Latency Problems With Webcams
nikeman64
Jul 19 2011, 10:26 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I recently bought a new webcam Logitech. It's way easier to record then before with my DV handrecorder. I really got irritated by hooking things up, winding the tape back and forward; pushing knobs, checking if my guitar was on screen in stead of my feet or the ceiling, etc etc. With the webcam I can see exactly what I'm doing.
But as I record myself with the webcam and simultaneously record a take in Sonar, I experience latency problems when I combine them afterwords in the Sony Vegas application. Obviously the calculation for the video take, leads to a certain delay. For 30 second songs it's OK but any longer and it will look as if I'm playing a Chinese folksong instead of Megadeth, or so... laugh.gif
Anybody who knows a solution for this, please reply. My PC has 2 GB RAM and a quad core processor, so that should be enough, I think. I was thinking of cutting the videotake every now and then to try synchronising it more or less with the audio but that would show some artifacts,.... not so cool.

Thanks, Nico wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 19 2011, 05:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player

If you have a lot of stuff on your computer it can cause that latency. Try turning off all non-essential software before recording a take. Thats the best advice I can give, what ever its worth blink.gif Hopefully someone thats more computer savvy can chime in.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Jul 19 2011, 05:16 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 19 2011, 05:38 PM
Instructor
Check the audio bitrate in Sonar, 44 or 48 Hz? The same must also be in Vegas !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 19 2011, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Like Sinisa said, check the bitrate of the audio in both projects, or capturing application. For video editing purposes 48KHz is standard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 19 2011, 11:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Jul 19 2011, 10:26 AM) *
Hey guys,

I recently bought a new webcam Logitech. It's way easier to record then before with my DV handrecorder. I really got irritated by hooking things up, winding the tape back and forward; pushing knobs, checking if my guitar was on screen in stead of my feet or the ceiling, etc etc. With the webcam I can see exactly what I'm doing.
But as I record myself with the webcam and simultaneously record a take in Sonar, I experience latency problems when I combine them afterwords in the Sony Vegas application. Obviously the calculation for the video take, leads to a certain delay. For 30 second songs it's OK but any longer and it will look as if I'm playing a Chinese folksong instead of Megadeth, or so... laugh.gif
Anybody who knows a solution for this, please reply. My PC has 2 GB RAM and a quad core processor, so that should be enough, I think. I was thinking of cutting the videotake every now and then to try synchronising it more or less with the audio but that would show some artifacts,.... not so cool.

Thanks, Nico wink.gif

you mean you ware palying megadeath
just kidin,I've enjoyed your takes

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 20 2011, 12:22 AM
Instructor
try dropping the frames on your video application if nothing else works, thats going to bring the latency down smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 20 2011, 02:33 PM
Instructor
No need for dropping the frames, just convert audio track into whatever samplerate is in the video project.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Jul 20 2011, 06:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks guys,

Having the same bitrate in sonar (audio take ), Logitech (videoshoot) and sony (assembling both) really makes sence. I'll check it out with my next REC take and post the result here.

Thanks again !!!!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 20 2011, 07:27 PM
Instructor
let us know if that works smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:58 AM