8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Funk It! - Gmc Collab
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 19 2015, 11:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Feb 18 2015, 07:54 PM) *
I was wondering if someone could post the Chord progression.......so I can learn the backing track along with trying to solo over it. My ear is still training and although I can 'fake' some of them, I still have trouble getting them done correctly.

Hi Gene, here I wrote the tab with chords that I played in this backing:

Attached Image

Attached File  Funky_Chords.gp5 ( 6.1K ) Number of downloads: 138

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 20 2015, 06:47 PM
GMC:er
Gabriel, thanks for the tab. I really appreciate it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 20 2015, 10:04 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 19 2015, 10:15 PM) *
Ok folks, sorry I'm so late coming into this one. Here's my first attempt. I couldn't think of anything for a long time, then, the backing somehow reminded me of a very basic piece I did called "Nora's Walk" (See this thread https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=704397 go to the picture of the scary lady for an explanation and to hear the track) laugh.gif

Any advice greatly appreciated. The silly note at the end, which is obviously a total mistake, makes me smile every time I hear it, I think of Tom and Jerry, Jerry is walking out of his mouse hole and spots Tom glaring at him, "eek" laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/funkit-collab

Thanks for this one, I'm really enjoying these collabs, no matter how bad I sound I enjoy them cool.gif

Phil

Cool Phil - concept wise this is good. Your take "fills the holes" and would work well in a band kind of situation. I already have your melody stuck in my head, it is a great addition to the backing track riff.

If you want to structure or it more like a lead, I would suggest starting with the 00:23 type of licks earlier.

The last note rocks! biggrin.gif If you can improve the rest of the take - that one will sound completely on purpose and very cool/provocative. Throwing in something weird stuff after a strong passage is a really cool trick, and right up my alley.

Playing wise there are some missed notes from 00:25. The first section (00:00-00-25) feels slightly "stiff" - try practicing it some more and think about a relaxed right hand.

All in all well done - and congratulations for exploring new territory, this is what will take you forward even if it feels tricky.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 20 2015, 10:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Kris.

Ok here is another version, I've put the mouse squeak on at the end cool.gif

Thanks for your help.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/funkit-collab20022015

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 20 2015, 10:47 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 20 2015, 10:38 PM) *
Thanks Kris.

Ok here is another version, I've put the mouse squeak on at the end cool.gif

Thanks for your help.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/funkit-collab20022015

Phil

Excellent - this all sounds really cool to my ears. SOund and playing is much improved, and I really like the ending part now! Very well done!

You are ready to start exploring the extended backing version now! ph34r.gif

-----

Thanks so much Bleez and AK for your great comments on my take. I am having a blast exploring new territory - and this backing track is perfect to try new weird note choices. Here is an analysis with some scale examples.

00:11-00:20, 03:03-03:06, chromatic scale

01:00-01:10, E aeolian/ minor scale. I used this one extensively throughout the solo, but this passage really showcases it with emphasis on the minor third note.

03:15-03:25, E major pentatonic

05:22-05:30, E phrygian dominant

Another trick I did throughout to explore new sounds, was to play triad arpeggios taken from the E minor or E major scale. But my landing note after the arpeggios would be a really weird and 'out' note (and then typically I would add vibrato/bending to that weird note).

The idea here is that if you just play a random out note, it will just sound strange. But if you do it after a couple of strong notes (arpeggio notes) then it will sound like you did it on purpose, and a bit jazzy. This rhymes well with what I told Phil about "throwing in something weird stuff after a strong passage".

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 19 2015, 10:33 PM) *
Well, I started out with something that was more traditional proper Funk that has slowly evolved and is now crying out for some more Nuno styled lines, so that's where I'm now headed. Will have a sketch recorded over the weekend sometime!!
smile.gif

Great, I am looking forward to it! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2015, 11:53 PM
Lets hear it for midi controllers! NIcely done man! I'm gonna use mine on a collab after seeing this. Inspiring!!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 19 2015, 03:33 PM) *
I think chords are mostly E7 and A7, you can see how Vinman played it here.

When jamming over this one I don't really think about the chords, it has floating feel and there is no real progression happening. Let's see what Gab says.

Here is my take over the extended backing track, I used pretty much all of the scales suggested.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 21 2015, 02:14 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hey guys and gals! It has been a while since I took part in a collab here so I think with this backing it is time to jump back in. I had a lot of fun playing along with this one as well as the extended backing. Much thanks to Vinman56, Gabriel, Kris and all the rest of the crew that may have had a part in making this collab happen and for providing solid feedback to all who take part! Looking forward to some feedback and thanks again for the cool jam track!

https://soundcloud.com/richatthelake66/funkit-collab

[attachment=41029:funkit_collab.mp3]

[attachment=41030:funkit_collab_nb.mp3]

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 21 2015, 05:22 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 16 2015, 08:26 PM) *
Alright guys I tried to clean this up a bit and took Kris's advice and put some markers in. I did not get a full take through but did write the parts again keeping the principal licks in mind.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/funk-it-2

Yo Jim, nice take man! I especially like the run starting at the 11 second mark, and the run at the 20 second mark as well. cool.gif Both of those runs, especially the first reminded me of Greg Howe. very tasty morsels!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 21 2015, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2015, 02:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
As suggested by Gabriel in Wednesday's chat, I changed the long middle section a bit:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 21 2015, 02:52 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Funk_it_without_backing.mp3 ( 857.08K ) Number of downloads: 129
Attached File  Funk_it_with_backing.mp3 ( 857.08K ) Number of downloads: 158

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 21 2015, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
Alrighty guys here is Third Take. I know I need to polish the beginning part but I guess I'm still writing the framework for it. What do you think? The Reverb is turned down too.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 20 2015, 11:22 PM) *
Yo Jim, nice take man! I especially like the run starting at the 11 second mark, and the run at the 20 second mark as well. cool.gif Both of those runs, especially the first reminded me of Greg Howe. very tasty morsels!

I just saw your nice comets! Thanks. Greg is a big part of what I listen to. Or I shall say used too. I listened to greg a lot but his playing is just so crazy.... Thanks Man!

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 20 2015, 08:14 PM) *
Hey guys and gals! It has been a while since I took part in a collab here so I think with this backing it is time to jump back in. I had a lot of fun playing along with this one as well as the extended backing. Much thanks to Vinman56, Gabriel, Kris and all the rest of the crew that may have had a part in making this collab happen and for providing solid feedback to all who take part! Looking forward to some feedback and thanks again for the cool jam track!

Whoa..... That's awesome. I love that tone, it's throaghty balzy and cutting. This is very unique and has a lot of different colors and themes!

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 21 2015, 08:40 PM
I decided to tackle the whole enchilada. It's a long track, but I wanted to push it some. This is all a single take, warts and all without overdubs or fixes. I like large portions of what I did, but my timing suffered here and there, definitely near the end where I think I was getting a bit fatigued.

I used mostly E Aeolian but mixed was a fair amount of major tonalities. E, B, and A, along with minor phrasing intermixed for all. Here and there I did fiddle with phrygian.

First, the Enchilada.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/funkcollab1l

And then a little sauce or bad guacamole (depedning on where you bite)

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/funkcollab1solo

Edit: I resaved the file of the Whole Enchilada a little louder. I had the slider low as I was listening through monitors when I saved it. I left the solo only track alone.

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Feb 21 2015, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 21 2015, 10:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 20 2015, 09:47 PM) *
Excellent - this all sounds really cool to my ears. SOund and playing is much improved, and I really like the ending part now! Very well done!

You are ready to start exploring the extended backing version now! ph34r.gif

Thanks for your kind comments Kris. I've just had a go with the extended version, ouch, it was like going into world war III only armed with a hand gun. Not enough ammunition to cope. Bit too advanced for me at the moment. Sorry.

I think I'll try to improve the short version for now, that is hard enough for me with it being something I'm not used to at all one little bit tongue.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 21 2015, 11:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 21 2015, 02:14 AM) *

Awesome to see you in a collab again AK! biggrin.gif

Your ideas here are solid as usual. There is unpredictability, for example the unexpected slide in the beginning and the occasional 'out' but very cool note choice. Your playing is groovy as well which is important over a funk backing such as this one.

The biggest problem I see are small timing issues that are all over the take, your chops are not quite up to par with all the cool ideas you have. This might be further amplified by the fact that you have two equally loud leads in your mix (?)

Examples: 00:04-00:05, 00:09, 00:16 - 00:18

The timing issues often coincide with sloppier playing / missed notes, and this is quite common. It clearly shows those licks must be practiced slowly first with relaxed technique.

----

00:23 16th note run - here I would personally like to see you try some other idea, since you have already done this type of run. It could pass in an improvised take, but for a written solo I would want to see something more inspired there.

---

Finally a comment regarding sound: I think a less heavy metal sound would lift your take and better suit the backing. Maybe try to find a sound with softer treble and a bit more sensitive to dynamics.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2015, 02:52 PM) *
As suggested by Gabriel in Wednesday's chat, I changed the long middle section a bit:

Yes this is definitely improvement from structural perspective. BUT about you previous take:

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 18 2015, 09:06 PM) *
[Funk_it_with_backing.mp3]

For Gabriel chat.

You vibrato on the first sustained note (00:04) is top notch in this previous take. It's subtle but perfect to me. On your most recent take the vibrato is just a bend. The reason it sounded so good on the previous version was because you gradually increased depth of the vibrato, this is a beautiful trick. You should try to recreate this, and use is a lot! Vibrato at 00:23 is also amazing (in previous take).

Cael - please see if you can get control of this and record another take where you try to do it on every sustained note just for the sake of practicing. If you get it down all other 'mistakes' will be excused and I think we'll have a pro sounding take. I am anxiously waiting to hear how this works out for you.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 21 2015, 03:57 PM) *
Alrighty guys here is Third Take. I know I need to polish the beginning part but I guess I'm still writing the framework for it. What do you think? The Reverb is turned down too.

Cool Jim, my feedback will be similar to AK's. I think both of you are full of killer ideas - you just need to work on taming the beast and getting better control of your chops (as mentioned before).

I think that by replacing the first section you got rid the problematic part were your playing sounding a bit choppy, though the original idea was neat as well.

The new section has good content, but in my opinion a little too much of it. I think you have squeezed in too many ideas and need to kill 1-2 darlings wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 21 2015, 11:35 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Feb 21 2015, 08:40 PM) *
I decided to tackle the whole enchilada. It's a long track, but I wanted to push it some. This is all a single take, warts and all without overdubs or fixes. I like large portions of what I did, but my timing suffered here and there, definitely near the end where I think I was getting a bit fatigued.

I used mostly E Aeolian but mixed was a fair amount of major tonalities. E, B, and A, along with minor phrasing intermixed for all. Here and there I did fiddle with phrygian.

First, the Enchilada.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/funkcollab1l

And then a little sauce or bad guacamole (depedning on where you bite)

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/funkcollab1solo

Edit: I resaved the file of the Whole Enchilada a little louder. I had the slider low as I was listening through monitors when I saved it. I left the solo only track alone.

Excellent Gene - that's a fine dish with lovely sauce indeed! biggrin.gif

You did great here.

Intro was excellent - my advice to others wanting to give this a go is to plan some specific licks for the intro, even if you plan on improvising throughout the rest of the take.

After that, the most important thing is that you follow the dynamics of the backing. If you get this, then you will realize you don't need to come up with a million new ideas (nobody can), instead you can re-use ideas but play the softer when backing is soft, louder when backing get intense etc.

And you did a great job following dynamics of the backing. You could improve it further by working with the volume knob. I had problems with my synth take because volume knob works differently and I could not really get that change in dynamics which is possible with guitar + tube amp.

You also did great exploring interesting note choices, and that really helped keeping your lines fresh throughout.

Towards the end, I started getting the impression you were running out of ideas (and so did I btw biggrin.gif ). Maybe plan a few borrowed famous melodies to use when you run out of ideas, that's what the great jazz sax players used to do. Good thing with this is that you don't really need to play that borrowed melody true to the original, on the contrary it's good if you mess it up and make it your own to the point that it can barely be recognized.

All in all this was a very good take.

I personally felt that just by working on a improvised take I expanded my horizons - it really forces you to make effective use of what you have already learnt, and get creative with variations etc. Remember many great guitarist play variations of their 5-10 favorite patterns 90% of the time (random numbers just to exemplify).

So to others thinking about giving this a shot - do it! Even if your take sounds bad to you, we will be able to give you feedback that hopefully can open your eyes to the possibilities (without needing to learn lots of new stuff). Also you don't need to solo over the entire thing, just a section is enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 22 2015, 12:22 AM
I thought I'd comment on a few sounds/licks I liked about certain tracks. I rarely listen to other submission before posting. All the great playing gets into my head and I cop the notes.

DeGroot - I liked the double stops esp around 13 seconds

Jim - I dug the lines between 11-16 and those following 19 seconds

Cael - I liked your ending of the second take starting around 20 seconds. I thought this ending was better structured, at least to my ears. Your other endings were cool too, but this one I felt flowed better.

Procyon - I've burned an effigy in your likeness to steal your motif solo'ing. Taking a line and changing it just enough to pull me along to the end and finish with coolness. I'm kidding really, I didn't burn an effigy in your likeness. I'd never do something like that myself. There is plenty of people on Ebay that'll do it for you for a small fee. If your second string breaks mid-riff, I had nothing to do with it.

Cheers.

Edit : Thanks Kristofer for the comments and tips. I may punch in/out record a couple of sections for practice. I think I shoulda came in a little earlier with the phrygian mode to mix things up after I had that short time in E major. I also decided to play chordal swells/stuff at certain times, at least the loudest middlelish section, and let them carry the tune while putting my faster lines when the energy was high but not necessarily the highest. It let the bass and drums riffs show instead of playing over them and making it muddy. I like Gabriel's funky guitar stuff. Plus it gave me a break. My guitar is strung with 12's and I haven't got the stamina i used to yet.

And that midi guitar is Hot...........how many dates did that thing buy you? Just askin.

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Feb 22 2015, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 22 2015, 06:28 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hey guys, Here is a new 'unpolished' version. Still kept the scratchy/muted kinda funky feel in this take. BTW, I was inspired by the takes I heard here. I have never heard anything quite like Kris' take with the midi controller and use of different modes. Very cool stuff! My intention is to practice this take a bit more and record something along with any suggestions about the tone and phrasing. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/funk-it-2

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 22 2015, 08:11 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 21 2015, 02:09 PM) *
Awesome to see you in a collab again AK! biggrin.gif

Your ideas here are solid as usual. There is unpredictability, for example the unexpected slide in the beginning and the occasional 'out' but very cool note choice. Your playing is groovy as well which is important over a funk backing such as this one.

The biggest problem I see are small timing issues that are all over the take, your chops are not quite up to par with all the cool ideas you have. This might be further amplified by the fact that you have two equally loud leads in your mix (?)

Examples: 00:04-00:05, 00:09, 00:16 - 00:18

The timing issues often coincide with sloppier playing / missed notes, and this is quite common. It clearly shows those licks must be practiced slowly first with relaxed technique.

----

00:23 16th note run - here I would personally like to see you try some other idea, since you have already done this type of run. It could pass in an improvised take, but for a written solo I would want to see something more inspired there.

---

Finally a comment regarding sound: I think a less heavy metal sound would lift your take and better suit the backing. Maybe try to find a sound with softer treble and a bit more sensitive to dynamics.

Hey Kris! Thanks a lot for the feedback man, I really appreciate all the detail you put into it. Your comments made me wonder about a couple of things so I have a few questions for you.
I did indeed record and use two takes to try and get that bigger layered type of thing happening. And those two takes are definitely not played exactly the same. Also I got lazy and in a hurry I think to post something here and I had actually planned on doing a few more takes to get things tighter and those first two were still actually in the idea stage. Ok enough excuses rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway, my first question is this.
Would it be a better idea to just clone the best take into another channel and move it in the timeline by a couple milliseconds to get a better layered effect rather than trying to play it exactly the same in both takes?
Or should I just buckle down and get it nice and tight for two takes and maybe change the tone slightly for one of them?
Any other suggestions on layering?

You mentioned the run/idea at the 23 second mark being done already and I was wondering what part you were comparing it to? The lick at 10 seconds or the next lick starting at about 13 seconds? I am just not sure which 2 parts you were comparing there.
Maybe I could change the first instance instead? Either way I am not married to the take although I did want to use the lydian b7 or mixo #4 that I played starting at the 10 second mark somehow.

It is interesting to me that you found the tone to be heavy on the treble side or maybe it is just too heavy overall. I actually thought the same especially when I listen to the take without the backing. Funny thing is that I actually boosted the tone thru the mids and highs after the fact with an EQ in my DAW because I thought it was a little muddy and maybe had too much bottom. biggrin.gif I don't have a good set of studio monitors and usually just use some headphones and my desktop speakers to mix or try and fix tone issues.
I think I am just going to try a different tone altogether like you suggest, something not quite so heavy. Something gainy but not too distorted I think is what you are suggesting?

One more question that is a bit off topic if that's ok. And this is concerning my DAW, which is Reaper by the way. And this is something I don't remember being a problem when I first started using it.
Anyway, it seems that after I record a take, the overall gain or volume seem to be increased and is clipping even though the backing by itself , or the guitar take by itself does not clip. Any ideas on what may be causing this? I have been having to reduce the levels in the main mix to fix the issue and/or the seperate guitar track as well sometimes even though either track doesn't clip by itself, like when one track or the other is muted. I am still pretty much a newbie at recording. rolleyes.gif

Thanks again man! I really appreciate and respect your opinion.

PS: Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't want to clog up this thread any more than I have already started to. biggrin.gif Or maybe the answers to some of my questions could benefit others here somehow.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 22 2015, 08:41 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 22 2015, 06:00 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 22 2015, 06:28 AM) *
Hey guys, Here is a new 'unpolished' version. Still kept the scratchy/muted kinda funky feel in this take. BTW, I was inspired by the takes I heard here. I have never heard anything quite like Kris' take with the midi controller and use of different modes. Very cool stuff! My intention is to practice this take a bit more and record something along with any suggestions about the tone and phrasing. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/funk-it-2

I think ideas just as last are very good. And from what I can hear (your lead is mixed very low) your playing is spot on until 00:17, after that I can hear the fast runs need more practicing.

Also, a suggestion is to play the very last line (starting at 00:26) higher up on the neck if you can. The idea is to give everything here, so that you effectively take the listener to a climax.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 22 2015, 08:11 AM) *
Hey Kris! Thanks a lot for the feedback man, I really appreciate all the detail you put into it. Your comments made me wonder about a couple of things so I have a few questions for you.
I did indeed record and use two takes to try and get that bigger layered type of thing happening. And those two takes are definitely not played exactly the same. Also I got lazy and in a hurry I think to post something here and I had actually planned on doing a few more takes to get things tighter and those first two were still actually in the idea stage. Ok enough excuses rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway, my first question is this.
Would it be a better idea to just clone the best take into another channel and move it in the timeline by a couple milliseconds to get a better layered effect rather than trying to play it exactly the same in both takes?
Or should I just buckle down and get it nice and tight for two takes and maybe change the tone slightly for one of them?
Any other suggestions on layering?

This is a really cool idea to experiment with, however it is a bit of an unusual thing to do for quirky lead lines and in a way I think you are making it way to difficult for yourself.

Bare in mind that I am having big problems achieving two perfectly synced takes with fairly simple riffs, I would never even bother with a lead line such as this one.

As for getting a thick sound you can come a very long way with stereo delay + reverb.

However you can also experiment as you suggested by coping the take into a new track, create the delay effect manually by moving it and then apply a pitch shift. It might even be worth experimenting with pitch correction for more unpredictability, though this doesn't work well for double stops.

I will get back later this evening to answer your other questions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 22 2015, 06:41 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 22 2015, 09:00 AM) *
This is a really cool idea to experiment with, however it is a bit of an unusual thing to do for quirky lead lines and in a way I think you are making it way to difficult for yourself.

Bare in mind that I am having big problems achieving two perfectly synced takes with fairly simple riffs, I would never even bother with a lead line such as this one.

As for getting a thick sound you can come a very long way with stereo delay + reverb.

However you can also experiment as you suggested by coping the take into a new track, create the delay effect manually by moving it and then apply a pitch shift. It might even be worth experimenting with pitch correction for more unpredictability, though this doesn't work well for double stops.

I will get back later this evening to answer your other questions!

Thanks Kris, Meanwhile, since I have some free time today, I think I will try and a find a more suitable tone to work with and also try some other ideas I have for runs with the backing.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 22 2015, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Feb 22 2015, 07:18 PM
AK Rich, I've a few ideas to share on double tracking. I'm sure we have all read how sound engineers may create 'thicker' sound by double tracking, or more, certain guitar parts. And in the last collab, ACDC, I actually doubled the lead track mainly to practice some techniques and see how it works in my DAW. But, as usual, take my comments with a grain of salt as I've no real experience aside from my limited use.

Double tracking a guitar part by playing it twice, as Kristofer posted, is way outside my technical skill and probably will always be outside my skill range unless it is a very simple line. So my comments are in regard to 'duplicating' one guitar track rather than doubling it for real.

1. Double a guitar track and pan the tracks left and right either all the way or in some degree but keep them identical in time. This can actually 'thicken' the sound as our brain does funky stuff with it. Although, you have to decrease the volume of both tracks so as not to clip the output.

2. Double the track, pan them to some degree opposite each other and then put a 5 or 8 band EQ on one track modifying one track's tonality. Try pushing the 800K up +1 to +3 or scoop it a little by adding a second bump somewhere between 125 and 250 while dipping around 500k. You won't hear separate tracks but a thicker sound as our brain hears one instrument since they are running in the same time but the tracks have a different tonal character. Use small adjustments at first and a fair amount of panning to check it out. Maybe have one track push everything above 800k and the second everything below 500K while keeping the rest flat on the 5/8 Band EQ.

3. If you are going to double the track and then move it slightly in time to the original, you really need to play dry or with very little delay/reverb. Essentially, by moving the track in time you are creating Delay and Reverb by hand. If the track already has delay and reverb, you end up adding delay/reverb to the delay and reverb already in the track, which generally creates bad things and bad sound. I've read that some will record both wet and dry signals and keep them in time but just add enough of the dry signal so that pick attack and articulation is improved or the guitar sound regains what is lost by the 'wet' track.

4. Generally, try to get the guitar to sound as close to what you want as possible first without manipulation. I pushed the sound around a little with double tracking/panning/subtle eq adjustments on the ACDC collab as I didn't spend the time to really get what I wanted out of my equipment. Whereas on the Funk Collab, I really tried to get the guitar to sound as I wanted first by fiddling with the amp tone controls, gain, the degree of Wah peddle sweep, and which pickup configuration and guitar tone control setting sounded best to my ears. As such, there is no post recording manipulation, doubling, or panning of the guitar track I recorded for Funk. I've found that I may be able to make a track more pleasing with manipulation but if it sounds off to start I can only get so much out of it in the end.

Hope some of this makes sense. And again, it's just my opinion on where to start in exploring EQ and guitar tracking ideas.

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Feb 22 2015, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:47 PM