> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Yngwie Style Bending, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

IceThrone
Jul 27 2020, 06:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Yngwie Style Bending by Ben Higgins

I wanted to the lesson because of the beautiful melody. This was basically a trial and error lesson trying to get that bend and vibrato just right. I couldnt do the wide vibrator like Ben so opted for what I can do at the moment, the more simpler up and down vibrato.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2020, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Great choice! You are getting close but both your vibrato and bending technique need some more work. The next goal is to make the vibrato more consistent and connected with the groove, and your bending pitch more precise.

One important thing is to remember that vibrato should start from your wrist, not your finger. This issue appears mostly when you do it with your 1st finger. Compare it with Ben's and you'll notice the difference. (for example at 00:28 in your video).

A good exercise for bending is to play the target note, and then bend to this note. This is a simple exercise but very effective to improve the technique and be more precise with pitches.

Other elements sound good to me, keep on the hard work! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 27 2020, 08:59 PM
GMC Founder
Cool mate, I cannot imagine a better choice of lesson for you. This is the perfect opportunity to apply the bends you practiced in your previous REC. Keep playing this one over and over for as long as you are inspired - and just keep try to improve very little detail. And record yourself often to listen back to it and decide on what you need to improve.

Gab is spot on with his comments.

I would also like to add that the bend at 00:14 seriously misses the target. It really does not matter for this take - because we can see you are well on your way and doing great progress.

However if this happens in a live setting - it might be better to turn that note into heavy vibrato / slide / whammy dive etc. If you hear the note is wrong but you are unsure how to fix it - it is better to kill it with style.

This might sound strange, but pro musicians do this all the time, especially singers. Greg Howe's glissando vibrato is also a good example of this: a workaround that turned into a really cool and unique technique.

Keep up the hard work, you get a 6 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2020, 02:13 AM
GMC:er
This is a challenging REC even though it may sound like something fairly simple on first listen. I'll try not to repeat what has been said here.

I noticed at 24 seconds in that you don't do any audible vibrato at the top of the bend. Ben puts vibrato at the top of each bend and keeps it to pitch which is not easy. Also, Notice Ben's hand technique for his bends. his finger, even when using just one for vibrato, is not straight up and down. His hand is closer to the head stock and his finger is closer to the body which puts his finger at an angle. That makes it easier for him to use his wrist for vibrato. Good vibrato starts from the wrist forward, not the finger heading back. Work on creating single finger, single note vibrato all by itself, that is nice and wide and full.

Notice also Bens timing on vibrato. He starts with the note at a rest point, then adds vibrato which builds up. This creates a dynamic vibe when doing vibrato.

Bending to pitch is also a tough thing. In this rec you've got to get a lot of notes to pitch and then add vibrato on several that are at the peak bend point without losing pitch. Just like working on vibrato, isolation is key. Pick one note, one string. Bend it to pitch and work on trying to add vibrato at the peak of the bend and maintain pitch. You can use a guitar tuner, if needed, (without vibrato) to see if you have bent a note to pitch. Until you trust your ears, a tuner can let you see what note is being played.

This is a complicated rec despite it sounding less technical than some other yngwie style lessons. It's got two techniques that are crucial and often taken for granted. Bending to pitch and vibrato. These techniques must be well in hand before any player can create a cool guitar solo imho. It's almost impossible to solo without them.

This is a lot of work and you are well on your way. You get a 7 from me.

Todd

QUOTE (IceThrone @ Jul 27 2020, 01:09 AM) *
Original lesson: Yngwie Style Bending by Ben Higgins

I wanted to the lesson because of the beautiful melody. This was basically a trial and error lesson trying to get that bend and vibrato just right. I couldnt do the wide vibrator like Ben so opted for what I can do at the moment, the more simpler up and down vibrato.

<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 29 2020, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Hey there again.

This lesson has a repeatable construction (technically) - it's based on vibrato and bend mechanics. I belive the most critical at this point is what Gabriel mentioned in his feedback - your vibrato and bendind still it's comming 100% from teh wrist. You will continue to have problems with bogh until you figure out how to rest your left hand so you could have a solid resting point while you push/pull the string.

I can notice you are trying to make it properly. That's a good news and you need to continue. Focus on the bottom of your left index finger. You should be able to not pull tehstring wit ha finger (it need to be stiff so the wrist will control it, but should not angle as in your take)

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 20 2020, 06:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:32 AM