Alternate Picking Question
vampire14
Jan 14 2009, 03:45 PM
GMC:er
i saw in some videos a tip about alternate picking that you need to keep you fingers close to the fretboard after hitting each note. i tried it and for some reason it was very hard even at slow speeds. i dont know why my fingers want to jump the hell away. anyway than i noticed that when i sped up my fingers didnt realy have a choice but staying close cause they couldent get away and i had to use them again.
so my question is, is keeping my fingers close to the fretboard should be a concius effort or does that come automatically with speed?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 14 2009, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Well, work on it consiously at first and with a very slow tempo. After some days/weeks of practice, it should come naturally.

Just keep working on it dude, and you will get there eventually smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 14 2009, 05:10 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
You should keep trying at slow speeds until it comes to you naturally. If you're having trouble keeping your finegrs close try higher frets, like starting on the 7 fret.

+Quote Post
vampire14
Jan 14 2009, 08:04 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jan 14 2009, 06:10 PM) *
You should keep trying at slow speeds until it comes to you naturally. If you're having trouble keeping your finegrs close try higher frets, like starting on the 7 fret.

thx, but my question was that i wondered is it something that comes naturally with speed because the faster you move your finger they dont have time to pull back is that a concius effort i need to invest in not letting my finger jump off?

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 14 2009, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Here is what happened to me on this issue

I feelt that i couldent play fast because my fingers fas to far away(My pinky espacially) so what i did was that i practised slow and really consentrated on keeping the fingers close and all of a sudden i came to me naturally....

you just have to be patient and dont rush it

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 15 2009, 01:48 AM
Jazz Instructor
Don't be to self conscious while you are playing, you cannot control everything. Fingers need to be close to the fretboard, ok, if you think about it all time, and try somehow to limit their movement, your straining them, which is exactly what you want to avoid. So here is what you should do. When you are practicing your technique, create segment where you are just playing a scale, slow, with focus on your left hand, and finger movement. Keep them close to fretboard, as you said. Don't hurry, don't strain, just so some scales, and you can do this for 15 minutes not more. So, then you need to be aware, when you are doing exercises, not while you're jamming or playing. So, after those 15 minutes are over, forget about left hand. If you do this every second day, you WILL progress very fast, yes, it's only 15 minutes, but this is a muscle memory exercise, you're training your fingers to respond in similar manner wherever you are playing scales. So, do the execises, and soon, it will become automatic, like autopilot, you won't have to think about it.

What you want to achieve with this?
Relaxed left hand while playing. You are saving left-hand energy, to put it that way, and when your fingers are relaxed(more or less) you can actually play more without stopping. Same goes for the right hand, you DON'T want to strain too much. It's pointless to pick hard, when same loudness can be achieved with less effort, and it's pointless to lift your fingers 1 inch each time, you are losing your energy.

I think you are right, it is wise to pay attention on that, but just when you're practicing it.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 15 2009, 11:27 PM
Instructor
Don't overdo either hand - you should seek balance in both right and left hand when playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 16 2009, 12:28 PM
Instructor
Fingers don't even need to be close to the fretboard, it's all matter of practice. It is better to keep them close to minimize the movements, but in reality they can go 2-3 cm apart from the frets it doesn't matter as long as it is precise. I would recommend to keep them close tho, cause then you are building a more "neater" technique and fingers are moving less, so you watch for them in the long run.
Everything starts from slow, you're right. Try to fret the notes while keeping fingers close to strings and do it all the time, and in some time your technique will tend to go in that direction.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 16 2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Yeah, you don't have to think about it that much.
Practice slow and keep your playing clean.
And while you're upgrading the speed
your fingers will naturally stick closer to the fretboard
cause there will be no time to keep them too far away. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 16 2009, 11:02 PM
Jazz Instructor
Muris said it right, there will be no time:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:02 PM