Completely New To Guitar
NocturnalOats
Nov 13 2007, 02:49 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone, I just bought an electric guitar last week after wanting one for a while because I am sick of just being a music listener who sits back and enjoys the talent instead of creating it themselves. I want to do something about it and I've decided that nothing is going to get in my way and I'm going to play the guitar until the day I die laugh.gif Ahhh, I just love music so much--it seriously is my life and I wonder why I waited so long to do something about it.

The first week I got the guitar I played for about 16 hours that week and all I really did is learn the notes from some book on the first 4 strings, played a few lame songs within the book, and did chromatic exercises to increase speed. I think they were chromatic exercises, but I kind of just made stuff up and tried to get my fingers moving fast and more used to the fretboard.

1-2-3-4 1st - 6th string

4-3-2-1 back down

Up until the 12th fret, then rinse/repeat.

I then registered for this website because I want to do stuff that I KNOW will improve me and make me the best I can be. I've heard good things about this place and you typically get what you pay for and I'm sure it beats sifting through random crap on the internet.

There is a problem I'm having though. Even the "Beginner Kick-Off" course is too complicated. The videos are pretty short and I don't really understand the text that accompanies the videos. After watching the videos and reading all of the text for those 6 lessons, I still don't know what power cords are, especially scales (what the heck is a scale, the text was soo complicated I wasn't sure what it meant or what to do), barre cords, etc.

I feel like I am retarded even though I attend a top university with a 3.75 GPA with a double major in philosophy/biomedical engineering. (lol, I am definitely not bragging or anything I'm just wondering why I don't understand these "beginner" lessons; something must be wrong with me, not quite sure what it is yet.)

What should I do guys...I'm going to stick with playing the guitar no matter what but my motivation and inspiration is already waning because I feel so overwhelmed by all of this. Man, I am so lost and confused...

I have a feeling I will be posting A LOT in this forum, so prepared to get sick of me : (

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NocturnalOats: Nov 13 2007, 03:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:59 AM