Funk Fusion Collaboration, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Laszlo Boross
Dec 1 2009, 12:57 PM
Instructor
Hi friends!
Thank you all for your takes, I apreciate your efforts .

I really enjoyed to listen to these takes and here is the final mix. We can hear some great ideas layed down on this backing track. The takes are very different, everyone tried to create a unique production. We could hear solos in rock and blues style, as well as jazzy elements. It was full of diversity.
I hope you also enjoyed it as much as I did and we’ll meet on my next collaboration! smile.gif smile.gif

Attached File  funk_fusion_final_mix_01.mp3 ( 7.02MB ) Number of downloads: 555

Toroso (0:02-1:00)

Great take, Toroso! I really liked the repeated theme in the beginning then as you built it with the higher notes. We can hear similar patterns in the 3. and 4. circle of the funk part, in my oppinion you should try to use higher frets with more bended notes. Some notes appeard a bit out of tune.
After this the rock part was more dinamyc and freer, as if you would have felt this part better. The melodic line is great, on the other hand here you should try to execute more bends. Overall this is a very well constructed solo.
Please pay more attention to the vibratos and timing! Play the take several times to the end with the backing track, that your take could be even more accurate in rhythm and melody. However at the simple notes that arenot bended, hold the note, because if you bend it a bit it will sound out of une.
The acoustic sound in the beginning is a good choice, very thick and the reverb is also adjusted well.
I realy liked the distorted sound you used in the rock part. Well done Toroso!!

Jafomatic (1:00-1:58)

The take starts with a very good theme, that gives a bit mysterious feel to the whole part. The guitar sound also fits into this part. In my opinion the third circle of the funk part was the best . In the fourth part with an enhancement we got to the rock part, where you played a great wah solo. This was a very good idea, the take was more interesting because of it. Locking theme outside of the circle however is awesome!
You used the scales very well on the takes, but I missed the bends a bit. With the use of some bends your take could be even more exciting.The other thing however is the timing on which you have to pay attention a bit better. Your playing will be more accurate if you focus on this.
The guitar sound is very good in both parts. In the first part we can hear a very nice thick nature sound, this is perfect. The distorted sound seems to be a bit thinner, but this sounds also nicely. The effects are configured suitably.

Staffy (1:58-3:00)

This is a really great take from you Staffy! In the first part we could hear a true Fender sound, that is a bit thinner as on the firs two takes, but it sound s really wonderful. The first part is very varied. First there is an opening theme with some bended notes, then follows an octave solo and in the last circle we could hear an exciting jazz solo.The second part is very skilled, the arpeggios sound good, maybe the staccatto part is not quite perfect yet, but sounds good on the take.
Bends are not quite accurate on some places, but this part and the vibratos are OK in my opinion. What you have to do is to pay more attention to the timing and as I said you have to play the runs even more precisely.
I liked the take concenring the sound, the distorted sound was duly thick and well-stuctured and the effects were also in proportion.

JVM (3:00-3:57)

Though you played less notes in the first part, you gave a totally different mood to the whole.
This is a good idea and it’s true, somtimes less is more. The second part could have been a bit more dynamic though and less similar to the previous one. The second part is also well constructed with nice melody but you have to empasise this better and there are some false notes and on some parts the guitar can hardly be heard.
In the funk part you have to pay more attention to the vibratos because if it’s not played accurately, your playing will seem out of tune. And also at bends the accuracy is very important. In the rock part you have to pay more attentio to the dynamics.
Your sound is a quite thick distorted sound, what fitted well into the recording. You might could have chosen two different sounds to the two parts, but this also sounds good.

Dexxter (3:57-4:58)

Very good take with nice melodic lines. The starting theme is good, however in the following bars there is no need to break the solo at the end of every bar, try to connect the bars with a sustained note or a bend. You play a very nice melody in the second part too, but you must emphasise on dinamics a bit better, so you can arrive to the next part.
As I hear, you don’t have any problems with bends and vibratos, although there are some timing issues on some places, but nothing serious. I would force the technical practices a bit and with some runs your take can be still more colorful.
The gitar sound is the same during the whole take, this is a distorted pleasent sound, maybe a little too digital for me. I prefer a more analog distorted sound , but this is a matter of taste.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my lessons
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 1 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanx for Your comments Laszlo! Yeah, I know bout these things, I think I maybe played a little beyond my actual level, but on the other hand - You will not learn something new if You don't try... smile.gif It was a nice collab anyway, it really grooved! smile.gif

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Toroso
Dec 1 2009, 07:25 PM
GMC:er
Thanks Laszlo! Bends,vibrato and timing, oh my wink.gif ! Great collab, I enjoyed it very much. smile.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Dec 1 2009, 09:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks Staffy! Thanks Toroso! I'm glad you enjoyed this collaboration. I hope we'll meet on an other collab. smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 1 2009, 09:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Laszlo, funk is a bit of a weakness for me I think, though I love it so I have to keep trying smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Dec 2 2009, 02:15 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Great takes guys!

Congrats to your first collab, Laszlo! smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Toroso
Dec 2 2009, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
Some notes appeard a bit out of tune.

However at the simple notes that are not bended, hold the note, because if you bend it a bit it will sound out of tune.

I think this is a big problem for me. I also think that is why some have said my git is out of tune. I have a tendency to slur notes, partly because I like the way it sounds, partly because of sloppiness. huh.gif I need to work on stopping that and only apply slurs where appropriate.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Dec 2 2009, 10:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 1 2009, 09:46 PM) *
Thanks Laszlo, funk is a bit of a weakness for me I think, though I love it so I have to keep trying smile.gif

Great JVM! I hope we'll meet on an other Collaboration! smile.gif

QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Dec 2 2009, 02:15 PM) *
Great takes guys!

Congrats to your first collab, Laszlo! smile.gif

Thanks Zsolt and thanks for your help! smile.gif

QUOTE (Toroso @ Dec 2 2009, 05:18 PM) *
I think this is a big problem for me. I also think that is why some have said my git is out of tune. I have a tendency to slur notes, partly because I like the way it sounds, partly because of sloppiness. huh.gif I need to work on stopping that and only apply slurs where appropriate.

I think this is a very important thing and if you pay attention for this, you'll see that your playing will be far clearer. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Dec 3 2009, 05:10 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Thanks for this collab and for your comments Laszlo! I'll have everything you said in mind smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:36 PM