Annoying Hiss Plagues Me With New Equipment
The Uncreator
Mar 3 2012, 09:03 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/audio-hiss

Basically, that background noise plagues everything I do. My new setup is as follows

Guitar > Behringer Ultra DI Box > Behringer X1204USB Mixer > PC (Via USB)

This happens whenever I select monitoring on inside Reaper, and no matter what I do the noise persists. If I put a noise gate in front of my signal chain it just chokes the sound unbearably so (Using LePou/ Guitar Rig), drowning out everything. I have moved my entire rig into the only other room in my house, and kept it away from all major power sources, so it should not be that. If I use the -20db attenuation switches on the DI box it chokes the tone more (the soundclip has one of the two switches active) and does no real good for the problem.

I am just out of ideas at this point, hoping someone knows where my problem lies.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrontlineGuitar
Mar 3 2012, 09:47 PM
GMC:er
Okay, could be a number of things, but my first bet is the cables you're using. If you have any spare cables to hand, try swapping them with what you're using now and see if it's the same.

Also, check the inputs and outputs you're using in Reaper. The small box in the top right takes you there, or you can get there by going

Edit -> Preferences -> Devices/Audio Device

Go in there, and make sure that your input is the USB you're plugging in. It's probably gonna be named after the thing you're using, so probably 'Behringer' something. Make sure it's that, and make sure your output is your speakers. If there's no input there for you then you might need to download certain drivers for your behringer devices.

If the problem still persists, it's definitely worth simply going into 'Control Panel -> Sound' and checking the devices from there. Check that on each device, there isn't some weird effect that Windows or Mac puts on it, helping to 'aid recording'. I know Vista does this for me and it just screws everything up. So check there are no enhancements, and check that the device is enabled.

Also, try just going straight in without using the Guitar Rig VST. You never know, it might just be your guitar rig.

Hopefully that'll help. Tell me how you get on smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 3 2012, 11:37 PM
GMC:er
I don't know much about mixers since all I use is a Presonus USB unit.

But I may be able to at least get some more info that would help others pin point the issue.

As FrontlineGuitar said. Try it without the VSTs does it still do it?

When did it start?
Was there a REAPER upgrade?
When you got the new mixer?
If you take the mixer out and record does it clean up?
Does the mixer have an input you can try and not run it via the usb DI does it still do it?
Are your cables between the DI and Mixer really long?

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 4 2012, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
MY FIRST THOUGHT were the cables as well

+Quote Post
kahall
Mar 4 2012, 02:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm not familiar with the Behringer Ultra DI Box > or the Behringer X1204USB Mixer > and how they hook up so this may be way off.

Recently I had an issue with more of a popping sound instead of a hiss coming from my monitors when I tried to record using reaper. I thought it just started doing it out of the blue and I could not figure out why. I had forgotten that I had unplugged everything in my set up for cleaning or something and then hooked it all back up and eventually I realized that one of the monitors was not plugged into the same electrical outlet it was in before I unplugged it all. Even after I realized it I just did not think that would cause the noise. Well I was wrong as that is what it was and as soon as I plugged both monitors into a surge protector that was from the same outlet it went away. I had a ground loop problem which happens a lot in older homes so maybe try plugging in everything to one power strip or one surge protector and see what happens.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 4 2012, 05:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 3 2012, 08:03 PM) *
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/audio-hiss

Basically, that background noise plagues everything I do. My new setup is as follows

Guitar > Behringer Ultra DI Box > Behringer X1204USB Mixer > PC (Via USB)

This happens whenever I select monitoring on inside Reaper, and no matter what I do the noise persists. If I put a noise gate in front of my signal chain it just chokes the sound unbearably so (Using LePou/ Guitar Rig), drowning out everything. I have moved my entire rig into the only other room in my house, and kept it away from all major power sources, so it should not be that. If I use the -20db attenuation switches on the DI box it chokes the tone more (the soundclip has one of the two switches active) and does no real good for the problem.

I am just out of ideas at this point, hoping someone knows where my problem lies.

There are a few reasons why it can happen
- your cables just try to see if something got disconnected or got loose
- Di box usually you have to very careful with Di boxes because it is a big part of converting your signal and cheap Di might have a lot of noise
- Usb cable might be loose as well
- this one is the weirdest reasons but I had situations myself when I am getting a lot of noise because of the lights and some electronic devices in the room! Even your monitor can create a lot of noise
try moving around the room and turn off your devices it might help!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 4 2012, 11:07 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A few other possibilities:

The preamps on the mixer may be intrinsically noisy and/or a component may have failed (sorry to say but Behringer don't have a great reputation here).
Or their pots may need a clean.
Or the XLR and other i/o may need a clean.

Mismatch between balanced and unbalanced cables.

Audio cable running parallel to mains cables: audio should route perpendicular to mains.

Noisy USB bus in the pc - try a different USB port. If the USB shares a PCI with any other card and it has shared interrupts etc. then moving the card to a different PCI slot may help.

Poor PC grounding and/or dust in the pc.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 4 2012, 04:04 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Thanks for the answers guys, will start experimenting

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 4 2012, 07:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 4 2012, 03:04 PM) *
Thanks for the answers guys, will start experimenting

Yeah just try a few different thing and you will find the solution! Good luck!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:12 AM