Legato Video Chat Tonight 7pm Gmt
Ben Higgins
Oct 23 2012, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I'm going to be covering 2 of my legato licks tonight in the chat. You've seen the licks before but this time we're going to be doing them with no thumbs ! That's right.. you can blame Todd Simpson for the idea !! laugh.gif

We're gonna hit Lick 4:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=516846

And Lick 32 which was previously played as a picking exercise.. but now it's all legato:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=597049

We're also going to work on reducing the amount of pick strokes we use, seeing how much we can do with just the fretting hand alone !

See you there, from 7pm GMT !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Oct 23 2012, 04:45 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 23 2012, 12:34 PM) *
Hey Guys, I'm going to be covering 2 of my legato licks tonight in the chat. You've seen the licks before but this time we're going to be doing them with no thumbs ! That's right.. you can blame Todd Simpson for the idea !! laugh.gif

We're gonna hit Lick 4:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=516846

And Lick 32 which was previously played as a picking exercise.. but now it's all legato:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=597049

We're also going to work on reducing the amount of pick strokes we use, seeing how much we can do with just the fretting hand alone !

See you there, from 7pm GMT !

One man's tonight at 7pm, is another man's 2pm, this work crap is killing me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 23 2012, 07:47 PM
First time at a video chat. for some reason couldnt send questions. If getting left arm tension, should i not be increasing speed ie keep up with you

This post has been edited by tonyk: Oct 23 2012, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 23 2012, 08:50 PM
I tried "clicking" everywhere to send message and get involved but to no avail. Im not good with computers

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 23 2012, 10:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (tonyk @ Oct 23 2012, 06:47 PM) *
First time at a video chat. for some reason couldnt send questions. If getting left arm tension, should i not be increasing speed ie keep up with you

OMG! I'm so sorry. On the rest time I got a little crazy about dongles. horse fencing and russian brides. Please ignore the Toom Foolery.

Sorry you to witness that.

Are you sure that you log into your account? I didn't see any new names.

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 23 2012, 11:11 PM
It said I was logged in at top.maybe I needed to relog as I was logged in from previous viewing

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 23 2012, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (tonyk @ Oct 23 2012, 10:11 PM) *
It said I was logged in at top.maybe I needed to relog as I was logged in from previous viewing

You could be log in at the chat...but I have no idea why..sometimes I can't access the Guitar Lessons until I log into the main web page of GMC. It's a really werid mechanism

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 23 2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks.will try again next time if I can get up early enough

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 23 2012, 11:28 PM
You can try it right now. The chat is independant of the video feed.

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 24 2012, 02:13 AM
Sorry korbitz, was away from computer.I logged out.went to gmc chat. logged back in. Tried single click,double click and rt click all over rectangular question box-only response was a line would be highlighted in blue but could not enter text.tried under box as well. am on macbook.thanks

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 24 2012, 06:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi tony. When logged in to the main page, open GMC CHAT in a new window/tab (right-click or ctrl-click on PC). This should take you to a page with a black rectangle somewhere in the upper left (the video stream area when someone is broadcasting) and below that is a chat window with user list on the right and at the bottom it has a strip to enter text and some tools menu.

If you dont get that chat area, it could be that you don't have Java installed.

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 24 2012, 08:37 AM
plug-in was the problem.now fixed. thanks to all for help

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 24 2012, 09:16 AM
QUOTE (tonyk @ Oct 24 2012, 09:37 AM) *
plug-in was the problem.now fixed. thanks to all for help

If u have problem with java plug-in, just click "run this time"

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 24 2012, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Glad you got the problem fixed, Tony. Sorry to hear that you couldn't get involved. Well, next time you will ! smile.gif

As for keeping up when you feel tense, it's a good idea to rest and allow the tension to go or at least diminish enough to allow you to carry on. I find that being cold is the biggest contributing factor to tensing up early on. Other than that, just getting to a speed that is challenging you will cause it to happen, which I guess is what was happening ?

Just stop for a bit, shake your hands out and try and go all 'floppy' laugh.gif Massage your forearms and hands to encourage good circulation. Don't stretch, resist that temptation. It's a very outdated method.. it's a well known fact now that static stretching is only good for after exercise, not before. It stretches muscles beyond their normal elasticity so they don't respond as efficiently because they're in a stretched state. It's like an elastic band. If you stretched it to the point where the band started losing elasticity, then it wouldn't have that springiness that it needs to do its job.

I've been trying to tell people this for ages laugh.gif Anyone can google static stretching vs dynamic stretching etc and read all this for themselves, it's well documented. smile.gif

P.S. When getting to higher speeds that people find hard to maintain, I encourage them to go for speed bursts. Basically, play the same tempo as I'm doing but only do one bit of it. I've copied an explanation I wrote about it on an older post:

I find that speed bursts are one of the best ways of teaching your hands to perform at a faster rate but performing it correctly at the same. How ? Well, the idea of speed bursts is that they are short.. so short that you don't get the chance to screw it up. One of the main reasons we screw up is because we're trying to process many things at once. If you only had one note to play you would find it hard to mess it up. But the more you've got to think about.. and the longer you've got to sustain it for, the more chance you have of stumbling.

So, with a speed burst you'll only do 1 or 2 reps of something. But you'll attempt to make that rep as perfect as possible. All you've got to do is concentrate everything you've got into that one tiny moment.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Oct 24 2012, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
tonyk
Oct 24 2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks Slavenko.Will go 'speed bursts' next time Ben

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:25 PM