3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Audio Recording Help, Audio Recording to PC
mroberts70
Jan 22 2013, 07:08 PM
GMC:er
I know we have similar threads, and I even considererd that this should go under the Gear section but felt that this topic would be better served in the practice room since I use my recording device for practice more than anything. I struggled for awhile before I figured out what worked for me to record digitally from my guitar to some usable file on my PC..... like .mp3 or .wav.

Rather than hash out brands and what's better, it appears that some of our brothers and sisters here at GMC are just limited to what they can easily get their hands on, and maybe need help figuring out their best option with what they can get.

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I know what finally worked for me. I also realize that MAC is better suited for this, but unfortunately I spent all my fun money on the guitars and amps so I'm left with my PC which is close to 3 years old now.... and it actually works decent for recording better than I thought. So if you have older equipment, there may be hope.

So.... anyone needing help with this particular topic? I'm sure there are enough of us here to lend a hand.

Here's my current load out until I can move on to bigger and better things...

- Toshiba Laptop running AMD Athlon X-2 Daul Core 1.2 MHz CPU Windows 7, 3 GIG Ram and 300 MB HD.
- PreSonus USB 2x2
- Audacity recording software. It's Free and used for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As you can see, I have an old laptop and free software so I'm definately not here trying to tell anyone what is "Best" to get, I'm just thinking someone may need help with what they have or what they are limited in getting.... and the GMC community has a lot of good people in it who may be able to help out...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mroberts70: Jan 22 2013, 07:11 PM

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 22 2013, 08:27 PM
Here is some good info from our friend Sensible Jones:

For a more complete set up try REAPER, especially as it supports VST's and VSTi's. Meaning you can also download the free versions of Amplitube etc. to use within it!!

Thanks SJ! I'm trying it myself...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2013, 09:49 PM
REAPER is a great choice smile.gif And it's cross platform!!!

As far as hardware, it really just depends on your budget. The good news is, in PC land, most modern laptops will do an adquate job of running your DAW and once you get a decent audio interface (usually for a couple/few hundred bux) and some decen headphones/monitors (around the same price) you are ready to enter the wonderful world of home recording smile.gif

Also, here is my THREAD ON RECORDING TIPS

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35527

and my THREAD ON GEAR FOR THE HOME STUDIO

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

Todd

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 22 2013, 02:27 PM) *
Here is some good info from our friend Sensible Jones:

For a more complete set up try REAPER, especially as it supports VST's and VSTi's. Meaning you can also download the free versions of Amplitube etc. to use within it!!

Thanks SJ! I'm trying it myself...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2013, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 22 2013, 10:41 PM
Here are some of my own tips: http://www.osirisguitar.com/three-ways-to-...ectric-guitars/

I would definitely second the recommendation for Reaper, it's awesome and just $60 for a full personal license.

And Mac is not a better choice, just different. I use both Mac and PC - Mac has better audio drivers usually, while Windows has loads more VSTs available.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 22 2013, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 22 2013, 03:49 PM) *
REAPER is a great choice smile.gif And it's cross platform!!!

As far as hardware, it really just depends on your budget. The good news is, in PC land, most modern laptops will do an adquate job of running your DAW and once you get a decent audio interface (usually for a couple/few hundred bux) and some decen headphones/monitors (around the same price) you are ready to enter the wonderful world of home recording smile.gif

Also, here is my THREAD ON RECORDING TIPS

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35527

and my THREAD ON GEAR FOR THE HOME STUDIO

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

Todd

HA, there's Todd, I knew I could lure the master out with this one! I had actually been meaning to get catch up with you on some of this stuff Todd. I knew you had some good tips for stuff to use... It just seemed that we maybe had a few people around who needed a hand, and I wasn't sure where to grab a thread to bump...

Thanks Todd!

QUOTE (osiris @ Jan 22 2013, 04:41 PM) *
Here are some of my own tips: http://www.osirisguitar.com/three-ways-to-...ectric-guitars/

I would definitely second the recommendation for Reaper, it's awesome and just $60 for a full personal license.

And Mac is not a better choice, just different. I use both Mac and PC - Mac has better audio drivers usually, while Windows has loads more VSTs available.

Thanks Osiris, that sounds reasonable to me. I just know a few people who use MAC, but my knowledge is limited with the whole recording thing so I guess there are probably lots of Windows options out as well. Just seemed that the MAC stuff was easier for my friends to hook up and use than what I've ran into with PC. It just always seemed that the MAC's were the top picks among those who record music/video or did graphic design. I've never really done either one before so it's all still new to me.

Thanks again for the comments. Those of us who don't know appreciate it... smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 23 2013, 03:40 AM
Hey, this is a good idea. Maybe it will help if I share my progression since joining. When I joined GMC I knew NOTHING about recording. I struggled to find how to submit video for my mentoring thread and then I found this video in the REC forum and it literally changed my musical life.

Before this I was using Audacity which is a great program but not the right tool for recording and editing guitar. After I started using Reaper and got a M-audio fast track used off ebay for like 20 bucks. Then I got started messing with vst's I have Amplitube now but I also started using free stuff, like Lepou's amp sims which you can get here ( http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/ ) and also his Lecab 2 for loading impulse responses ( which you can find some cool ones here. I really liked the orange impulses http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/01...ulse-responses/ ). That website also has a lot of cool lists for some other cool free effects. Now I use Reaper and Amplitube and am working on upgrading to a faster computer and some studio monitors like Rokit krk 6's, and some Akg mk 240 headphones. I think Todd likes Overloud Th 1 and 2 for amp sims, I have not tried them yet. It's all a learning process. And sometimes learning to make the best out of what you have can bring on some interesting results.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 23 2013, 04:29 AM
HA, this is great. I know way more already after starting this thread. Maybe I'm the only one who wasn't aware of all the cool stuff out?? huh.gif

BAH, wouldn't be the first time I was behind the curve.... LOL

Thanks Vonhotch for your contribution!!!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2013, 11:52 AM
Instructor
That little video is very good and I have always recommended it to anyone asking about a setup which involved free stuff smile.gif Looks like it's still good! Let us know how it went smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 23 2013, 01:06 PM
Just a couple of lists of free VST's!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 23 2013, 06:59 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 23 2013, 07:06 AM) *
Just a couple of lists of free VST's!!

Thanks yet again, all good stuff.

I pulled down the free version of Amplitube, and I have no problems with purchasing add ons, however I didn't want to put the cart before the horse so I wanted to give it a go with my existing computer before doing any add ons. So with this free version, do you know if there is really very much I can do with it? Also, the .vst files named in the video you posted... where exactly does one use those? Will they work with Amplitube, or is there another software that I need get in order to use the .vst's? My apologies if you covered this and I missed it, if so it would be likely that I did not comprehend the point you were making at the time.

Oh, and the video you posted in the other thread by Ivan was very helpful on setting up Amplitube. Thank you sir!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 23 2013, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 23 2013, 05:59 PM) *

I pulled down the free version of Amplitube, and I have no problems with purchasing add ons, however I didn't want to put the cart before the horse so I wanted to give it a go with my existing computer before doing any add ons. So with this free version, do you know if there is really very much I can do with it? Also, the .vst files named in the video you posted... where exactly does one use those? Will they work with Amplitube, or is there another software that I need get in order to use the .vst's? My apologies if you covered this and I missed it, if so it would be likely that I did not comprehend the point you were making at the time.

Oh, and the video you posted in the other thread by Ivan was very helpful on setting up Amplitube. Thank you sir!

Just had a look at the spec of your Laptop and you should be OK.
The free version is OK to get started with, it only has 24 bits of kit in it compared to the 230 in the full version but it's all usable stuff!
You would use Amlitube or one of those others in exactly the same way.
Open a track in Reaper, click the Monitoring button and arm it to record. Make sure you can hear your Guitar.
Click on the 'FX' button and you'll open up a dialogue box with a list of effects, click on the VST'i on the left and then find Amplitube (or the Poulin types if that's what you want), you have now assigned Amplitube (or whatever) to your guitar track, you should now be able to play around with the amp/cab and effects setting to your hearts content until you find a sound you like!!
Hope that all makes sense! If not let me know and I'll do some Screenshots and a walkthrough for you!
biggrin.gif

This might help you get started:-

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 23 2013, 07:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 23 2013, 08:39 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 23 2013, 01:18 PM) *
Just had a look at the spec of your Laptop and you should be OK.
The free version is OK to get started with, it only has 24 bits of kit in it compared to the 230 in the full version but it's all usable stuff!
You would use Amlitube or one of those others in exactly the same way.
Open a track in Reaper, click the Monitoring button and arm it to record. Make sure you can hear your Guitar.
Click on the 'FX' button and you'll open up a dialogue box with a list of effects, click on the VST'i on the left and then find Amplitube (or the Poulin types if that's what you want), you have now assigned Amplitube (or whatever) to your guitar track, you should now be able to play around with the amp/cab and effects setting to your hearts content until you find a sound you like!!
Hope that all makes sense! If not let me know and I'll do some Screenshots and a walkthrough for you!
biggrin.gif

This might help you get started:-

I think I got it, I was just curious if I was right thinking that the VST's were like getting new gear, just plug into Amplitube and have fun. I'm headed out of the cave now to give this 21 century stuff a try. I'm keepin the caveman club though... just in case. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 01:08 AM
The free version of amplitude (Amplitude Free) is actually a great way to get started. It doesn't have any annoying demo limitations like a BUZZ sound or drop outs. It just works and works well. It will also let you get used to tweaking the settings without overwhelming you options. That comes later smile.gif

So yeah, Amplitude Free is a great place to start. It will run on your current laptop with reaper just fine. So Install Reaper and Amplitude and start recording today!!!!! You've got enough software and tips to get started so START!!!! smile.gif You'll learn more by doing than you ever thought possible.

Todd

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 23 2013, 12:59 PM) *

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 24 2013, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 23 2013, 07:08 PM) *
The free version of amplitude (Amplitude Free) is actually a great way to get started. It doesn't have any annoying demo limitations like a BUZZ sound or drop outs. It just works and works well. It will also let you get used to tweaking the settings without overwhelming you options. That comes later smile.gif

So yeah, Amplitude Free is a great place to start. It will run on your current laptop with reaper just fine. So Install Reaper and Amplitude and start recording today!!!!! You've got enough software and tips to get started so START!!!! smile.gif You'll learn more by doing than you ever thought possible.

Todd

I'm on it... Can I get a VST that plays the guitar for me?

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 24 2013, 01:18 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2013, 12:08 AM) *
You'll learn more by doing than you ever thought possible.

Well said Todd, that's exactly how I've learnt to do the limited stuff that I know!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2013, 07:55 AM
As my favorite Assassin once said 'Practice is the best way to learn" (The Professional)

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 23 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Well said Todd, that's exactly how I've learnt to do the limited stuff that I know!!
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 25 2013, 08:31 AM
The video vonhotch posted is pretty useful tongue.gif And of course, all the other videos are too, saw those in my own thread biggrin.gif very helpful advice indeed smile.gif

Mr Simpson's Home Recording Tips thread is giving me loads of knowledge on recording by the way biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jan 25 2013, 08:32 AM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2013, 05:33 PM

Happy to help! smile.gif Home recording is a wonderful thing.

Todd

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 25 2013, 02:31 AM) *
The video vonhotch posted is pretty useful tongue.gif And of course, all the other videos are too, saw those in my own thread biggrin.gif very helpful advice indeed smile.gif

Mr Simpson's Home Recording Tips thread is giving me loads of knowledge on recording by the way biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 25 2013, 05:35 PM
... and Todd's extensive in home recording knowledge is a wonderful thing! smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 25 2013, 06:03 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 25 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Happy to help! smile.gif Home recording is a wonderful thing.

Todd

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 04:35 PM) *
... and Todd's extensive in home recording knowledge is a wonderful thing! smile.gif

Agreed to both biggrin.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:24 PM