2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Collab Ideas!
Adam
Mar 13 2019, 07:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi! This time it's me starting this topic. I really liked the previous one and I have a few ideas of my own.

My idea is mostly based on Metallica. In some of their songs and instrumentals there are different types of sections that would fit everyone, I think. I'm not saying we should do a Metallica collab, just throwing the ideas:

* heavy and slow riffs
* quick passages in lead and riffs/gallops etc. in rhythm
* climatic clean rhythm and lead fills
* harmonies
* maybe some breakdown section
*maybe some wild bass solo too, if anyone at GMC plays bass

There are probably other things I didn't mention BUT based on how well we did on the previous collab, I'm thinking up till now we had the rhythm sections in the backing track but I'd try dropping the guitar track and leave the bass and drums only, so if someone wants to do the rhythm part, they would be able to. And then others would have a chance to play over this rhythm take. Of course I'd still keep the drum-bass-guitar version for participants interested in leads only.

I used Metallica as an example but I'm curious about your ideas too.

To let everyone consider their ideas, do some trial and error testing and maybe join forces with others, like in the Anthem collab, I'd make the deadline longer than 10 days, say 3-4 weeks? I know most of us here are busy and some unexpected events that could prevent from participating (like power shortage). In case of co-operation longer deadline would mean more time to talk things through. What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 13 2019, 07:23 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2019, 11:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
It has seemed to me in the last 5-7 collabs that the time has not mattered much for participation, but I'm open to having longer time if it suits more people. I've personally been known to push the deadlines.

I like the idea of more cooperation on the collab though smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Mar 14 2019, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
 e-----------------------------------
b------------------------------------
g-----------------------------------
d-----2-------2--------2------------
a---2-------2-------2---------------
e-0---- 0-3-----3-2------2-3-5-2-3-

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 14 2019, 03:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
Had a bit of fun with some Metallica like riff writing just now because of this thread. Feel free to use or not use any of it, of course depending on what theme we choose smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Metallica.gp5 ( 36.68K ) Number of downloads: 62

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 14 2019, 05:07 AM
Sounds cool smile.gif Might be a pinch long on turn around, but whatever works for folks. I was thinking that having song with a chorus/theme bit (like most Satch tunes) would be cool. I"m always up for something heavy groovy smile.gif I've had life get in the way for me on the last couple so I'm hoping to make up for it on the next one.
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 13 2019, 10:56 PM) *
Had a bit of fun with some Metallica like riff writing just now because of this thread. Feel free to use or not use any of it, of course depending on what theme we choose smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 14 2019, 09:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 14 2019, 03:56 AM) *

WOW! Just wow! This is a really great piece! Definitely has Metallica vibe to it. I'd love to give it a try but I may also try writing some lyrics for it! Even if we choose some other theme, I'll try recording it!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 14 2019, 05:07 AM) *
Sounds cool smile.gif Might be a pinch long on turn around, but whatever works for folks. I was thinking that having song with a chorus/theme bit (like most Satch tunes) would be cool. I"m always up for something heavy groovy smile.gif I've had life get in the way for me on the last couple so I'm hoping to make up for it on the next one.

I'm suggesting it mostly to make it easier to co-operate with others to encourage it because I believe we can do it! For me getting ideas and choosing the best ones is quite time-consuming but maybe it's too long. Maybe if we treat this one as an experiment, we'll see how long it will take for everyone but I think a co-op focused collab sounds really nice and definitely will help making progress!

QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Mar 14 2019, 01:59 AM) *
 e-----------------------------------
b------------------------------------
g-----------------------------------
d-----2-------2--------2------------
a---2-------2-------2---------------
e-0---- 0-3-----3-2------2-3-5-2-3-

Nice one! It's got that vibe and it's self-looping really well too!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 14 2019, 09:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 14 2019, 10:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 14 2019, 09:30 AM) *
WOW! Just wow! This is a really great piece! Definitely has Metallica vibe to it. I'd love to give it a try but I may also try writing some lyrics for it! Even if we choose some other theme, I'll try recording it!

Feel free to expand on it. It was just thrown together quickly smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 14 2019, 01:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 14 2019, 10:42 AM) *
Feel free to expand on it. It was just thrown together quickly smile.gif

Thanks! If you did that quickly, I'm curious what you'd come up with if you took some time to think it over! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 14 2019, 02:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 14 2019, 01:35 PM) *
Thanks! If you did that quickly, I'm curious what you'd come up with if you took some time to think it over! smile.gif

This is something completely and I can't remember if I have shared it with you before:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2019, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Great brainstorming here guys!! I like to go for a Metallica style backing track, and we can definitely try a longer deadline to see if more students participate. The secret is to keep the thread live constantly so it doesn't disappear and then nobody finished their takes (This has happened in the past, that's why I've been trying with shorter deadlines).

Please keep the ideas, riffs and suggestions coming!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 14 2019, 03:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think it's best to try to get two weekends into the time scale as this is when most people get time to record and try ideas. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Mar 14 2019, 04:17 PM
https://soundcloud.com/bascuthach/gmc-metallica-collab

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 15 2019, 12:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 14 2019, 02:04 PM) *
This is something completely and I can't remember if I have shared it with you before:

This is great! Did you do it all by yourself?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2019, 03:05 PM) *
Great brainstorming here guys!! I like to go for a Metallica style backing track, and we can definitely try a longer deadline to see if more students participate. The secret is to keep the thread live constantly so it doesn't disappear and then nobody finished their takes (This has happened in the past, that's why I've been trying with shorter deadlines).

Please keep the ideas, riffs and suggestions coming!!

As Phil said, two weekends should be enough but for me Thursday and Friday are like a weekend, so 2,5 week should be enough?

QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Mar 14 2019, 04:17 PM) *

Nice work! This could be the backing track for clean section! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 15 2019, 12:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 15 2019, 01:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 15 2019, 12:03 PM) *
This is great! Did you do it all by yourself?

Yep, haven't really had a band for many years. Some of it is programmed (but written by me). Not the guitars and vocals though, those were recorded in my old apartment.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 15 2019, 01:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 17 2019, 09:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 15 2019, 01:06 PM) *
Yep, haven't really had a band for many years. Some of it is programmed (but written by me). Not the guitars and vocals though, those were recorded in my old apartment.

Do you mind if I burn it on a CD for my car?

So far, I've been practicing the clean section of your tab and I'm amazed! You captured what I'd describe as Hetfield's signature chords and the way he transitions between them in it. It makes me wonder, I probably should pay much more attention to classical guitar and cowboy chords if I really want to learn his prowess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2019, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Thanks for the suggestions, I think that we can go for that amount of time and see what happens.

Any other ideas on backing track styles?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2019, 05:01 AM
I keep trying to get him to sing a metal song in Danish! I think it would sound cool smile.gif This is one of my fave Tracks of Bens. Hmm. What about a BEN COLLAB? Where we use VOYAGE or a chunk of it as our backing? Whaddya think?

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 17 2019, 04:15 PM) *
Do you mind if I burn it on a CD for my car?

So far, I've been practicing the clean section of your tab and I'm amazed! You captured what I'd describe as Hetfield's signature chords and the way he transitions between them in it. It makes me wonder, I probably should pay much more attention to classical guitar and cowboy chords if I really want to learn his prowess.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2019, 05:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 18 2019, 01:01 AM) *
I keep trying to get him to sing a metal song in Danish! I think it would sound cool smile.gif This is one of my fave Tracks of Bens. Hmm. What about a BEN COLLAB? Where we use VOYAGE or a chunk of it as our backing? Whaddya think?

Stay tuned! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 18 2019, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 18 2019, 05:01 AM) *

That's a nice idea! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 19 2019, 03:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 18 2019, 05:44 PM) *
Stay tuned! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:08 AM