Swapping Between Guitars ?
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 10:31 AM
Instructor
Hey everyone... you often see well known guitarists use different guitars on stage. (like a Les Paul and then a Strat) As we all know, guitars feel incredibly different from one another.. bigger necks, different weight etc.. yet these famous players seem to manage well with going from one type of guitar to another without it affecting their performance..

How about you ? Can you switch between different types of guitar and still be able to play well ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 8 2011, 11:16 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
a yes and no answer from me, for me personally it all comes down to the action of the strings more than anything, I have several different guitars that have different neck widths and thickness`s but I have set up their actions so they physically play very similar but sound different

if I pick up a guitar that has an action too low or too high for my liking then I find it virtually impossible to play normally.

smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 12:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 8 2011, 11:16 AM) *
a yes and no answer from me, for me personally it all comes down to the action of the strings more than anything, I have several different guitars that have different neck widths and thickness`s but I have set up their actions so they physically play very similar but sound different

if I pick up a guitar that has an action too low or too high for my liking then I find it virtually impossible to play normally.

smile.gif

Yeah I'm with you on that... especially if it's a low action. If it's really low I can't bend strings properly ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 8 2011, 12:12 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Depends I guess. I play regularly on an Ibanez 6 String, Dean 7 String, and another custom 6 string. All with different tunings, string gauges, and all that. The biggest factor when switching between for me is the neck - I can deal with different actions, but if the neck doesn't feel a certain way then my hand is just unable to move it seems.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2011, 12:50 PM
Instructor
I got used with heavy string gauges in the last 2 years so this factor is no longer an impediment for me. The thing which would indeed make me lose it a little, would be the tonal response. For instance the PRS Paul Allender is a very 'dry tone' guitar while the PRS Custom 24 is a real screamer so, if you are not accustomed to their characteristics - you usually end up getting scared just thinking that the moment when you have to solo is on its way an your tone is as dry as a dessert smile.gif

Otherwise, the shift between anything and a Les Paul (especially the ones with thicker necks) is an experience indeed. I wasn't able to play properly on a Les Paul although I love that tone! One of my band mates in Aria, played Dream Theater's ''Dance of Eternity'' on a Les Paul without having any trouble whatsoever, for instance biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 8 2011, 02:59 PM
GMC:er
For me the scale length of the guitar also makes a difference. I play 25 1/2 scale strats. When I play a shorter scale guitar like an SG or a PRS I notice that I have to adjust my bends a bit. It also messes up my vibrato a little. I can adjust but prefer not to.

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Jul 8 2011, 03:27 PM
Learning Roadie
I just picked up a 2nd guitar and I am learning to seamlessly switch between the two. One is a Strat with heavy strings, and the other is a telecaster with thin strings. The only problem so far is bends. I have to adjust to the strength required for both guitars. It's nice having different guitars for different sounds though.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Cool, well it seems like most of our preferences and conditioning are related to the neck and action of the strings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 8 2011, 04:06 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
My second guitar is in my friends house so I never swap guitars:P But it is damn hard to play the Ibanez I lend to my friend, it has higher action and is heavier than my Schecter. This lead to many "hell I suck" situations, when I picked my old guitar to show last things I learned, and could not play the stuff properly:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 8 2011, 05:12 PM
Learning Roadie
I guess if switching guitars have bothered my playing I have not been aware of it. I just switch to which guitar I want.
Play lead guitar: Ibanez RG with 10s.
Play Metal: Ibanez Gio with 12s.
Play Jaw-dropping heavy metal: Jackson SLSMG with 14s.

My fingers have become very strong lately. I actually worked by way up through the string thicknesses as I tuned lower and lower. Thus, my fingers can adapt better. I don't know. I guess I would notice if I played live and switched often. However, all of my guitars are soloist guitars. That is probably why I don't see any difference! laugh.gif Perhaps if I had a Les Paul as well, it would be different.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2011, 05:45 PM
Instructor
I'm not at my 100% when I swap from Les Paul to Stratocaster instantly but I can adapt to different guitars after a while. If I'm playing live and I practiced the songs on each guitar I won't have any problem. However the feel is VERY different.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 8 2011, 07:24 PM
Not familiar with the topic yet but i'm about to buy and smoggle a second guitar into my workplace :-) ( where i do nothing 75% of the time )...
Imagine what this would do with the huge amount of practice time ...it would be tripled !!!! :-)))

Wish me luck ...on the other hand ..if my boss finds out i could have full time practice time @home...:-))

Serious ....switching strats and LP style guitars is a bit tricky for me ...even the right hand position( bridge ) feels very different.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 08:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Jul 8 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Not familiar with the topic yet but i'm about to buy and smoggle a second guitar into my workplace :-) ( where i do nothing 75% of the time )...
Imagine what this would do with the huge amount of practice time ...it would be tripled !!!! :-)))

Wish me luck ...on the other hand ..if my boss finds out i could have full time practice time @home...:-))

Serious ....switching strats and LP style guitars is a bit tricky for me ...even the right hand position( bridge ) feels very different.

Haha, wow man, that's dangerous territory ! laugh.gif What is your job ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 8 2011, 08:17 PM
I "work" in a chemical plant ...doing nightshifts as i speak. Maybe ought to consider
one of those travelguitars .. tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 08:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Jul 8 2011, 08:17 PM) *
I "work" in a chemical plant ...doing nightshifts as i speak. Maybe ought to consider
one of those travelguitars .. tongue.gif tongue.gif

Haha, that's so rock n roll ! I can just see you sneaking round a chemical plant at night with a Flying V round your waist !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 8 2011, 09:34 PM
Rock n roll indeed ..we even play heavy metal in our control rooms ..

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2011, 09:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Jul 8 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Rock n roll indeed ..we even play heavy metal in our control rooms ..

Something like 'Chemical Warfare' by Slayer perhaps ? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 9 2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor
I'm quite used to switching guitars, no problem here. Just turn a few knobs on the amp to adjust, and on guitar too, and very similar tone. Doing a small setup on all guitars I play before the gig is recommended, so they feel similar..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:05 AM