Quick Licks #48 Neoclassical Pedal Point Shapes
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2018, 07:45 PM
GMC:er
Let's do a very simple but very cool NeoClassical Inspired lick that you can use in a solo or just to work on your precision/speed. I'm going to DOUBLE PICK every note in this lick except for the very last note which you can single strike and use vibrato. This lick works well as a solo lick but also helps you to work on your string traverse while multi picking.

Many folks find that traversing while multi picking can be a bit tricky, so this lick should help out on that front. It's not crazy complex. Just a simple shape. Also, I'm playing the first demo "at speed" to show you what it will sound like once you play it quite a bit. I DO NOT expect you to play it this fast for your take. You can play at any speed that is comfortable.

*Have a look at the video

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch.
Attached File  48.gp5 ( 1.92K ) Number of downloads: 15178

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: I'm backing off the difficulty here on purpose to try to get back to the "Quick" idea behind "Quick Licks". Hopefully this one is is a bit easier smile.gif

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2018, 08:14 PM
If your Alternate Picking needs a boost. Give this drill a try!
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 6 2018, 02:45 PM) *
Let's do a very simple but very cool NeoClassical Inspired lick that you can use in a solo or just to work on your precision/speed. I'm going to DOUBLE PICK every note in this lick except for the very last note which you can single strike and use vibrato. This lick works well as a solo lick but also helps you to work on your string traverse while multi picking.

Many folks find that traversing while multi picking can be a bit tricky, so this lick should help out on that front. It's not crazy complex. Just a simple shape. Also, I'm playing the first demo "at speed" to show you what it will sound like once you play it quite a bit. I DO NOT expect you to play it this fast for your take. You can play at any speed that is comfortable.

*Have a look at the video

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch.
Attached File  48.gp5 ( 1.92K ) Number of downloads: 15178

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: I'm backing off the difficulty here on purpose to try to get back to the "Quick" idea behind "Quick Licks". Hopefully this one is is a bit easier smile.gif

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 11 2018, 06:54 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2018, 10:01 PM
Nice!!! I can see you getting better with each and every one of these. Your technique continues to get more and more refined, your precision continues to improve as well. You have been making great progress on these and it looks like you are going to be crowned as the new TOP DAWG of Quick Licks, you are only a few steps away! I"ve never seen anyone climb up this fast. In your next batch you will over take the top spot! Keep it up!!! It's great to see you making such great gains!!!! You killed this and ...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 11 2018, 01:54 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 11 2019, 12:19 AM
Learning Rock Star

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 11 2019, 12:25 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2019, 03:53 PM
Double Picking like a pro!!! This one requires hand synch, a solid palm mute, killer precision and very advanced picking. You have no problem at all with any of it. It's impressive. I love seeing you tear through these. Keep going! As for this one, you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 10 2019, 07:19 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2019, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 for scrutiny Sarge

https://youtu.be/oK4yCyKDMaA

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2019, 12:40 AM
Look at him go!! Nicely done. This is a very neo classical kind of lick. It works just fine played slow but it also works played fast. It's got a bit of an Yngwie vibe to it as that's who I sorta borrowed it from! Descending pedal point licks get tricky when you do them across strings. You managed it quite well. Didn't get tripped up on the picking or anything. Double picking on this makes it even more of a challenge. Great to see you are putting all of your learning together to attack new licks! You've got this one. You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 23 2019, 03:57 PM) *
Take 1 for scrutiny Sarge

https://youtu.be/oK4yCyKDMaA

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 2 2021, 11:36 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 3 2021, 06:00 AM
Well played!!! This one requires a lot of technical bits to packed in there. You've gotta double pick it, keep a good mute, keep solid timing, etc. It's a pedal point lick so you gotta keep the pedal tone and not let it drift. You do a great job keeping it all together. Also, it ends on a big vibarato. You use single finger vibrato and it's much improved from what you started when a while back when you first started doing vibrato. It's not tepid or timid or shallow, it's nice and deep. Score!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 2 2021, 06:36 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:40 AM