5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
The Dynamite Collab, Joint Students/Instructors Video Collab
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 23 2014, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gill @ Nov 22 2014, 07:53 PM) *
https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/colab-221114-2038/s-kRP5x

this is just a try out, never used icloud before, i did a quick recording over the beginners backing track
and i don't really know what's a collab so... biggrin.gif

test one two test

Hey mate! Welcome, welcome! Well, if you have read the introductory text in this thread and you posted this take already, you are in the boat biggrin.gif

Nice angry blues-rock lines here - if you decide to stay with this take, I think that you could polish it a bit more in terms of making the bends sound more precise and the vibrato as well - especially the beginning multi string one, which is a bit off.

The more you play it, the better it will get, record a video then, send us the video and the audio track (the one with your guitar track only) and an audio mix with the backing and solo and that's it wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 23 2014, 08:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Cosmin!

Two questions for ya:

1.) I've been tightening up the solo I put in my mentor thread. Is the solo too short - will it mess things up for you guys?

2.) I can only render my video files in .wmv - is there a program or something that is free that I can use to convert it to .mp4?

Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 24 2014, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 23 2014, 07:33 PM) *
Hey Cosmin!

Two questions for ya:

1.) I've been tightening up the solo I put in my mentor thread. Is the solo too short - will it mess things up for you guys?

2.) I can only render my video files in .wmv - is there a program or something that is free that I can use to convert it to .mp4?

Thanks!

Hey Chris!

It doesn't matter how long or short the solo is wink.gif It only matters that you participate and I am looking forward to hear the new version. I think that you can use this link here to convert the video: http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4 or in order to keep as much of the quality, you can talk to Gabi, as he is mixing the video and he can tell you if he can use the .wmv as it is wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rhida
Nov 24 2014, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey

So here's my take over the beginner's backing track.
Some licks need some polishing and I'm sure that you will help me greatly as usual!

Tried to do my best with some dynamite playing! (at my level of course wink.gif !)

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 24 2014, 09:45 PM
Learning Roadie
So I took my first rendition and tried to incorporate some G Minor mixed with the G Minor Pentatonic and this is what I came up with in the new version:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/dynamite-collab-second-rendition

Still needs some tidying up but I'm overall happy with it what do you guys think?

I challenged myself by throwing an itty-bitty sweep in there and some three note per string alternate picking at the end (both need some tightening up).

Thanks guys! cool.gif

EDIT:

For the final version I plan on taking the second half of the alternate picking run and harmonizing it (something else I am not familiar with - Cosmin is helping me with the harmonizing concept biggrin.gif )

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Nov 24 2014, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2014, 05:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rhida @ Nov 24 2014, 04:48 PM) *
Hey

Some licks need some polishing and I'm sure that you will help me greatly as usual!

Tried to do my best with some dynamite playing! (at my level of course wink.gif !)

Hi Rhida! I just commented this one at Gab's Army. Please check out the comments and question there to keep on working on this one. wink.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 24 2014, 05:45 PM) *
So I took my first rendition and tried to incorporate some G Minor mixed with the G Minor Pentatonic and this is what I came up with in the new version:

Still needs some tidying up but I'm overall happy with it what do you guys think?

I challenged myself by throwing an itty-bitty sweep in there and some three note per string alternate picking at the end (both need some tightening up).

Thanks guys! cool.gif

EDIT:

For the final version I plan on taking the second half of the alternate picking run and harmonizing it (something else I am not familiar with - Cosmin is helping me with the harmonizing concept biggrin.gif )

Hi Chris! Nice solo. I like the evolution of your composition. It sounds natural and keep my attention during the whole solo. The addition an harmonized guitar in the last part can really work. I would also focus a bit more on timing, vibrato and dynamics on this one to give in more feeling and "life". Try to add wider vibrato in some of the wider notes.

Thanks for joining this collab!!

For those that want some ideas to work on this collab, I recommend you to review my last Vchat session in which I gives tips to work over each of the backings:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/55621469
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/55622701

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 25 2014, 06:25 PM
Instructor
Hey Chris!

I think that your idea is very good and it fits the backing nicely smile.gif Let's try and focus on Gabi's suggestions, in respect to articulation and dynamics. At this point, the playing is a bit stale, in terms of expression - what can you do to change that?

See where the strong and longer notes are, if they can be vibrated, give that a try for the next stepand let's see the harmonizing idea, deal?

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 24 2014, 08:45 PM) *

Thanks guys! cool.gif

EDIT:

QUOTE (Rhida @ Nov 24 2014, 07:48 PM) *
Hey

Hey mate smile.gif I see you started in a ZZ Top fashion biggrin.gif Good going here! I like the repetitive idea that keeps building up until the more speedy part begins. I would try to find a rather different approach there - maybe slip in something more melodic, focusing on vibrato rahter then speed picking, as the tempo is pretty high and it could prove a bit too challenging for this point? What do you think?

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 26 2014, 08:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys!

My third revision:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/dynamite-collab-third-rendition

I tried to make it a little more expressive and less stale by taking out the sweep and adding some extra flare (pinched harmonics and a semitone bend) and I also added a little whammy at the end (I think it would transition well into someone else's solo).

Overall, I am happy with it other than the speed picking which still has some timing issues that I am going to focus on to have fixed by the deadline.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 27 2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor
Hey Chris - this sounds indeed better and with more intention behnd it.

I would focus on timing a bit as an overall aspect, but especially around 0:05 you should focus on that part and play it more in synch with the backing. Also, the alternate picking part should be taken out of the context, practiced separately at a slow tempo so that you can play it as relaxed and articulated as possible and then, re-implemented when it's ready wink.gif Keep it up matey - you are on the good path!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 27 2014, 02:41 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris! This new take sounds clearer, the notes are defined and you managed good dynamics. However, as Cosmin said, it has timing issues, I think that in most of the licks so you should keep on practicing it. This usually happens when we focus on a new thing and stop thinking on timing. It's tricky to think on many aspects at the same time but practice makes everything more natural and we finally feel timing instead of thinking on it. Using your foot or head to follow the pulse will help to feel it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gill
Nov 27 2014, 04:03 PM
GMC:er
here is another try, i don't know if it's any better than the first one.
https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/colab

what do you thing guys?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gill @ Nov 27 2014, 03:03 PM) *
here is another try, i don't know if it's any better than the first one.
https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/colab

what do you thing guys?

Hey Chris - I think the guitar was a bit too loud in respect to the backing - it is an important aspect to keep balanced levels in the mix, as it also helps us in pointing out some timing issues or more doubtful note choices for instance, which otherwise would be harder to spot.

Anyway, the two things which I could put my finger on, would be the vibrato around 0:02 which could and should be wider and more accentuatued and the slight timing issue around 0:14 - of course, playing it more to give it a more polished sound and interpret it more could be a great thing to do wink.gif Let's see the next improved take!

+Quote Post
kiendop
Nov 28 2014, 11:10 AM
He collab friends,
Here is my second attempt. Tryed to expand on my 4 note solo, but Im not so sure that worked out well. After 2 days trying to record it this is the best one and Im not very happy with it, timing and bends are a bit off. Maybe I made it to difficult for myself mad.gif.
Let me know what you all think and how to improve it smile.gif .

Janneke

Attached File(s)
Attached File  141128_Dynamite004.mp3 ( 342.89K ) Number of downloads: 93

+Quote Post
Huargo
Nov 28 2014, 09:45 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 28 2014, 11:10 AM) *
He collab friends,
Here is my second attempt. Tryed to expand on my 4 note solo, but Im not so sure that worked out well. After 2 days trying to record it this is the best one and Im not very happy with it, timing and bends are a bit off. Maybe I made it to difficult for myself mad.gif.

Janneke

Hi nice one!
i don't know why but it reminds me a solo made by Robby Krieger, the doors guitarist smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 29 2014, 07:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 28 2014, 10:10 AM) *
He collab friends,

Janneke

Hello Janneke!

The idea itself is good, but I would suggest you to work on the vibrato in the first place and on the note length - some of the notes are cut short and they get that bluesy kind of vibe which is in too much of a big contrast with the backing. See minutes 0:04, 0:07 or 0:10.

I would make the notes breathe and let them ring longer and I would also focus on the pitch of the bends you are executing - make them sound as close to the intended note as possible. See which note you are trying to reach and isolate the bends, work on them until they reach that pitch and then place the bends back into the context - remember the movie I sent about bending and vibrato? Why not make sure you are using the principles we have discussed about and that are shown in it, regarding the wrist and thumb anchoring smile.gif Looking forward to your next take!

+Quote Post
kiendop
Nov 29 2014, 11:49 AM
QUOTE (huargo @ Nov 28 2014, 09:45 PM) *
Hi nice one!
i don't know why but it reminds me a solo made by Robby Krieger, the doors guitarist smile.gif

Thanks biggrin.gif, well I did listen a lot to the doors +20 years ago

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 29 2014, 07:45 AM) *
Hello Janneke!

The idea itself is good, but I would suggest you to work on the vibrato in the first place and on the note length - some of the notes are cut short and they get that bluesy kind of vibe which is in too much of a big contrast with the backing. See minutes 0:04, 0:07 or 0:10.

I would make the notes breathe and let them ring longer and I would also focus on the pitch of the bends you are executing - make them sound as close to the intended note as possible. See which note you are trying to reach and isolate the bends, work on them until they reach that pitch and then place the bends back into the context - remember the movie I sent about bending and vibrato? Why not make sure you are using the principles we have discussed about and that are shown in it, regarding the wrist and thumb anchoring smile.gif Looking forward to your next take!

Thanks Cosmin, now I have some lines I can really practice this thing and work on bends and vibrato smile.gif and break some more strings ohmy.gif. So, of to the shop first.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 29 2014, 11:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (huargo @ Nov 22 2014, 09:47 AM) *
can you take a look and comment? please smile.gif

Hey buddy - somehow I missed this one, but hey! if you play the stuff you have written in there with the proper timing, articulation and expression, you will DEFINITELY 100% have a great take! Let's hear it played on the guitar! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Huargo
Nov 29 2014, 03:55 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 29 2014, 11:52 AM) *
Hey buddy - somehow I missed this one, but hey! if you play the stuff you have written in there with the proper timing, articulation and expression, you will DEFINITELY 100% have a great take! Let's hear it played on the guitar! biggrin.gif

Thanks Cosmin! not shure can play it at full speed.. but anyway still working. I'll keep you informed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 29 2014, 04:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'll give it a go smile.gif
although.......... the backing track fairly speeds along for us wannabe shredders ph34r.gif it would be cool to push the deadline slightly to the monday rather than the friday, I'll need at least a full week to try and get what Im playing up to tempo, and then the weekend to try and record it.
either way though, I'll give it a go cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 29 2014, 07:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 29 2014, 12:22 PM) *
I'll give it a go smile.gif
although.......... the backing track fairly speeds along for us wannabe shredders ph34r.gif it would be cool to push the deadline slightly to the monday rather than the friday, I'll need at least a full week to try and get what Im playing up to tempo, and then the weekend to try and record it.
either way though, I'll give it a go cool.gif

Hi Bleez! Unfortunately we can't extend too much this collab since I need to work on mix and edition starting on Monday. We need everything on 5th or maybe 6th in the night. I'll go on vacation the following weekend and I want this collab finished before I go!

We have all this next week to work on this one. Please post your ideas here or at gab's army and we will help you with feedback and comments!

I would love to see lots of GMCers joining this one so don't be shy and share your takes. Remember that you can even record shorter ideas, maybe a chord, a phrase, a melody, whatever you feel that can add some of you to the final mix and video is welcome!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:31 PM