are way better that what I am able to produce.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:38 PM