2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Yet Another New Guitar Day!, Gibson Les Paul
jstcrsn
Jul 24 2010, 11:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 24 2010, 04:28 PM) *
This is going to sound crazy...but I already am getting rid of the Gibson! After playing it A LOT over the last 11 days, I realized that I just cannot stand the body shape. Everytime I reach for the mouse to either reset the backing track, or click on the next video, the guitar wants to fall off my lap body side first. The headstock actually swung up and clocked me in the head once! I had to catch the guitar so it didn't fall to the floor. I really like the sound...I really like the feel...but just can't come to terms with the body. I think it would be great to play standing up...but I always play sitting down. Believe me...nobody wants to hear me up on a stage! tongue.gif

The GOOD news is...I have an even swap setup with a guy who has an '07 Ibanez Prestige RG2550E!

i'm with you , get rid of the thang
its heavy you ,will probably change pick ups in the middle of a song because the switch is located in the worst place
22 frets- need i say more
laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2010, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
Well, to each his own smile.gif I'm sure there are tons of folks who will be thrilled to get their hands on it. It's really a great looking axe, but it sounds like it's time for it to find a new home. I hope you find something that fits in better for you. I've got a les paul shaped minarik and it is a bit wonky to sit with so I hear ya. Either way, great looking Axe.

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 24 2010, 11:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
hey : maybe you could swirl paint it for us folks at GMC

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 24 2010, 11:43 PM
Double cut version has the pickup switch @ bottom. Maybe I was just lucky getting the limited Double Cut '98 24 fret version. I've also played the originals, still like them, but I would agree the access to the higher frets and pickup switch isn't as easy.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 25 2010, 01:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 25 2010, 12:16 AM) *
i'm with you , get rid of the thang
its heavy you ,will probably change pick ups in the middle of a song because the switch is located in the worst place
22 frets- need i say more
laugh.gif

The guitar is heavy - but thanks to that it doesn't sound like a piece of Plywood with strings like all those Superstrats.

You won't hit the switch by accident unless you pick over the fretboard and have a gigantic arm movement! The switch sits perfectly for playing standing up, not in the way but easy and fast to reach. I prefer that position over having to reach between your knobs to swithc the pickup (while turning you volume or tone down by accident -.-)

How often does anyone REALLY need 24 frets?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 25 2010, 03:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 24 2010, 08:55 PM) *
The guitar is heavy - but thanks to that it doesn't sound like a piece of Plywood with strings like all those Superstrats.

You won't hit the switch by accident unless you pick over the fretboard and have a gigantic arm movement! The switch sits perfectly for playing standing up, not in the way but easy and fast to reach. I prefer that position over having to reach between your knobs to swithc the pickup (while turning you volume or tone down by accident -.-)

How often does anyone REALLY need 24 frets?

All good points. I never hit the pickup switch by accident, and I actually DID like the 10.5 pound feel to it! But to compare strats to plywood? You're way off on that one.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 25 2010, 12:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Strats sound good but I have never heard a Strat that could remotely compete being played next to a good Les Paul.
You already have some Strats and superstrats and when you sell the LP now you are going to miss it's tone or feel sooner or later.

My favourite story regarding this (I have told it two or three times already in this forum^^):

I was at my musicstore in the room where all the super expensive boutique amps are stored and there was this other guy testing guitars. He played an ESP Horizon (great sounding Superstrat) and he was ripping leads and heavy riffs through this Bogner or Diezel amp. The salesman walks into the room and the guy with the ESP says: This is the best sounding metal guitar ever! Listen to this heavy sound *plays a heavy riff*.

The salesman smiled: Really? Then try this *Metal* axe! And he grabs a Les Paul with vintage specs of the wall.
The ESP dude laughs out loud: This? THIS! That's a grandpas blues guitar, it doesn't even have highgain pickups...

The salesman unplugs the ESP, plugs in the Les Paul and BOOM
Louder, Tighter, Heavier than the ESP! The tone was unbelievably better than with the ESP. The diffrence was overwhelming.
The ESP dude had his jaw on the floor: How can this sound so heavy and tight? Those are vintage low output pickups! Even the harmonics are stronger compared to the Horizon!
Wood and build quality makes the diffrence said the salesman. Imagine what a beast this Les Paul would be if it had the same pickups the Esp already has...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 25 2010, 12:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
And I've also never heard a Les Paul that could compete with a Strat for clean tones. Two different animals for two different things. It doesn't work for me...it does for you. Don't take it personally!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 25 2010, 05:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jul 25 2010, 12:35 PM) *
And I've also never heard a Les Paul that could compete with a Strat for clean tones. Two different animals for two different things. It doesn't work for me...it does for you. Don't take it personally!

You're right of course, thats why you need both! biggrin.gif

Ive tried to wean myself off Les Pauls but I just cant, heavy, uncomfortable, totally crap top fret access, its all true but that sound, man, there is nothing in the world that can match that sound for rock music.
You sound like you've made your mind up and thatts fair enough, I wouldnt force my opinions on anyone but beware, there is no way you will get that thump from the Ibanez, it will be a way more toppy sound with not as much sustain which is great for shredding and, well, not much else really!
Just promise me you wont be getting rid of the strat anytime soon....or I'll have to send the vintage boys round! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 25 2010, 06:25 PM
My Les Paul Standard DC is not that heavy, quite light compared to a 50th Fender Strat I use to have, it's very comfortable, and has the best fret access all over a slim sexy neck as like most double cuts. I wouldn't give it up, perfer it way over the fender, but that's my baby...

You have to find something for your own style and something your'll truthly love to be hook on playing it daily!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 24 2010, 09:45 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Beautiful guitar, I have the same model and I love it, great choice :-)

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:12 PM