Buying A New Guitar Frmo Ebay, Anyone who has experience with it cross country?
mhskeide
Oct 22 2009, 08:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
hi guys

I`m on a hunt for a new bass guitar, and I`ve currently fallen in love with the Ibanez ATK700 (which is not for sale anymore, at least so it seems). I found some at Ebay, so my question is, is ebay 100 % safe if I buy from a "top-rated" seller?

Bear in mind that I live in Norway, so it`s a heck of a long journey for the bass to travel.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

There are the main page for them at ebay, and they vary frmo 250$ - 600$. A new ATK 300 retails in norway at 1000$

I expect both shipping and customs to cost a bit in addition, but I`m pretty sure it`s still cheaper than buying here at home. Plus I get a more awesome-looking model biggrin.gif

And how does the PayPal think work? For instance the worst possible case, recieving the guitar with broken neck or similar. Will the money be transfered back to me or something?

As usual, all help and tips are greatly appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 22 2009, 08:26 PM
GMC:er
I looked at some of those sellers, and I would not hesitate to buy from them if it was the guitar I wanted. You have the usual drawback of not playing it first, but typically if you "just know" you want it, then it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had a bad experience on ebay, I bought a guitar from a pawn shop on ebay and it was great.

Paypal acts as an intermediary, keeping your financial details private from the seller. They do offer SOME protection from bad sales.

The blue one, from Masterpiece Music, I would buy with complete confidence.

Forgot to mention, you can rely on feedback of 99.8% or 100%. You can spot the bad apples looking through their feedback.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jdriver: Oct 22 2009, 08:29 PM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 22 2009, 08:41 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (jdriver @ Oct 22 2009, 09:26 PM) *
I looked at some of those sellers, and I would not hesitate to buy from them if it was the guitar I wanted. You have the usual drawback of not playing it first, but typically if you "just know" you want it, then it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had a bad experience on ebay, I bought a guitar from a pawn shop on ebay and it was great.

Paypal acts as an intermediary, keeping your financial details private from the seller. They do offer SOME protection from bad sales.

The blue one, from Masterpiece Music, I would buy with complete confidence.

Forgot to mention, you can rely on feedback of 99.8% or 100%. You can spot the bad apples looking through their feedback.

I`m not so obsessed by beeing the first on to try guitars, but sometimes I just make up my mind: you will be my baby!
Happened with both my guitars and some of my amps, and now most likely my next bass tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 22 2009, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Oct 22 2009, 01:41 PM) *
I`m not so obsessed by beeing the first on to try guitars, but sometimes I just make up my mind: you will be my baby!
Happened with both my guitars and some of my amps, and now most likely my next bass tongue.gif

That's what I meant, sometimes you just know in your heart what you want.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Oct 22 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Always first Investigate until you get a good feeling and then place a bid.

1) Look for the feedback: this will give a nice idea if the seller will be okay
2) also look how many things the have sold at with period (days/weeks/ month)
3) Get in contact and start asking question about the guitar: serial numer, date build, shipping costs, shipping method etc. You can check the serial number at Ibanez they you know if the speak the truth when it was build
4) Asked for more pictures detailed of the body, the neck the frets by email: they you know the photo's are new
5) Asked how it gonna be shipped and asked for track and trace number
6) Don;t ever send cash or use western Union to foreign country just used pay pal that will be safe ( I have bought two guitars PRS and Ovation and and citizen aqualand watch on ebay without a problem)

Just open a paypal account. That will be linked to a credit card/ bank account. The will never see your credit card or bank account number. They will only see that ypu have paid a auction. If you win a bid all will be automatic arranged within ebay. It workes very good
It quite easy look at www.paypal.com for more information

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 10:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Oct 22 2009, 11:34 PM) *
Always first Investigate until you get a good feeling and then place a bid.

1) Look for the feedback: this will give a nice idea if the seller will be okay
2) also look how many things the have sold at with period (days/weeks/ month)
3) Get in contact and start asking question about the guitar: serial numer, date build, shipping costs, shipping method etc. You can check the serial number at Ibanez they you know if the speak the truth when it was build
4) Asked for more pictures detailed of the body, the neck the frets by email: they you know the photo's are new
5) Asked how it gonna be shipped and asked for track and trace number
6) Don;t ever send cash or use western Union to foreign country just used pay pal that will be safe ( I have bought two guitars PRS and Ovation and and citizen aqualand watch on ebay without a problem)

Just open a paypal account. That will be linked to a credit card/ bank account. The will never see your credit card or bank account number. They will only see that ypu have paid a auction. If you win a bid all will be automatic arranged within ebay. It workes very good
It quite easy look at www.paypal.com for more information

All good tips, specially about PayPal,
a friend "bought" some Avalon preamp not so long ago,
he payed 2500 euros approx and never received it,
luckily he used PayPal and got refund....

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 22 2009, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
i,ve used e-bay for a couple of years now, i have bought guitars and a hell of alot of guitar parts and my experience has been 100% positive, i,ve always got what i ordered. but i only buy from top rated sellers with high feedback and going through PAYPAL is very safe!....hopefully this helps at all?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 22 2009, 10:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess if its a top rated seller then its safe to buy a guitar that way. It would be good though to find a deal which includes a hard case (flight case) for easier and safer shipping? I don't know how they package guitars for such long distance shipping? Any experiences with that ? I never bought anything "big" from ebay.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 22 2009, 10:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I`ve been emailing the seller all night, he has been shipping international for 15 years and never had a complaint (so he says at least), so I trust he ships the guitar properly protected smile.gif

His feedback is also 100 % positive which has to be good biggrin.gif
I`ve not asked for new pics though, maybe I should do that. And some of the other tips from playaxeman (thanks a lot).

The only thing that is making me postpone the order, is that I have to be sure how much the customs will be, and if it`s possible to avoid them. Anyways, the customs must be around 40 % before it won`t be a profitable purchase, and I don`t even think greedy Norway will demand that much from me tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 22 2009, 10:56 PM
Learning Roadie
as far as shipping goes i bought a 2007 malmsteen strat from california and it was well packaged and arrived in perfect condition.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Oct 23 2009, 12:52 AM
Instructor
If you buy from a seller with tons of good feedback etc then your usually safe if something should go wrong.

Ebay stores can really take a hit if you give them a bad feedback, so good sellers will always try to make everything.

A good rule is to never skimp out on shipping when buying the more expensive equipment. The better plans have better insurance.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Oct 23 2009, 12:53 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 23 2009, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 22 2009, 03:46 PM) *
I guess if its a top rated seller then its safe to buy a guitar that way. It would be good though to find a deal which includes a hard case (flight case) for easier and safer shipping? I don't know how they package guitars for such long distance shipping? Any experiences with that ? I never bought anything "big" from ebay.

Several of the sellers he is looking at are selling brand new guitars with hard cases, so I'm guessing they are inspected and put back in the case and the original box for shipping. If he says he's been shipping 15 years international, that sounds pretty good!

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 23 2009, 08:40 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
UPDATE!

As soon as the seller wakes up and goes to work, he`ll find my order for a new bass biggrin.gif

Hopefully I recieve it within two weeks or so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 23 2009, 10:05 AM
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Oct 23 2009, 09:40 AM) *
UPDATE!

As soon as the seller wakes up and goes to work, he`ll find my order for a new bass biggrin.gif

Congrats on getting it mate! I heard only good things about those basses! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 23 2009, 10:09 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 23 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Congrats on getting it mate! I heard only good things about those basses! smile.gif

So did I when searching for them, everyone said that they`re underpriced and underrated and except for some minor differances in craftmanship/quality, they`re almost equal to the stingrays (which are 2-3 times the price)!

+ the ATK 700`s has a real nice finish IMO biggrin.gif , and the neck inlays aint the traditional single dots, but a more funky one wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Oct 23 2009, 10:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Oct 23 2009, 09:40 AM) *
UPDATE!

Great congrats,

How about import taxed/ tax duties in Norway, figured that out yet?

I think so good luck.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 24 2009, 10:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Oct 23 2009, 11:52 PM) *
Great congrats,

How about import taxed/ tax duties in Norway, figured that out yet?

I think so good luck.

25% of the purchase + shipping price. smile.gif

edit:
oh yes, and congrats! biggrin.gif Looking forward for pics!
I've bought two of my three guitars on ebay, never had a problem. Just make sure the seller is a good guy first smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Oct 24 2009, 10:43 AM

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 27 2009, 10:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Oct 24 2009, 10:42 AM) *
25% of the purchase + shipping price. smile.gif

edit:
oh yes, and congrats! biggrin.gif Looking forward for pics!
I've bought two of my three guitars on ebay, never had a problem. Just make sure the seller is a good guy first smile.gif

He`s a great guy, helping me to lower the taxes at the bass

AND

he got that the shipping a TINY bit cheaper, so he actually took the bother and transfered the huge sum of 4$ back to my account tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Oct 27 2009, 11:05 PM) *
He`s a great guy, helping me to lower the taxes at the bass

AND

he got that the shipping a TINY bit cheaper, so he actually took the bother and transfered the huge sum of 4$ back to my account tongue.gif

Its good that you found a cool seller! Tell us when bass arrives and how it went with customs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Oct 31 2009, 03:59 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 31 2009, 02:51 PM) *
Its good that you found a cool seller! Tell us when bass arrives and how it went with customs.

I sure will do!
It`s gone a week now, so I`m hoping that it may arrive next week biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:41 PM