2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Axe-fx Ii, Pod Hd 500, Eleven Rack, Looking for a good effects, modeling device, for fun.
Dave Sterling
May 19 2011, 07:28 AM
GMC:er
I'm considering getting the new AXE-FX II that is to be released this month, I had ordered the new POD HD500 Bean, but canceled the order to wait on the FX II, I'm wondering what people here at GMC think of the devices.

I'm wondering if its worth spending the extra for the AXE-FX II as compared to the POD HD500, the price for the AXE II is more then 4 times that of the POD HD500 Bean?

I've only been playing for a few months and I'm not anywhere near a professional, but I used to have the POD X3 and I enjoyed messing around with all the settings and decided to sell it knowing that the POD HD500 Bean is coming out in a couple of days. I've seen a lot of good comments online about the AXE-FX and I'm seriously considering getting one.

All comments are welcome.

Thank you,
DSterling

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 19 2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
AXE FX II ALL THE WAY!!!! No digital processors can really compete in front of it. I am planning to get one too in August. smile.gif I have been waiting for it so long. Its expensive but well worth the investment. I have been fed up of digital sounds since last 1.5 years and don't use one but this thing is all I need now. Too much cables on my tubey setup right now. sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 19 2011, 08:07 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2011, 10:43 AM
Instructor
Many believe that AxeFX is revolutionary device. It turned lots of pros towards digital modelling.

AxeFX II is simply upgraded device from AxeFX, it has USB option, it's more suitable for home and studio, convolution samples are twice the size on the cabinets, and it has double processing power. Doubling the processing power means device will behave more quickly. There are some new parameters integrated on some of the effects too. However, I don't think the difference between AxeFX II Ultra and AxeFX Ultra are that great, so any of these would do the job for you.

Be aware that you will need MIDI foot controller if you want to use it live. For home use, you can get rack only. If you have a budget, I would definitely suggest AxeFX II Ultra, or even AxeFX Ultra.

If you have the money for the AxeFX II device, then get it. There is no point in getting HD500, when AxeFX is available for you. If you are concerned about the money spent, there are lots of low cost options that will do fine work for you in the next year or so.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 19 2011, 11:22 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would say - if you can afford it : DO IT! smile.gif

AxeFX II and even original one are amazing devices! They just can't compare to any other similar device especially ones from Line6.
I always thought that it doesn't matter if you are beginner or pro in terms of getting the quality and expensive gear. Quality gear can only make your sound better and it will be much more satisfying to practice the instrument.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 20 2011, 03:23 PM
Instructor
I was actually going to post the same question. It seems the Axe FX is quite good. I hope I can get my hands on one soon.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 20 2011, 06:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
first of all , I want the axe fx, but i've been playing a long time, as the others who have expressed their desire as well.
That being said, I think you should wait till you know that you will be continuing with the guitar.
unless you just have money to burn , in which case, you can just send me the Axe Fx laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Sterling
May 22 2011, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 20 2011, 06:01 PM) *
first of all , I want the axe fx, but i've been playing a long time, as the others who have expressed their desire as well.
That being said, I think you should wait till you know that you will be continuing with the guitar.
unless you just have money to burn , in which case, you can just send me the Axe Fx laugh.gif

I canceled my order for the POD HD Bean, I think I would like it, but I would wish that I have waited for the AXE-FX II, so that is what I'm going to do. I don't have money to burn, but I do OK and even though I haven't been playing long, I love to play. Taking lessons here at GMC, every lesson is like learning a video game, I have a great time and with the AXE-FX II I'll enjoy all the settings.

Still not 100% sure about the AXE-FX II, but almost. If I heard more good things about the POD HD in comparison with the AXE-FX I may change my mind, but even when I listen to the youtube examples the AXE-FX sounds better.

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 22 2011, 02:33 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
hehe.. Axe Fx is much much better. Even tubers have left the tube world for axe fx. PODs can't really be compared. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 22 2011, 03:29 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Check out this thread from the Petrucci forum...

Link.

It's got a youtube link with an apples comparison between the two. You might be surprised.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 22 2011, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Don't worry Dave, if you have the money, get AxeFX, it's the best device you can get. POD HD won't match, specially for overdriven tones and reverbs.

It's true that experienced player can get the most out of any piece of gear, and in the end it's about what you play and how you play it, not so much through what you play it.

However, most experienced players would choose AxeFX over POD HD biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 22 2011, 09:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Sterling
May 31 2011, 04:32 AM
I'm almost 85% certain about getting the AXE-FX II, but it seems there is another delay in shipping and it may be another 2 months or more till they ship (maybe earlier) so for now I'm going with the POD HD Bean (desktop) which is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I will likely get rid of it when the AXE-FX II starts shipping, but if I find I really like the POD HD then I'll keep it.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 31 2011, 02:54 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Let us know how you like the pod bean wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2011, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Let us know how the POD sounds and behaves! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Sterling
Jun 2 2011, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 31 2011, 10:11 PM) *
Let us know how the POD sounds and behaves! smile.gif

Just received the POD HD Desktop yesterday and I'm checking it out to see if I'll keep it. Preorders for the AXE-FX II are being taken now, but I'll hold off until I get better with the POD. I also found out about another device called a Kemper Profiling Amplifier, I googled it and it may compete with the AXE-FX II, its a different type of modeling device. The Kemper is supposed to be released the middle of this year.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 2 2011, 09:41 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Also maybe the H&K ZenTera here not easy to find but worth a look if you can Dave.

If I remember rightly Allan Holdsworth has/had one and used it quite a bit a while back - given how much he´s in to tone any use by him seems like a major endorsement.

That´s all assuming you want some sort of amp modelling/emulation. If it´s digital effects etc rather than modelling then the pro end rack effects from Eventide, Lexicon and Yamaha are also worth looking at.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 2 2011, 08:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dave Sterling @ Jun 2 2011, 07:15 AM) *
Just received the POD HD Desktop yesterday and I'm checking it out to see if I'll keep it. Preorders for the AXE-FX II are being taken now, but I'll hold off until I get better with the POD. I also found out about another device called a Kemper Profiling Amplifier, I googled it and it may compete with the AXE-FX II, its a different type of modeling device. The Kemper is supposed to be released the middle of this year.

Kemper Profiling Amp is one of the new cool concepts, but I wouldn't invest in it, it's still a concept. Axe-FX is being used by pros already, and it's certified. Kemper one is a bit complicated, interface is not friendly, there is lag, there are no save/load options for profiles etc..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Sterling
Jun 22 2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments, they were very helpful and appreciated. GMC is by far my favorite place for all things guitar.

I returned the POD HD, its a nice device and I can see why so many people like it and to each their own opinion. I thought (with my limited trained ear) that it sounded somewhat digital and just not there for me, if that makes sense.

Great news! I was able to order a AXE-FX II today and can't wait till it arrives, hopefully late this week. It's expensive so I plan to sell my motorcycle to pay for it, I didn't use it much anyway. I'll miss it, but guitar is more fun.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 22 2011, 11:17 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Wow, you played for a few months and already aim at pro grear.
The sounds I've dialed in on my POD X3 doesn't sound digital. Not full out tube, sure, but digital?

Have you considered that you need professional headphones and professional sound monitors to make the AxeFx2 justice? Even a high quality guitar cord so you won't ruin the signal to get the most out of it. I guess the motorbike will cover for it. Chosing between a MC and guitar gear is a no brainer, though amps can kill a person one has to admit MC's are way more deadly.

All the luck with the AxeFx2 smile.gif

P.S can't recall his nick but some guy on youtube made some serious recordings with the Axe

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2011, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Yes, Micke is right my friend, you should invest in decent monitors (if you haven't already) to do AxeFX justice, my recommendation as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Jun 22 2011, 03:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have the Eleven Rack. I run it through a JBL 400 watt P.A. and also through a set of M-Audio Desk Monitors. I have had many tube amps and I like the Eleven Rack just as much especially with the new presets they just came out with and the Speaker break up function. The thing that really makes the Eleven Rack nice is the built in Pro Tools that is designed for a guitar player. You can loop a section of a track and then record your solo and every time it loops back again it records a whole new track. So you can sit and play over your rhythm track 20 times creating a new track every time it loops without ever having to stop and hit record again. So when you are done you have 20 tracks to choose from. Also the eleven rack has true Z at the input. So it is like a real amp when you turn down the volume on your guitar the sound will clean up like a real amp does. Anyway thats just a couple of the great things about the Eleven Rack. The Axe FX is a great rig and is probably better in some ways but for $850.00 plus pro tools and all the great features designed into it for a guitar player I had to go with the Eleven Rack.

Oh ya I did not even mention the incredible re amp feature. It will always record a dry track for you and then you can re amp it in pro tools with the touch of a button. So you can go back through every preset. Amp Cabinet, Mic setup whatever and just keep re playing it and without re recording. The list goes on and on. Anyway you might want to check it out.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:34 AM