Pedals Vs Effects Units, Trying to figure a way to go
Michael AC
Jul 23 2011, 05:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
From reading some other threads I wanted to get more opinions from you all on the setup I am using. I have used various effects units but most of my friends use pedals. I have a Line 6 Bogner Spider Valve 112 Unit. Since I changed my pickups to higher end Seymour Duncan humbuckers I get frustrated knowing how to dial the amp in. (actually this is a weak spot knowledge wise for me anyways)

Many of you use various pedals, but I need direction on if I started running pedals how would that work with this amp? I like the effects it has but the distortion and mix with bass mid and treb always perplexes me. Or is there a way to better use it that I just have not figured out?

What is the trick to dialing in this amp or using pedals with a combo unit.

Thanks all!

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 23 2011, 05:36 PM
I don't think it would be cost efficient to get extra pedals to use with that amp. That amp is pretty much a stand alone unit, hence the lack of an effects loop. I suggest you just fiddle with the amp until you get your desired result. So what exactly are you trying to achieve? Maybe we can help you figure it out biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 23 2011, 05:37 PM
Instructor
exactly, tell us what you want to do, and what models/effects does you amp has smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Jul 23 2011, 07:01 PM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jul 23 2011, 12:37 PM) *
exactly, tell us what you want to do, and what models/effects does you amp has smile.gif

The overall tone...I have it somewhat close, but it just seems to lack the low end punch and is a little muddy. I have played with the mids and tried different settings with the different amps.

Trying to get a sound somewhat like Gabriel has on some of his songs. I like that type of distortion.

The muddy is not as bad since I got the new pickups, it just does not have that thick sound like an 80's /90's medal blend.

When I do leads I have been backing the distortion off, but then I loose some of the sustain, so that is another area.

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2011, 07:36 PM
Instructor
hey Michael! I've never used that amp but be sure that you'll get a better distortion with your amp than if you use a pedal. You have to experiment with it until you get a good distortion. In my lessons I usually use my pod X3 emulating a Mesa Boogie amp, and most of the times I add a tube screamer emulator too.. in some lessons I used a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier... that would be the real thing.

I'm checking a review of your amp HERE and I'm sure that you don't need any pedal at the moment. It seems to be a cool amp!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 23 2011, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
This is depends on what style you want to play, if your got one strong style like "I want to play heavy metal and don't care for blues" then buying pedals would honestly be your best shot. You can get some killer sounding pedals, but their range is normally very narrow. When you think about it ... quantity vs quality, I know I would always go quality!

However if you do like a range of tones and quite picky or like to tweak the Line 6 series is an awesome effects collection! It's what I use and can play blues, rock, jazz, metal, even bass on my guitar, and lots more. The older series I would say does sound digital thou and the original tones are mostly blah useless... a lot of tweaking is required.

I had the PodXT and the best boost for that was purchasing the unlock code for the Metal Pack (better hi-gain) and other Packs. They where actually already there in the hardware, however you need an expensive code to unlock them. The difference is huge, the Metal one is well worth it (I got the 3 pack myself). Then tweak then and find good custom tones depending on your amp/guitar/pickups. There's thousands at your fingertips, but a few hundred or less which will sound really amazing for you. Still a lot cheaper than buying a few hundred pedals!

I loved that for a while, but wanted to go tube for more feeling in my playing and also hi-gain tones for metal where limited.

I found the killer combo by far. I would even compare this to the axefx and say it's worth ever cent for quality.

I purchased the PodHD 500, they actually cut down on the number of effects and recreated the entire thing again. It's nothing like the previous series. Less but more high definition amps and tones, no more digital sounding but tube sounding. Again the original tones have a lot of effects, sound cool but useless to jam with, you need to hunt around and replace with more useable tones. Metal and hi-gain tones being the hardest to find...

When I saved up enough I purchased the DT50 2x12 Amp to go with it, expensive but a digital/tube amp which automatically syncs with the PodHD series and woah what a difference! It's got like 4 quality amps in one just playing it with the guitar pluged straight into it (American Clean, Britsh Crunch, Chime, and my favourite Modern Hi-Gain). Add one Line6 Cable to connect your PodHD and suddenly you have a huge range of tones at your fingertips. Select a tone on the Pod and it updates the Amp for the best settings and sounds amazing!

I can't say I would purchase a Mesa Boogie amp and jam around on that, you know how loud those things get! Like Gabriel said to be able to emulate it and then play it at lower volumes without the lost of quality is something quite amazing!

So to sum it up, I believe...
PodHD + DT50 = the best Line 6 has to offer, else the AxeFX for a more expensive effect unit option.
If you don't mind sounding digital go for previous Pod series (they still rock if setup correctly and a much cheaper option) like the PodXT and add the extra Model Packs for a good sounding boost. I think the PodX3 has them already unlocked?
Else go for the pedals if you just want to play a certain type/style of music, target and and really focus on boosting that. The more pedals you have the more it actually can drain on your tone, also look for the hardware Mods for those pedals, some help a lot for that boost (within the drain).
Your amp needs to match your entire setup for the best output else you could be losting out on all your well spent dosh. Matching the guitar, effect, and amp is the hardest but best way to find your killer tone(s). Jump into the guitar stores and jam out on the setup you think you want a few times, the Rockshop here lets me pick up whatever guitar, effects and even the amp I want. When you get an audience and requests to turn it up, you know your got a killer sound! When I was jamming the PodHD + DT50 I had the entire customers in the store come over and have a lookie, I played for hours everything from blues to shredding, lol!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 23 2011, 08:26 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 23 2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor
Well, that amp is a modelling amp, so the sound won't be awesome, but it can work nicely for rehearsals, and some gigs, why not.

It seems that you have problem dialing tone. What kind of tone you want to achieve? Post the tone you like, and post the tone you got with the preset, so we can give you specific instructions on how to improve.

Regarding pedals.. if you need to travel and play on other amps, yes you need stomps. If you can lug your amp around, you don't need them. Don't worry about pedals, it's a game with no end, they usually serve for collecting/showing off.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jul 23 2011, 08:10 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:59 PM