Pick Suggestion
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 18 2011, 05:56 AM
GMC:er
lately i can't play with JAZZ III at all, it start to get sloppy, don't even know how to explain this unsure.gif ...

you guys know any kind of cool pick, to shred and riffing??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 18 2011, 06:01 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 18 2011, 07:09 AM
The Wizard of Shred uses a bronze DR
http://www.drguitarpicks.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/wizardofshred#p/u/12/hvLhZ_JgEaE
These are relatively inexpensive and do not wear down but they will wear down your strings.

The Red Bear Big Jazzer is used by Guthrie Govan
http://www.redbeartrading.com/

These are expensive and wear down.

I use a Blue Chip Jazz LG 65
http://shop.bluechippick.net/

These are very expensive but never wear down.

All of these picks are similar in shape to a Jazz 3

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2011, 08:25 AM
Instructor
Pick is something personal, everyone will prefer different tone and feel from a pick. The way I choose new pick is go into the store, pick 10-15 picks that are close to my preference, try them all, and choose 4-5 to carry home. After a while I choose one smile.gif Currently I use Dunlop Purple ones, but Pickboy CarbonNylon have been my all time favorite, precise and awesome tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor
I am currently using the Big Stubby from Dunlop they are 3.00 mm really heavy picks. I am waiting for the Steve Clayton picks I ordered so that i can see how they feel. i think though that, the 3.00 is a bit too thick - the clean tone stuff sounds without too much sustain I guess, so I'll experiment with a 2.00 to see if there's any difference.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2011, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 18 2011, 08:25 AM) *
Pick is something personal, everyone will prefer different tone and feel from a pick.

Ty all, and i am 100% with you, i just wanna some references, so i wouldn't blindly looking for picks

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2011, 06:35 PM
Instructor
I'm using this one:

Attached Image

but my favorite is this one: (it's difficult to find in Argentina)

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 19 2011, 06:47 PM
Instructor
this is the first and last pick i will use smile.gif:

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 19 2011, 06:52 PM
Why blame the pick on sloppy playing?

The Jazz III XL is a sweet as pick to use, I also use the Dunlop USA Sharp 1.14mm (my new favorite) for shredding.

However, check the position and rotate of how your picking. Ensure your just using the tip, not angled up or down but rotated forward for the best attack. Most of all make sure the pick is not moving position in the hand at speed (this is a sign your digging your pick in too much or inncorectly picking). You should keep a firm grip but be quite relaxed using short wrist motions. Only the picking hand thumb locks straight (rather than flexes) at speed for more accuracy, speed and control (note this also sounds more mechinacal so change back to flex when playing slower with emotion).

Maybe one of your hands has developed more speed and you need to sync both your hands together again, it happens, your'll be a bit sloppy for a while, but it's a good thing as your breaking out of your speed block. Just don't let yourself stay playing sloppy! Play sloppy, stay a sloppy player, slow down if you must and get it under complete control again!

Your nerves can also get the best of you, making your hand lock up, sloppy, or play slower. Simply shake it out and ensure your playing relaxed at all times. Play some simple warmup practices to get the hand under control and never play cold.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 19 2011, 06:58 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 19 2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 19 2011, 07:35 PM) *
I'm using this one:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Yes, these are great Gab, I use this pick (or the pink, thinner one)

The second one has that powdery feel to it, it's also nice, has a more natural tone. Plastic ones are cool, but there is a difference..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 19 2011, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 19 2011, 06:52 PM) *
Why blame the pick on sloppy playing?

The Jazz III XL is a sweet as pick to use, I also use the Dunlop USA Sharp 1.14mm (my new favorite) for shredding.

However, check the position and rotate of how your picking. Ensure your just using the tip, not angled up or down but rotated forward for the best attack. Most of all make sure the pick is not moving position in the hand at speed (this is a sign your digging your pick in too much or inncorectly picking). You should keep a firm grip but be quite relaxed using short wrist motions. Only the picking hand thumb locks straight (rather than flexes) at speed for more accuracy, speed and control (note this also sounds more mechinacal so change back to flex when playing slower with emotion).

Maybe one of your hands has developed more speed and you need to sync both your hands together again, it happens, your'll be a bit sloppy for a while, but it's a good thing as your breaking out of your speed block. Just don't let yourself stay playing sloppy! Play sloppy, stay a sloppy player, slow down if you must and get it under complete control again!

Your nerves can also get the best of you, making your hand lock up, sloppy, or play slower. Simply shake it out and ensure your playing relaxed at all times. Play some simple warmup practices to get the hand under control and never play cold.

Ty Azz, i will look on that also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 19 2011, 11:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 19 2011, 06:35 PM) *
I'm using this one:

Attached Image

this one for me in a 2.0,and they sharpen on carpet very well

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 20 2011, 06:39 AM
I think Yngwie's custom pick is a copy of that purple Dunlop.

I used those at one point. If you like that or the Jazz 3

DO NOT try the BlueChips because the BlueChip picks are about a thousand times better but expensive as hell.

Anyway, they do last forever but I'm paranoid about losing mine.

The BlueChips make those other picks feel like toys.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2011, 12:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 19 2011, 07:10 PM) *
Yes, these are great Gab, I use this pick (or the pink, thinner one)

The second one has that powdery feel to it, it's also nice, has a more natural tone. Plastic ones are cool, but there is a difference..

I usually love the powdery feel (my hands sweat like there's no tomorrow) so it helps a lot!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 20 2011, 04:11 PM
Instructor
An individual thing. I use 1mm picks, although not a problem to play with thicker .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 20 2011, 05:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've been using the 1.14mm Jim Dunlop Max-Grip Nylon Standard. I file down the tips with a metal file, which is a trick I learned from Todd Simpson. They're great because they don't wear out - so much so that they're kinda difficult to file - and the grippy surface really helps a greasy bastard like myself maintain a proper grip on it. There are better sounding picks out there, but as far as performance and comfort it concerned, it works best for me.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 21 2011, 08:01 PM
V-Pick, either Screamer, Pointed Diamond or Pointed Snake. The last two are similar, and they cost $10. Screamers are cheaper. I am not sure which I will end up preferring, probably the expensive ones. You can get a sharper attack with the screamer, but the Pointed Diamond and Snake are smoother, and you can get a sharp attack with them as well. These picks force you to play with a relaxed hand and wrist, to really get the most out of them.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 21 2011, 08:50 PM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 22 2011, 03:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 20 2011, 11:52 AM) *
I've been using the 1.14mm Jim Dunlop Max-Grip Nylon Standard. I file down the tips with a metal file, which is a trick I learned from Todd Simpson. They're great because they don't wear out - so much so that they're kinda difficult to file - and the grippy surface really helps a greasy bastard like myself maintain a proper grip on it. There are better sounding picks out there, but as far as performance and comfort it concerned, it works best for me.

These looks great, checking them out smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:24 AM