Iphone Recording, Tascam iM2
PosterBoy
Aug 12 2012, 07:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I was amazed at the quality that Mark gets on his video demos, and apart from great guitar, amp and skill

He's start just using his iphone and with a Tascam iM2 . great results

Tascam iM2

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Ben Higgins
Aug 12 2012, 04:45 PM
Instructor
What a tone !! ohmy.gif

And great choice of riff - Metal Gods ! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2012, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
That little mic is really impressive. The recording elements are evidently the same spec as they use in some of their pro hand held recorders. If you've got an iPhone or iPod, getting one of these turns your device in to a great quality portable recording device.

Using a separate recording device (E.G. NOT USING THE AUDIO ON THE CAMERA) is the secret sauce to making great sounding videos. It's often quite frustrating on youtube to click on a "Review" of a piece of gear and then hear the shrill sound of an on camera mic distorting and buckling under the strain of medium volume amplification.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 12 2012, 02:57 AM) *
I was amazed at the quality that Mark gets on his video demos, and apart from great guitar, amp and skill

He's start just using his iphone and with a Tascam iM2 . great results

Tascam iM2

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 13 2012, 02:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
When it comes to gear reviews, I actually prefer it when it is recorded with such a microphone. You get to hear how the 412 cab interacts with the room - a half stack gets its characteristic sound from pushing large amounts of air. When it is mic'ed with a single SM57, it really narrows the tone down to a particular part of the speaker. Plus the SM57 imparts its own tone on whats being recorded.

Whenever we play a half stack, we don't play with our ear right up against the speaker, but we usually stand a distance away from the cab. And I'm sure many of you noticed that the cab sounds different depending on where you're standing in the room.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2012, 05:20 AM
Instructor
Great video and tone!! It's amazing how many great things you can do with an iphone or ipad.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2012, 05:41 AM
Egad! I have to say it's just no help for me. I really want to hear what gear sounds like actually recorded as I"m going to use it to record smile.gif The live mic on a handy cam is just not up to the task typically. sad.gif

This thought at least had the courtesy to use a decent iphone mic. It sounds great! If everyone would do two system sound (as this guy does) all the audio problems on youtube might not be as bad.

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 12 2012, 09:00 PM) *
When it comes to gear reviews, I actually prefer it when it is recorded with such a microphone. You get to hear how the 412 cab interacts with the room - a half stack gets its characteristic sound from pushing large amounts of air. When it is mic'ed with a single SM57, it really narrows the tone down to a particular part of the speaker. Plus the SM57 imparts its own tone on whats being recorded.

Whenever we play a half stack, we don't play with our ear right up against the speaker, but we usually stand a distance away from the cab. And I'm sure many of you noticed that the cab sounds different depending on where you're standing in the room.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 13 2012, 05:43 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 13 2012, 06:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 13 2012, 12:41 AM) *
Egad! I have to say it's just no help for me. I really want to hear what gear sounds like actually recorded as I"m going to use it to record smile.gif The live mic on a handy cam is just not up to the task typically. sad.gif

This thought at least had the courtesy to use a decent iphone mic. It sounds great! If everyone would do two system sound (as this guy does) all the audio problems on youtube might not be as bad.

Yes, most demos recorded with camera mics do sound like wet farts laugh.gif But when demos are recorded like this they usually sound good. What you're saying though really points out a difference in perspective: You want to hear what it sounds like recorded and I want to hear what it sounds like when playing in a room. This is obviously because you record and I don't biggrin.gif

I would like to see amp demos done with binaural recording methods, but that probably won't happen anytime soon laugh.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 13 2012, 11:44 AM
Instructor
However it's captured, that amp sounds damn sexy !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2012, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 13 2012, 06:44 AM) *
However it's captured, that amp sounds damn sexy !! cool.gif

This particular guy used a really nice mic so he took the "real recording" approach. Thus is sound really spiff!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 14 2012, 09:23 AM
Instructor
The tone this guy is getting sounds much more distorted and heavy than what I hear that Phil X demoing with the Friedman. Is he using anything else with it, do you know ? Or is he just playing it with a higher gain setting ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 14 2012, 12:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Mark is a lover of the High Gain.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:34 PM