8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Funk It! - Gmc Collab
Todd Simpson
Feb 17 2015, 03:42 AM
GMC:er
Happy to help! smile.gif Chrome book eh? NO PROBLEM!! smile.gif CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://soundation.com/studio

Entirely web based recording/mixing. GIve it a go smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 15 2015, 11:13 PM) *
all i have is a chrome book. I cant really do much besides surf the web on it its pretty lame laptop.... but its very cheap. that worked perfect though thats exactly what i was asking thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 17 2015, 05:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
Alright guys I tried to clean this up a bit and took Kris's advice and put some markers in. I did not get a full take through but did write the parts again keeping the principal licks in mind.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/funk-it-2

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 17 2015, 11:27 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 17 2015, 05:26 AM) *
Alright guys I tried to clean this up a bit and took Kris's advice and put some markers in. I did not get a full take through but did write the parts again keeping the principal licks in mind.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/funk-it-2

Very cool Jim, the lick at 00:20 is approaching fusion-pro sounding (whatever that means ph34r.gif ).

As your chops get more fluid so should your sound, it's currently a bit harsh and does not match those fluid lines.

Some tips/brainstorming - you obviously need a certain amount of treble to cut through. However I suggest you be careful with the treble in the ~2K-9K region. And go for the "presence" region instead which is above that.

Also be a bit careful with reverb - too much of reverb that is different from the one Gab used for the backing, will make your sound clash with the backing.

I have pointed out some specifics below -but I don't really think any of the 'mistakes' are serious. I still think you should get more secure about the take as a whole. You have squeezed in a lot of different kind of neat ideas in there, we need to hear that you mean ' em all! A mistake here and there can be a good thing, provided the take as a whole feels solid!

So the biggest improvement is for you to get confident with the take, I don't want to get the impression you're trying to 'catch up' constantly. So in other words keep practicing like you have done so far!

00:05 - percussive scratched notes could be more aggressive here, play it like you mean it!
00:17 - run could be cleaner
00:25 - there is room to improve bending accuracy here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Feb 17 2015, 04:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 17 2015, 02:42 AM) *
Happy to help! smile.gif Chrome book eh? NO PROBLEM!! smile.gif CHECK THIS OUT!!!

http://soundation.com/studio

Entirely web based recording/mixing. GIve it a go smile.gif

Todd

thx this is great. the only thing is i cant seem to record the guitar with my headphones plugged in and if i dont do that then backing track bleeds over into the guitar track.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 17 2015, 05:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 17 2015, 04:31 PM) *
thx this is great. the only thing is i cant seem to record the guitar with my headphones plugged in and if i dont do that then backing track bleeds over into the guitar track.

What happens when you plug in your headphones?
Do you get any sound (backing track) or the sound still comes out of the loudspeakers even though you have the headphones plugged in?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Feb 18 2015, 12:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 17 2015, 04:53 PM) *
What happens when you plug in your headphones?
Do you get any sound (backing track) or the sound still comes out of the loudspeakers even though you have the headphones plugged in?

no the backing track plays through the headphones. the mic doesnt seem to work when the headphones are plugged in for some reason. idk maybe im just doing something dumb lol

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 18 2015, 11:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 18 2015, 12:22 AM) *
no the backing track plays through the headphones. the mic doesnt seem to work when the headphones are plugged in for some reason. idk maybe im just doing something dumb lol

Maybe try going to Settings>Recording Settings and see if the correct input is selected as "microphone" here: http://screencast.com/t/ljaBYY8PYT9j

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 18 2015, 04:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 17 2015, 05:27 AM) *
Very cool Jim, the lick at 00:20 is approaching fusion-pro sounding (whatever that means ph34r.gif ).

As your chops get more fluid so should your sound, it's currently a bit harsh and does not match those fluid lines.

Some tips/brainstorming - you obviously need a certain amount of treble to cut through. However I suggest you be careful with the treble in the ~2K-9K region. And go for the "presence" region instead which is above that.

Also be a bit careful with reverb - too much of reverb that is different from the one Gab used for the backing, will make your sound clash with the backing.

I have pointed out some specifics below -but I don't really think any of the 'mistakes' are serious. I still think you should get more secure about the take as a whole. You have squeezed in a lot of different kind of neat ideas in there, we need to hear that you mean ' em all! A mistake here and there can be a good thing, provided the take as a whole feels solid!

So the biggest improvement is for you to get confident with the take, I don't want to get the impression you're trying to 'catch up' constantly. So in other words keep practicing like you have done so far!

00:05 - percussive scratched notes could be more aggressive here, play it like you mean it!
00:17 - run could be cleaner
00:25 - there is room to improve bending accuracy here

Hey Kris I'll keep working on this and try to make this take more believable. Thanks for your honesty.

+Quote Post
Procyon
Feb 18 2015, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 15 2015, 11:47 PM) *
Thanks Procyon. As usual I think your solo construction skills are great, and I really like how you develop this theme and intensify it until the end! The rhythm scratch stuff is soo cool! biggrin.gif

00:12 - end of run is a little off.

00:21 - fast run sounds a bit uneven

00:24 - pitch problem, or Kirk Hamm:ish vibrato . Not sure witch!

Tonewise I would probably want something a little warmer and less treblish. I think the current sound works ok for the scratchy/funky stuff but it makes the runs sound a little thin.

Thanks a lot, Kris! As usual I really like the way you give detailed feedback. I will try to improve these points (especially the witch! laugh.gif )

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 18 2015, 08:41 PM
GMC Founder
Hehe yes those two things sound kinda similar..! ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 18 2015, 09:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Attached File  Funk_it_with_backing.mp3 ( 1.26MB ) Number of downloads: 198

For Gabriel chat.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 18 2015, 09:08 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 18 2015, 11:54 PM
I was wondering if someone could post the Chord progression.......so I can learn the backing track along with trying to solo over it. My ear is still training and although I can 'fake' some of them, I still have trouble getting them done correctly.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2015, 02:06 AM
When the little window pops up that lets you choose your mic input, make sure you pick the right OUTPUT as well smile.gif it should be set to HEADPHONE OUT if you are using headphones. IS that the setting your using?

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 17 2015, 11:31 AM) *

Bingo!! smile.gif Well said Bogdan!! Did you get the software a try?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 18 2015, 06:24 AM) *
Maybe try going to Settings>Recording Settings and see if the correct input is selected as "microphone" here: http://screencast.com/t/ljaBYY8PYT9j

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 19 2015, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 19 2015, 08:33 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Feb 18 2015, 11:54 PM) *
I was wondering if someone could post the Chord progression.......so I can learn the backing track along with trying to solo over it. My ear is still training and although I can 'fake' some of them, I still have trouble getting them done correctly.

I think chords are mostly E7 and A7, you can see how Vinman played it here.

When jamming over this one I don't really think about the chords, it has floating feel and there is no real progression happening. Let's see what Gab says.

Here is my take over the extended backing track, I used pretty much all of the scales suggested.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 19 2015, 09:11 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
blink.gif What what!! biggrin.gif You are like some kind of mad scientist with that thing man! A couple of times during that track I was reminded of this jam. maybe it was the tone, I don't know for sure. Good stuff man!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 19 2015, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Feb 19 2015, 09:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 19 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Here is my take over the extended backing track, I used pretty much all of the scales suggested.

holy crap! that was seriously amazing dude. that kinda blew me away ohmy.gif
Ive never seen / heard one of those guitars before, they sound great. Ive gotsta try one of those bad boys smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 19 2015, 10:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok folks, sorry I'm so late coming into this one. Here's my first attempt. I couldn't think of anything for a long time, then, the backing somehow reminded me of a very basic piece I did called "Nora's Walk" (See this thread https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=704397 go to the picture of the scary lady for an explanation and to hear the track, the link is below the pic) laugh.gif

Any advice greatly appreciated. The silly note at the end, which is obviously a total mistake, makes me smile every time I hear it, I think of Tom and Jerry, Jerry is walking out of his mouse hole and spots Tom glaring at him, "eek" laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/funkit-collab

Thanks for this one, I'm really enjoying these collabs, no matter how bad I sound I enjoy them cool.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 21 2015, 05:44 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 19 2015, 10:33 PM
Well, I started out with something that was more traditional proper Funk that has slowly evolved and is now crying out for some more Nuno styled lines, so that's where I'm now headed. Will have a sketch recorded over the weekend sometime!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Feb 19 2015, 10:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
ya im not sure why but every time i merge the tracks on MTSR one of the tracks gets pushed ahead of the beat. sorry to be a pain about this i just cant figure it out

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 19 2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks Kristofer. I got it.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:08 AM