Problems With Timing
lee
Mar 23 2008, 12:58 AM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I'm having problems with timing,but only within a song.I understand the metronome lesson,
but i can't seem to apply that knowledge while playing a song.Most songs i attempt to play
are in common time and not that fast.I think i'm counting wrong or something like that.At
this point i feel like an idiot.PLEASE HELP

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Col Roberts
Mar 23 2008, 01:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (lee @ Mar 23 2008, 09:58 AM) *
Hi all,

I'm having problems with timing,but only within a song.I understand the metronome lesson,
but i can't seem to apply that knowledge while playing a song.Most songs i attempt to play
are in common time and not that fast.I think i'm counting wrong or something like that.At
this point i feel like an idiot.PLEASE HELP

Hello Lee,
From your description I don't quite understand what the problem is. However, when I'm learning a new lesson I concentrate on the slower version of the playing in each video clip. I don't actually do any counting. Once I can play these slower versions in time, I then start to play against the slowest backing track and build up to speed from there. The only time I count is with a metronome, when practising some small difficult parts of a lesson. I have posted a request on the GMC Site Feedback Board to do with timing, you might want to add something to that. I can understand your frustration but everyone hits a problem that takes a lot of work to overcome, but once you do it gives you great feeling of achievement and the ability to improve your playing.

Good Luck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
lee
Mar 23 2008, 05:11 AM
QUOTE (Col Roberts @ Mar 22 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Hello Lee,
From your description I don't quite understand what the problem is. However, when I'm learning a new lesson I concentrate on the slower version of the playing in each video clip. I don't actually do any counting. Once I can play these slower versions in time, I then start to play against the slowest backing track and build up to speed from there. The only time I count is with a metronome, when practising some small difficult parts of a lesson. I have posted a request on the GMC Site Feedback Board to do with timing, you might want to add something to that. I can understand your frustration but everyone hits a problem that takes a lot of work to overcome, but once you do it gives you great feeling of achievement and the ability to improve your playing.

Good Luck.

Thanks Col

When i attempt to play a song i count the beats in a bar.Four beats per bar in common time.
When i use the metronome i count exactly how the lesson tells me to.If the song has mostly eighth
notes i find myself counting 1-2 1-2 instead of 1-2-3-4 with the beat of the song.This causes me to
lose time.The song sounds alot better if i don't count, but i don't want to develop bad habits.I don't
have a backing track for the song i'm trying to learn.I guess what i need to know is how to keep
time in a song that i don't have a backing track for.Should i count while playing the song or
just try to feel it?

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 23 2008, 05:41 AM
This is really depends to individual. Some said count while practising but I would said practise the song and feel with it until you got enough muscle memory. After that, practise the song again with metronome with normal bpm.

If you unable to catch up the tempo, then you need to lower the tempo down by a little and practise with metronome.

I think what you trying to say is you cant count and concentrate playing at the same time. This would be overcome by practising and once you master the song with your muscle memory, by that time I'm sure you can count it and practise along with it.

+Quote Post
lee
Mar 23 2008, 05:53 AM
QUOTE (SensE @ Mar 22 2008, 11:41 PM) *
This is really depends to individual. Some said count while practising but I would said practise the song and feel with it until you got enough muscle memory. After that, practise the song again with metronome with normal bpm.

If you unable to catch up the tempo, then you need to lower the tempo down by a little and practise with metronome.

I think what you trying to say is you cant count and concentrate playing at the same time. This would be overcome by practising and once you master the song with your muscle memory, by that time I'm sure you can count it and practise along with it.

Thanks SensE

I guess i'm trying to count indivdual notes instead of beats per bar.Just like in the metronome lesson.
Should i count the beats in a bar,or notes like in the metronome lesson?I think i'm possibly over
thinking while trying to play a song.

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 23 2008, 07:06 AM
This is a good question. In the beginning, I would suggest practise the metronome lesson by counting each notes.

I think what you should do now is pick a small riff or few bars of the song and keep practising with metronome by counting every single individual notes. I think you can set your metronome to a particular beat. For example, like 3 notes per beat, 4 notes per beats,and etc

After you familiarize the beats>>>>triplet, duplet, or whatever it is. Then, practise the whole song and remember it with ur muscle memory..Then repeat What I mentioned to you from the previous post. ^ ^

+Quote Post
kahall
Mar 23 2008, 07:26 AM
Learning Roadie
I finally gave up trying to count. Now I just memorize a lesson so I do not have to think about it while also listening to the instructor play it it over and over, until it is in my head. Then I just FEEL it over the backing track. I would assume this will work for me on any song really, but I am just sticking to the awesome lessons here for now.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
lee
Mar 23 2008, 07:38 AM
QUOTE (SensE @ Mar 23 2008, 01:06 AM) *
This is a good question. In the beginning, I would suggest practise the metronome lesson by counting each notes.

I think what you should do now is pick a small riff or few bars of the song and keep practising with metronome by counting every single individual notes. I think you can set your metronome to a particular beat. For example, like 3 notes per beat, 4 notes per beats,and etc

After you familiarize the beats>>>>triplet, duplet, or whatever it is. Then, practise the whole song and remember it with ur muscle memory..Then repeat What I mentioned to you from the previous post. ^ ^

Thanks SensE

I'll try that and see what happens.

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 23 2008, 08:39 AM
You're welcome ! Lets rock !

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 23 2008, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (kahall @ Mar 23 2008, 07:26 AM) *
I finally gave up trying to count. Now I just memorize a lesson so I do not have to think about it while also listening to the instructor play it it over and over, until it is in my head. Then I just FEEL it over the backing track. I would assume this will work for me on any song really, but I am just sticking to the awesome lessons here for now.

I do the exact same as you....I think it is very hard sitting with a metronome and count so i listened to the song and try to figure at the rythm while i play

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 23 2008, 10:53 AM
Learning Tone Guru
+1 to actually feeling the rythm.. dont depend on you mind too much. give in your heart and try to HEAR what you are playing.. either your playing is good, or is bad - if it is bad, play slower and directly with him.. or not play, just whistle the melody..

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 23 2008, 02:35 PM
Instructor
It would be very wise to tap your foot and count beats in your head while playing, but not on loud. If you do this often it gets in the habit and then you will easily pick up any beat or pattern that you come across.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
lee
Mar 23 2008, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 23 2008, 08:35 AM) *
It would be very wise to tap your foot and count beats in your head while playing, but not on loud. If you do this often it gets in the habit and then you will easily pick up any beat or pattern that you come across.

Thanks Milenkovic

Should i count individual notes or beats per measure?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:45 PM