The Perfect Usb Hub For Music Production?
Todd Simpson
Dec 5 2018, 08:10 PM
GMC:er
I've tried more usb hubs than I can even remember. This one little bit of technology is often overlooked when folks are building their home studio. Typically, folks just use whatever hub they have. I found out the hard way, that the right usb hub is just as important as the right monitors in terms of avoiding headaches that get in the way of making music. I've been trying to help phil work through some issues he is having with his current setup and it made me think about how many issues I've worked through on the way to finding out I was using the wrong usb hub. I don't think phils hub is his issue. However, having the right hub can prevent wads of headaches.
This is the hub I use on my music computer. I had several requirements.
WHAT MAKES THE PERFECT STUDIO USB HUB?
  • 1.)Aluminum construction (not flimsy plastic, also dissipates heat very well)
  • 2.)USB 3.0 (Inadeqate bandwidth causes problems)
  • 3.)Powered (non powered hubs should be avoided on production systems imho)
  • 4.)Quick Charge Ports (dedicated ports for charging devices)5.)Price (some ports with these features are crazy pricey)
  • 5.)Surge/Over Current Protection (Just a bit too much power going through your hub can damage your expensive devices like your interface/helix/etc.)

Here is the one hub that is still part of my rig. I've thrown away all the others. 3 Year warranty and it runs about $50. It is more than a cheap plastic hub, but skimping on the thing most of your data is going to move through is not a great idea.
https://amzn.to/2SsXUZ9
Attached Image
Anyone else have a fave bit of kit that is guitar related but not guitar/monitors/etc?
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 5 2018, 08:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 5 2018, 08:47 PM
Pedal board power supply. Don't skimp, especially if you wanna record or play live. Cheap ones suck and add noise. I won't name any here but if you have between $350 and $1000 worth of pedals, what are you doing with a $50 (or less) power supply - ?
This is the gold standard though there are now many other companies making great pwr splys ... http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
Cioks, Strymon, T-Rex and now Visual Sound (not their 1-spots) make high-end power supplies.

Same for D.I.s I know they're not sexy as pieces of gear go but a cheap one can easily ruin your session or gig. Conversely, a good one can be a major problem solver.
http://www.radialeng.com/comparing-direct-boxes

Is the power dirty/noisy in your house, rehearsal and/or recording space? Try a high-end power strip or better yet - power distributor.
https://www.tripplite.com/products/catalog?...HEaArQfEALw_wcB

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 6 2018, 04:38 AM
These are all GREAT suggestions from KEN. These devices are not sexy so they usually are the last things folks spend money on in their home studios. As a result, many home studios suffer from hum/clicks/pops related to "dirty power" and other issues. I've seen those pedals boards with thousands worth of boutique pedals and and yet a very cheap power supply. Good post!
I use two staggered UPS devices for powering my audio setup. The hard drives are separate from the laptop and monitor. So I use 2 rack mount ups units. They have saved my bacon more times than I can count. Together, they cost as much as a decent guitar. They are more important in any studio though than having a spare guitar. Bad power equals bad sound.
Attached Image

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 5 2018, 03:47 PM) *
Pedal board power supply. Don't skimp, especially if you wanna record or play live. Cheap ones suck and add noise. I won't name any here but if you have between $350 and $1000 worth of pedals, what are you doing with a $50 (or less) power supply - ?
This is the gold standard though there are now many other companies making great pwr splys ... http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
Cioks, Strymon, T-Rex and now Visual Sound (not their 1-spots) make high-end power supplies.

Same for D.I.s I know they're not sexy as pieces of gear go but a cheap one can easily ruin your session or gig. Conversely, a good one can be a major problem solver.
http://www.radialeng.com/comparing-direct-boxes

Is the power dirty/noisy in your house, rehearsal and/or recording space? Try a high-end power strip or better yet - power distributor.
https://www.tripplite.com/products/catalog?...HEaArQfEALw_wcB

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 6 2018, 04:44 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2018, 08:35 AM
GMC Founder
Very informative. I have wondered about this for a while as I never seem to have enough usb ports. The one you use is not something you typically find in regular stores where I live.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 6 2018, 10:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 6 2018, 08:35 AM) *
Very informative. I have wondered about this for a while as I never seem to have enough usb ports. The one you use is not something you typically find in regular stores where I live.

Never seen something like this either here. Not even in regular computer stores. Mind you, I haven't "actively" looked for it.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 6 2018, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 6 2018, 02:42 AM) *
Never seen something like this either here. Not even in regular computer stores. Mind you, I haven't "actively" looked for it.

You don't find stuff like that in 'shops' here either.
That's pretty much an on-line only item.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2018, 07:43 AM
I had the same problem!! All the ones I found in local stores were made of plastic. None of them had a sturdy aluminum housing. Few of them had internal lighting which is handy in a dark studio, few had dedicated charge ports and NONE had surge/over current protection.

In short, they were all the cheap, plastic, crappy variety that kept causing noise/issues in my setup. I finally got sick of it and started trying to find out what pro studios were using. After much diggins, I found several things kept coming up, including usb 3, aluminum housing, surge/current protection, powered, etc. So I went looking for one that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I found several chinese builds that were well reviewed and didn't cost crazy money. I bought two and kept one. It's been solid ever since.

Have to buy these online as I still have yet to find them in any local stores.

Todd
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 6 2018, 03:35 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:41 AM