2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Right Hand Speed
Nether
Aug 1 2013, 05:12 PM
GMC:er
Hi, i'm looking for tips and workouts to improve my right hand speed while playing chords.
I've been working on some songs lately and i've seen that i'm very far from the speed that i need to play them (I can play comfortably 16th notes at 80bpm, at 90bpm during 30 seconds and a couple of measures faster).

I'm left handed but I play a right handed guitar, so i've been always worried that I made a big mistake because i can't seem to improve my speed.

Right now what i'm doing is playing dead notes with a metronome and increasing the speed from time to time, but this is boring me to death.

How did you guys improved your right hand speed?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 1 2013, 05:34 PM
Do you want to play chords faster or do you want to play melody lines/solo faster? smile.gif

As I've told some people here, Metronome is like the teacher you never ever liked but that teacher made you a really good student nevertheless. You'll want to kill your metronome but if you stick to it, you will come back at it with a vengeance!

As suggested by many instructors and students here, and also by John Petrucci in his DVD Rock Discipline (definitely get your hands on that if you don't have it), you need to keep it slow to play clean and accurate but keep on pushing yourself.

For example, say I wanted to play a melody line that is written to be played at 160BPM triplets. I start out REALLY slow at 60 - 70 BPM and practice around 2 minutes on that. Then I increase the speed by 5-8 BPM and do the same thing again.

Now, if I see that my max speed is 120 BPM (the point where my hand starts to get tired really quickly), I rest for about 4-5 minutes, then start at 90BPM, increase it to 100, increase it to 110, then to 120, then I increase it to 140BPM suddenly.

Then I try to play it but I won't be able to. I try 5 times to play it but I fail. Then I go to 130BPM and its easier. Then I go to 120BPM and its MUCH easier and less tiring for my hand than before.

Of course, having a backing track helps if you have software like Transcribe!, it slows the music down to a tempo you want. That way you don't get as much bored.

I used the above mentioned technique to improve my left and right hand coordination. You can apply it to any hand smile.gif

This is the exercise I play every day to get my hands warmed up. Its based on the A Major scale:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------4-4-5-5-7-7--------|
B|---------------------------------------------------3-3-5-5-7-7--------------------|
G|---------------------------------------4-4-6-6-7-7--------------------------------|
D|---------------------------4-4-6-6-7-7--------------------------------------------|
A|---------------4-4-5-5-7-7--------------------------------------------------------|
E|--4-4-5-5-7-7---------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|10-10-9-9-7-7---------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------10-10-9-9-7-7-------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------9-9-7-7-6-6-------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------9-9-7-7-6-6-------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------9-9-7-7-5-5-------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------10-10-7-7-9-9-5-5-|

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 1 2013, 05:59 PM
Instructor
If You need some help for picking hand improvement try out some of my tips and lessons:

Picking hand mechanism:

There is also my lesson dedicated for constant speed improvement by smoothly increasing the speed:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/

Both are focused on this precise thing

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 1 2013, 07:40 PM
Hey, thank you both for your advices.
Darius your workout lesson is awesome, i've to work on them.
Do you have any advice into how to move the hand (the wrist and the elbow) and hold the pick while playing chords?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 1 2013, 08:01 PM
Instructor
With chords I usually use straight pick position - no agle . Also more wrist than the elbow. Wrist should be angled so You will have natural movement just like while drying the hands smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 2 2013, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Great advice from Darius and I am sure that if you follow his suggestions you will progress for certain! Working slow and developing muscle memory, evenness in picking and dynamics are crucial. Can you post a video or audio example of your current level?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2013, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 1 2013, 05:59 PM) *
Picking hand mechanism:

OMG Darius that was YOU ?

I chanced upon that video a long time ago and thought 'Man this guy's picking is INSANE !'

It actually encouraged me to try picking using just my thumb / finger/ wrist area but I just can't do that ! tongue.gif

Haha, what a cool surprise biggrin.gif

To add to the original thread topic, I would encourage you to spend a bit more time actually jamming riffs. I always make better progress when I play music, instead of concentrate on exercises.

You might find my approach to working on right hand stamina useful as well..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamin...-2-Downpicking/

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 2 2013, 04:21 PM
Can you post a video or audio example of your current level?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 2 2013, 05:13 PM) *

Yeah, i'm trying to exercise my hand playing songs better than doings scratches. I'll look your lessons too, let's see if with some work i can improve my right hand stamina cool.gif

Thank you all for your tips, i've a lot to work on now wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 2 2013, 04:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Aug 2 2013, 12:21 PM) *

Yeah, i'm trying to exercise my hand playing songs better than doings scratches. I'll look your lessons too, let's see if with some work i can improve my right hand stamina cool.gif

Thank you all for your tips, i've a lot to work on now wink.gif

Hi mate, thanks for the video. Everybody gave you here very good tips for improving your alternate picking for playing solos and riffs. In your video you are playing strumming... do you mean that you want to get better playing it? what songs for example are giving you problems?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 2 2013, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 2 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Hi mate, thanks for the video. Everybody gave you here very good tips for improving your alternate picking for playing solos and riffs. In your video you are playing strumming... do you mean that you want to get better playing it? what songs for example are giving you problems?

The song that i'm playing on the video, Serenade from the stars (you may know it as Llamando a la tierra of M-Clan) and Get Lucky from Daft Punk are both played at 120bpm, while at 90bpm I begin to have problems tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2013, 10:08 AM
Instructor
Hey man - I assume you would like to develop your strumming capabilities and if you mentioned the Daft Punk tune, I assume it should get funky - why not try these ones for size?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Old_Sc..._Rhythm_Guitar/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...6-funk-basics1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...funk-basics-II/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...unk-basics-III/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...funk-basics-IV/

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 3 2013, 12:24 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 1 2013, 06:59 PM) *
If You need some help for picking hand improvement try out some of my tips and lessons:

Picking hand mechanism:

There is also my lesson dedicated for constant speed improvement by smoothly increasing the speed:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/

Both are focused on this precise thing

This is one cool Black Metal type of picking biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 3 2013, 12:43 PM
Really cool video Darius smile.gif

I was very unfortunate about fast picking, for a long while I used my arm and though there were no problems on exercises I noticed it started to hurt if I play more than 2-3 fast tempo songs. The muscle on my arm simply needed a rest and this was terrible as I noticed this too late (probably already been playing for 3-4 years at the time).

I had to give a break to playing the guitar for maybe more than a year (for piano). It was sad but later turned out to be the best thing smile.gif

I re-started on picking after watching many Paul Gilbert video's that are from his later era (interesting to know he too had to change his technique), giving the power and control to my wrist. Still practicing but seems to work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 3 2013, 01:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 2 2013, 03:13 PM) *
OMG Darius that was YOU ?

I chanced upon that video a long time ago and thought 'Man this guy's picking is INSANE !'

It actually encouraged me to try picking using just my thumb / finger/ wrist area but I just can't do that ! tongue.gif

Haha, what a cool surprise biggrin.gif

To add to the original thread topic, I would encourage you to spend a bit more time actually jamming riffs. I always make better progress when I play music, instead of concentrate on exercises.

Ben...
It wasn't me...it was a Devil himself tongue.gif Nice to know You finally find out who is that guy ha ha ha ha! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 3 2013, 11:43 AM) *
Really cool video Darius smile.gif

I was very unfortunate about fast picking, for a long while I used my arm and though there were no problems on exercises I noticed it started to hurt if I play more than 2-3 fast tempo songs. The muscle on my arm simply needed a rest and this was terrible as I noticed this too late (probably already been playing for 3-4 years at the time).

I had to give a break to playing the guitar for maybe more than a year (for piano). It was sad but later turned out to be the best thing smile.gif

I re-started on picking after watching many Paul Gilbert video's that are from his later era (interesting to know he too had to change his technique), giving the power and control to my wrist. Still practicing but seems to work smile.gif

The method I'm showing is good itself but still need some good practice and warm up. I found I also have problems with precission and speed before the warm up. It about having the problem to keep constant balance between the tension and relax moments. Fingers movement is too soft to work as a standalone so the Wrist is needed too. The only problem is that even if You know the trick it's still good old "to much tension" when You try to play fast without a god warm up. It's probably the same problem since years and since the beginning perdio but later You just know what exactly is a problem and You're not searching for doing something bad anymore smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 3 2013, 01:56 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 3 2013, 11:08 AM) *

Hi Cosmin, thanks for your suggestions. Actually i'm using the book Funk Guitar by Ross Bolton, which is basically the same, except that here i have videos and slowed down backing tracks ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2013, 05:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Aug 3 2013, 09:56 AM) *
Hi Cosmin, thanks for your suggestions. Actually i'm using the book Funk Guitar by Ross Bolton, which is basically the same, except that here i have videos and slowed down backing tracks ph34r.gif

Go for those lessons that Cosmin suggested! These ones added to the exercises from the book will really help you. It's very important to practice using a backing track, a drum loop or metronome. That's why GMC lessons offer backings and metronome in the lessons. If that book doesn't include backings, create a drum loop or use your metronome.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 4 2013, 08:42 AM
Instructor
I've learned that book almost by heart - it is very, very good and I am happy to know that you are using it to learn. Frankly speaking, if you learn that one really well, alongside GMC funk oriented lessons, you will become very proficient in this style. Which is your favorite example out of Ross' book - can you record it and post it here?

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 4 2013, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 4 2013, 09:42 AM) *
I've learned that book almost by heart - it is very, very good and I am happy to know that you are using it to learn. Frankly speaking, if you learn that one really well, alongside GMC funk oriented lessons, you will become very proficient in this style. Which is your favorite example out of Ross' book - can you record it and post it here?

Hi Cosmin, this is Exercise 16 from the book

The tied note between beats was hard at first, i was forced to blend my mind, at first i loose the tempo when I had to do that.
Now i have to start with chapter 5 (if i have time, cause now i have a lot to do here in GMC tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 4 2013, 04:14 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - I know these - they are the tied note examples biggrin.gif Great drills! It doesn't sound bad at all - you just have some slight timing issues at some points - just a matter of practicing I guess. I have a challenge for you smile.gif Would you accept it and record yourself after being able to perform over the backing tracks found in this thread? Read about them and tell me what you think: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=557207

+Quote Post
Nether
Aug 4 2013, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 4 2013, 05:14 PM) *
Hey mate - I know these - they are the tied note examples biggrin.gif Great drills! It doesn't sound bad at all - you just have some slight timing issues at some points - just a matter of practicing I guess. I have a challenge for you smile.gif Would you accept it and record yourself after being able to perform over the backing tracks found in this thread? Read about them and tell me what you think: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=557207

Haha, this is a great exercise! I love it, and feels great when you manage to stay in tempo laugh.gif
I'll use this backing tracks to practice the exercises in the book, this way it will be much funnier than using just the metronome.

Thank you Cosmin!!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:14 AM