My New Amp Is On The Way!
bmh1109
Nov 19 2007, 03:40 AM
GMC:er
My search for my dream amp is finally over. This morning i won an auction for a Marshall TSL60 head on ebay and I already can't wait for it to get here. I'll be sure to post pics up when i get it in. lemme know what you guys think biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Nov 19 2007, 03:47 AM
Nice! What are you going to use for a cabinet?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 19 2007, 05:06 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 19 2007, 03:40 AM) *
My search for my dream amp is finally over. This morning i won an auction for a Marshall TSL60 head on ebay and I already can't wait for it to get here. I'll be sure to post pics up when i get it in. lemme know what you guys think biggrin.gif

Great choise of amp smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 05:16 AM
Instructor
Congrats on your new toy! Make sure to make a review on it once you get it! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Nov 19 2007, 07:15 AM
I think im going to go with a 2x12 cabinet by Avatar speakers with 2 vintage 30s with a closed back. Should be pretty sweet. I will most definitely review it once i get it and work out some good settings, but that shouldn't be too hard.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Nov 19 2007, 07:36 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I got the TSL 100 head+1936 2x12 cab and for metal heads it is the best marshall to have because of the deep switch and the tone shift controls so you can scoop the mids out also you have the choice to keep and lead and rhythm channel for distortion with different levels for each so when playing live you can give your leads a boost really easily.

The rhythm channel can still be a bit harsh sounding though (think AC/DC) if you like that kind of sound its great but I prefer it to be a bit thicker.

As with any tube amp they sound better the more you krank em up cos the valves give you so much more saturation naturally without using so much gain (when i'm in my room I have it set to bout three quarters whereas at live volume you only need bout half)

The clean tone is fantastic as well with so much headroom its unreal and it has some really good versatility, you can go from super clean jazzy playing all the way to twangy country by using the gain on the clean channel.

If I were to summarise for these styles I would give this outta ten-

Metal:- 9 Rock:- 8 clean:- 10

Thats my quick review

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 19 2007, 08:06 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 19 2007, 07:15 AM) *
I think im going to go with a 2x12 cabinet by Avatar speakers with 2 vintage 30s with a closed back. Should be pretty sweet. I will most definitely review it once i get it and work out some good settings, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm fond of the vintage 30's and I've heard only good of Avatar. 2x12 is just about right too. Man, your setup will rock! cool.gif

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 19 2007, 09:06 AM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 19 2007, 12:15 AM) *

That what I was going to suggest. Here is one of my rigs:

I got the Hellatone 60's which are Celestion V30's which have been "aged" for 15 hours, so they are already broken in when you get them. You might consider them. I liked them so much I bought 4 raw speakers from Dave and put them in a 4X12 Marshall cab. They really sound great. I run the 2X12 and 4X12 in a stereo setup using a Carvin 50W stereo tube amp. Fantastic. Good luck.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Nov 19 2007, 01:21 PM
thanks for the suggestion about the hella tones, i read about those a while back and just forgot about them. Man i can't wait this setup should be awesome. The carvin amp i have is really only good for a clean amp and needs big time help in the distortion channel. I can't wait to have a nice functioning overdrive channel.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Nov 20 2007, 11:15 PM
I owned a TSL for years and while I loved it for distortion I never liked the clean channel on it. WAY too bright and crisp for my tastes. Sounds like solid state that has been cleaned up digitally. Eventually I set the Rhythm channel up to be clean and the Lead channel up for crunch. hehe

But still an awesome toy! Have fun man! cool.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Nov 21 2007, 05:29 AM
the parents wanted to know what i want for christmas now, that I've already procured my dream amp, so I think im going to get a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal, their noise gate pedal, and maybe a digital delay. Check out this video on youtube to see the overdrive and noise gate in action on a TSL60... the playing starts at about 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUJcvNb1jI

This post has been edited by bmh1109: Nov 21 2007, 05:30 AM

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 21 2007, 06:38 PM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 20 2007, 10:29 PM) *
the parents wanted to know what i want for christmas now, that I've already procured my dream amp, so I think im going to get a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal, their noise gate pedal, and maybe a digital delay. Check out this video on youtube to see the overdrive and noise gate in action on a TSL60... the playing starts at about 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUJcvNb1jI

Looks like a very versatile amp. I like the crunch/growl when the SD-1 kicks in. Don't forget that he is using a THD hot plate - very effective for taming the incredible volume of a tube amp - even a 60W tube amp. I assume you know what these do, if not do some research on the net. Oh yes, definitely need a digital delay.
Sounds like you will have a great Christmas - the best part early.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Nov 21 2007, 08:01 PM
yeah i know how brutal 60watts of tube power can be, and I do plan on getting a hotplate or a weber MASS for it, I'm just going to wait until I pick out my cab. Oh and a question about power attenuators, I know your supposed to buy one that at least handles the power of your amp but most come in a 50w or 100w denomination, the 50w's are much cheaper usually by about $50-$100 then the 100w's so would i be ok to use a 50watt attenuator on my 60 watt amps?

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 21 2007, 11:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 21 2007, 02:01 PM) *
yeah i know how brutal 60watts of tube power can be, and I do plan on getting a hotplate or a weber MASS for it, I'm just going to wait until I pick out my cab. Oh and a question about power attenuators, I know your supposed to buy one that at least handles the power of your amp but most come in a 50w or 100w denomination, the 50w's are much cheaper usually by about $50-$100 then the 100w's so would i be ok to use a 50watt attenuator on my 60 watt amps?

Sure, if you want to blow up the attenuator then destroy your output transformers due to the open circuit wink.gif

I guess, I mean no really - I wouldn't risk it as you could damage more than just the attenuator.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Nov 21 2007, 11:28 PM
so i guess the 100watter is is, I asked because their 100w version is verified to work with the 120w tube heads. I really don't wanna blow it up so I'll play it safe i guess

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Nov 22 2007, 03:41 AM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 21 2007, 05:28 PM) *
so i guess the 100watter is is, I asked because their 100w version is verified to work with the 120w tube heads. I really don't wanna blow it up so I'll play it safe i guess

This is common amongst many brands. I have yet to figure it out. My TSL100 head actually put out 120 watts. as I recall But if it says 50watts you can rest assured it can only handle 50 watts.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Rodnator
Dec 3 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Nov 21 2007, 08:01 PM) *

Hello BMH, I have a 25 year old 50 watt JCM 800 and a THD hot plate, Works great, sucks a little more tone with each decrease in volume, but not enough to be a problem. But I think they are sold based on the output impedence of your amp. Mine is 16 ohms therefore it is the Blue hot plate for 16 ohms. I think most of the Marshalls use the same. You need to be right on this or it can cause BAD problems. Good luck with the new amp your gonna love it.
Cheers
Rod

--------------------
Electric Guitars : Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power", Fender American Deluxe HSS QMT Stratocaster
Acoustic Guitars : Ovation 1771 LX Balladeer
Effects : Digitech Jammer Looper, Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory, Boss DD-3 delay, Keeley Modded Boss DS-1, Keeley Modded TS-808 Tube Screamer, Keeley compressor, Dunlop CryBaby Wah.
Amps : 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 50 watt Head (all original unmodified Electronics, Complete cosmetic restoration) It is the "Tone of the Gods" 1982 Marshall 1960a JCM 800 4x12 Slant Cabinet

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:56 AM