What To Practice...
wakefield10
Feb 26 2008, 05:28 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone, I just joined GMC. smile.gif

I been playing the guitar on and off for 3 years never really getting anywhere, and now I've decided to really get into it but im not sure about what to practice.

I've learnt the minor pentatonic boxes and now moving them about and linking them, but where do I go from here?

Whenever I try and improvise over a backing track all my playing sounds the same, and I don't really understand what to play over certain chords, what can i do about this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 05:30 PM
Go through some of Andrew's theory and also learn the major scale which is another key scale to know.

Also record a progression and keep playing over it until you're happy with it. Don't be afraid to drift out of the boxes from time to time. Try to hear the notes before you play them and this can help with writing a nice melody smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 26 2008, 05:31 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 26 2008, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Feb 26 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Hi everyone, I just joined GMC. smile.gif

I been playing the guitar on and off for 3 years never really getting anywhere, and now I've decided to really get into it but im not sure about what to practice.

I've learnt the minor pentatonic boxes and now moving them about and linking them, but where do I go from here?

Whenever I try and improvise over a backing track all my playing sounds the same, and I don't really understand what to play over certain chords, what can i do about this?

Welcoe to GMC man... I would suggest you look at Kris 101 lessons

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 26 2008, 05:37 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi there smile.gif

Welcome to GMC !! Ok so as I understand it, youve been playing for a few years with no real direction? If you understand how to shift between the pentatonic boxes, but you feel your playings a little flat then a good course of action would be to learn some more pentatonic licks. We have dozens of lessons here that uses licks in the pentatonic scale, Gabriels Blues licks come to mind, Ivans done some cool ones and also David Walliman. Once youve mastered some of these lessons you can apply the licks to your own improvisations! smile.gif

With regards to general direction in terms of daily practicing. You need to ask yourself what kind of techniques you wish to use in your playing. Alternate picking is a key skill to have in you guitar arsenal, so check out any lessons that build this technique up !! The general idea with GMC is to practice lessons with the skills you wish to build upon.

If you have any more questions just ask !:)

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Feb 26 2008, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Feb 26 2008, 04:30 PM) *
Welcoe to GMC man... I would suggest you look at Kris 101 lessons

yeh im doing the pentatonic shifting ones at the moment, which are quite helpful.

What would help my phrasing though, if I play over a backing track its like I "stick" to it and kind of dont play my own stuff, sorry if it not very clear what I mean but i think its like where I play and because maybe I'm not very good at timing I dont venture out and do different kind of notes I just hit them with the beat of the backing track :s

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 26 2008, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (wakefield10 @ Feb 26 2008, 04:40 PM) *
yeh im doing the pentatonic shifting ones at the moment, which are quite helpful.

What would help my phrasing though, if I play over a backing track its like I "stick" to it and kind of dont play my own stuff, sorry if it not very clear what I mean but i think its like where I play and because maybe I'm not very good at timing I dont venture out and do different kind of notes I just hit them with the beat of the backing track :s

Maybe give Muris' note timing lesson a go?

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...iming-exercise/

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 26 2008, 05:44 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Feb 26 2008, 05:48 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 26 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Maybe give Muris' note timing lesson a go?

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...iming-exercise/

thanks you two, I'll give those a try but I before I do the timing one I gonna do kris's beginner metronome lesson. In all the time I've played I have never bothered to use one.

I have played for a while, but never really properly so I'm still definitely a beginner, hopefully the lessons won't be too hard

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 26 2008, 08:57 PM
Instructor
I think you will benefit the most if you go and check out theory lessons from Andrew, because you can then know what to practice in order to get somewhere, and that is your goal right? You can make a system of workouts, like chords, triads, arpeggios, tapping, or whatever, and practice that through a daily routine.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
Feb 28 2008, 12:04 AM
The Dark Canuck
Welcome! It's nice to have another female aboard the good ship GMC smile.gif

Just to add to all the great suggestions, I'd like to mention the wonderful lesson planner on the main page. It allows you to pick your level of ability (beginner, intermediate etc) and also the style to which you want (acoustic, rock, metal etc) and suggests lessons for you to practice. You can arrange the suggested lessons in any order you want and save it. You can also bookmark lessons for easier access...and to store your favourites wink.gif

It's a great feature as there are so many great lessons here at GMC and this gives you a starting off point. Also helps put a bit of structure to your practice sessions. I hope you have fun here at GMC and don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone here is always eager to help out.

rok

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Feb 28 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm in the same boat you are, but I've noticed huge gains in my speed and accuracy by practicing everything to a metronome.

I would recommend Muris's Legato Lesson for accuracy, Pavel's alternate picking lessons for AP technique, Marcus's Vibrato lessons for bending, and Kris's 101 lessons for the basics.

Practice everything to a metronome and you will never go wrong!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
wakefield10
Mar 2 2008, 12:50 AM
hey rokchik and fatsrat, sorry for not replying i didnt realise you'd posted.

I'll have a look at that lesson planner and those lessons you've suggested fatstrat. Thing is I keep looking at different lessons but what I need is structure, maybe I could do 1.5 hrs on technique, .5 on learning a song and maybe another half an hour on improv.

do you think that sounds like a decent plan?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2008, 12:33 PM
Instructor
I already wrote that you need a system of exercises. GO through ANdrew's theory board and read a little about building scales and such. You must first learn major scale and everything else that goes with it and that is modes and chords. Just make a regular daily plan of exercises and stick with it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:11 AM